PDA

View Full Version : Cali has an ouchie...CONEHEAD!!

Queen of Poop
01-27-2010, 07:30 AM
...but I'm not sure it hurts her. She was standing on me last night, she is an all white cat. I noticed a dark spot in her right armpit. Once I wrangle her down and get a look see I note she has a quarter size patch of fur that is completely gone and a nice patch of pink skin showing. Reexamined the area this morning (Dr Gayle, examining a squirming kitty on the kitchen island at 4 am this morning). She doesn't seem bothered by it, let me touch it. I will be calling the vet this morning to see if we can get this anomoly checked out. :confused:

Queen of Poop
01-27-2010, 09:31 AM
Cali will be seeing the vet tomorrow at 6:30 pm.

aTailOf2Kitties
01-27-2010, 09:57 AM
that's one of those hard-to-reach spots on a cat's body. Fur gets matted there more easily than elsewhere. If the cat can't de-tangle the mat sometimes the whole wad gets pulled out by the roots. This is most common in long-haired cats or older individuals who can't groom themselves as well as they used to.

lvpets2002
01-27-2010, 10:17 AM
:) I so agree.. However go ahead & have your baby checked out.. Hope all is ok.. Keep us posted ok.. Good Luck wittle baby..
that's one of those hard-to-reach spots on a cat's body. Fur gets matted there more easily than elsewhere. If the cat can't de-tangle the mat sometimes the whole wad gets pulled out by the roots. This is most common in long-haired cats or older individuals who can't groom themselves as well as they used to.

Catty1
01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Do she and Diego playfight? It's easy for some fur to go missing when that happens.

Hope all checks out at the vet!:love:

Queen of Poop
01-27-2010, 10:58 AM
I checked her over very well this morning and didn't find any mats or other cause for concern. It's such a weird spot that I can't fathom what could have happened. Diego has been being a bossy boy lately and hasn't been very nice to his sister. I bought a feliway diffuser and thought he was behaving much better since. Perhaps the vet can give me a clearer idea of what caused this.

krazyaboutkatz
01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I hope it's nothing serious. Good luck at the vet tomorrow.:)

Queen of Poop
01-28-2010, 09:07 PM
My Miss Cali is a CONEHEAD. She has to wear the cone for a week. I have to apply ointment to her ouchie 3x a day for the next week. She's got a skin infection.

krazyaboutkatz
01-28-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear that she has to wear a cone but at least you caught this early before it spread. Did your vet say it's due to allergies or what may have caused this? I hope she'll heal up quickly.

Medusa
01-29-2010, 06:20 AM
Oh boy, I'm sorry about the cone. Yodie hated hers but she bounced right back as soon as it was off. How in the world did Cali get a skin infection? Sure hope it gets better quickly.

Queen of Poop
01-29-2010, 07:33 AM
Vet thinks it might have been rough play with Diego that led to the ouchie in her armpit. Personally, I think she was trying to shave her armpits and got a little carried away!!! She's not a fan of the cone, but at least Diego leaves her alone when she's got it on. I got some photos of her last night, will post them when I get home later.

Queen of Poop
01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
So Cali wore her cone head all day. The bald patch increased exponentially in size anyway. It's coming down the inside of her right arm now. I called the vet as soon as I got home. They gave me some antibiotics for Miss Cali. I wondered how I'd give her the pill. No worries, give her a few whiskas temptations, toss the pill in the pile and GONE! Everything, pill and all. That was easy. Will keep a close eye on this situation and we will head back to the vets if it is getting any worse.

Catty1
01-29-2010, 08:49 PM
How strange! I hope that the antibiotics along with the ointment will help.

Hugs to sweet Cali!:love::love:

Kirsten
01-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Sounds strange... Did your vet test for mycosis, and other skin problems?

Kirsten

Queen of Poop
01-30-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm not sure what they tested for. They took a swab and a glass slide. They told me it was a bacterial infection. It doesn't look any worse this morning so that is good, I hope. The minute I take the cone off she's licking the site so no relief for her. I think I figured how she did it though. She likes to stuff her toy mousie under the closet door and really likes to get her paw under the door. She must have caught a corner in her armpit and ouchie after that. :(

Catty1
02-10-2010, 05:22 PM
How is Cali doing today?

Queen of Poop
02-11-2010, 07:32 AM
She's been off the meds and cone for a while now. Her armpit is still bald but she is leaving it alone. I check every day to see that she's not working on it and she's not. So I guess she is better.