PDA

View Full Version : Sterling......

jenluckenbach
01-20-2010, 02:52 AM
remember when Jim was blocked? http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=154298

Well, I am up with Sterling now with much the same problem.

I gave the sub Q and meds (as before) so we will watch him until I can call he vet.

I am truly concidering going back to feeding Royal Canin SO to ALL again, and take them off of the Innova Evo. :(

Kirsten
01-20-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm very sorry, Jen, this is scary stuff! Does he have crystals? I hope you will soon be able to get him to the vet. Keeping my fingers crossed that the blockage can easily be dissolved!

Kirsten

moosmom
01-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Jen,

Sorry to hear about your kitty's problems. I hope they can figure out what's going on. Poor Sterling.:(

I feed all my guys Wilderness Blue. It's all natural with no animal bi-products, or fillers. My cats coats are soft and shiny, and MooShoo has dropped a couple of pounds. His huge pouch has shrunk.

It's $33.00 for a big bag (smaller than Science Diet and Iams) but they don't eat as much. I also give them canned food to regulate their kidneys (adding water to it).

Please keep us posted on Sterling, okay?

kb2yjx
01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Jen!! We just had the same problem with Sam!!! I was able to look at his urine under the microscope at the vet's. He had a crystal that would have made any bride proud to wear as a ring on her finger!!!! Sam is eating SO canned with 40cc's of water blended in at each meal. He is also getting Dasquin(sp)and Elavil. The Dasquin helps the muscles of the bladder, and the Elavil is to help with the same plus helps keeps the stress down!!! Good luck with Sterling.

krazyaboutkatz
01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry to hear this.:( Are you feeding them just the dry Innova Evo? I know that the key to keeping my Storm from having any more urinary issues to feed him a lot of canned food mixed with extra water. Even when I was feeding him Royal Canin S/O he also got this canned food mixed with extra water. I'm sending prayers and positive thoughts Sterling's way.

Anikaca77
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
I hope things go well at the vets for Sterling. I'll be saying some prays.

melissa

Prairie Purrs
01-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Poor Sterling! I hope his problem can be resolved quickly and that he stays clear.

jenluckenbach
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Sterling was blocked. :( He'll be spending a few days at the vet.

slick
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about Sterling. Prayers on the way and lots of {{{hugs}}} :love::love:

Randi
01-20-2010, 03:09 PM
My best wishes that Sterling will be back and doing well in few days. Fister also sends his sympathies. :love:

Get better soon, Sterling!

Medusa
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh poor boy, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully, Sterling will get all fixed up so that this won't ever happen again. :love:

Catlady711
01-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hear that Sterling has to stay at the kitty dr. Hopefully he'll be feeling better and back home in tip top shape in no time.

Royal Canin SO is a good food for those problems, we use it at work. Forgive me if I didn't follow the threads, but why did you change from it before, was it not working?

jenluckenbach
01-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I still feed some the SO, but I just felt I wanted a food with better ingredients. It turned out to be a wrong move for Jim. And maybe now for Sterlng. I do not know whether he was blocked with crystals or not though. I will find that out tomorro when I call on the cat.

krazyaboutkatz
01-21-2010, 01:14 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that he's blocked.:( I hope he'll feel better soon. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

jenluckenbach
01-21-2010, 01:13 PM
OK, got the scoop on Sterling.

He had a protein plug. There were only a very few crystals in his urine. His urine ph was GOOD, NO bacteria. Lots of blood but very few white cells.

So, food was not the issue here. GOOD.

He might just need more fluids, and even though canned food helps, it is not always enough (I am told). Possibly just a bit of sub Q once a week or so to help keep things flowing.

So, he;ll get the catherter out tomorrow and if he urinates well on his own, he'll come home.

Grace
01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Great news!!

Have you tried adding extra water to his canned food? We do that with Duffy, as he has FLUTD. I make sure all the juice from the can goes in his dish, and then mix in extra 5 - 10cc of water.

His last urinalysis was quite good.

katladyd
01-21-2010, 02:47 PM
My Ming has chronic FLUTD. I control it with diet and meds. Purina One for Urinary Tract Health, lots of canned food with a bit of water thrown in for good measure, and amitriptyline have kept him symptom free for over a year. I know how expensive and worrisome blockages can be. Ming always had an attack on the weekends. Go figure.:rolleyes: I am sending good thoughts Sterling's way.:love:

Medusa
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
A protein plug. I've never heard of that. I learn something new every day, it seems, on PT. I'm sending good thoughts and many prayers Sterling's way.....:love:

Pinot's Mom
01-21-2010, 04:55 PM
A protein plug. I've never heard of that. I learn something new every day, it seems, on PT. I'm sending good thoughts and many prayers Sterling's way.....:love:

I haven't either! Great news, though, kisses to Sterling.

The more I hear the more I'm glad Pinot likes her meals floating!:)

Catlady711
01-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Glad to hear it's not a food issue and the crystals and ph were good.

I don't remember, do you have a pet water fountain? Or does he like to drink out of the sink? I know both have helped with my crew on getting them to drink more water than they used to.

krazyaboutkatz
01-22-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't caused by diet. I've heard of protein plugs but I forgot what causes them. Hopefully the sub-q fluids will help keep him well. I'm glad that he'll be coming home soon.:) He remains in my thoughts and prayers.

smokey the elder
01-22-2010, 02:38 PM
I had a foster in 2008 that was turned in to our group; the former owner wanted to have him PTS! He was going to get the "plumbing" surgery but the vet catheterized him and found it was a protein plug, just like your cat. Hunter (the foster) came out just fine and has a loving new home.

jenluckenbach
01-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Sterling will be coming home in about 1 1/2 hours.

katladyd
01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Give that precious boy loves and kissies from me!:love: I hope and pray he never has another blockage!