PDA

View Full Version : New glasses

Karen
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Got the email today that my new glasses from Zenni Optical have been shipped. They will be my first-ever bifocals. I got "progressive" ones, so it won't be obvious to the whole world, but mostly so the line won't be bothersome to me. I know that we have many people here older than me, any bifocal wearers - how was it adjusting to them when you first got them?

Just curious - I have worn glasses since the summer I turned 9 years old, so am used to a day or so of adjustment time, but have never had bifocals. Any tips?

Marigold2
01-19-2010, 08:34 PM
I too have worn glasses since I was nine. People with perfect eyesight are so lucky, don't you think?
I have bi-focals but no line. It took me no time at all to get used to them. Am getting new ones in a week or two and plan on getting the no line ones again. Sorry I am not being much help. If you don't get used to them in a timely fashion they should do them over for you however. Best of luck.

blue
01-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Ive had glasses since the second grade, I wore contacts from 14-33 years of age and Im sticking to glasses now.

Havent had to deal with bifocals yet, but my step dad used to have 2 pairs of glasses rather then let everybody see the line on his lenses. Heck my mom wears 1 contact for near sightedness and another for reading.

Catty1
01-19-2010, 08:41 PM
I started with the progressive lenses 3 years ago and loved them.

Just recently, I said I was happy to go with the bifocal "line". However, the very knowledgeable tech said that the progressives provide the 'in-between' area so that the glasses are not either 'far away' or 'close up'. She said, in a way, that they are trifocals.

Love them!:)

Catlady711
01-19-2010, 08:44 PM
My mom said her bifocals weren't too hard to adjust to. However she does have problems viewing my computer monitor for any length of time because it's height falls above the part of her glasses she needs to see it with.

I just got my first pair of reading glasses last year, but I'm thinking my next pair will have to be bifocals because sometimes it's just a pain to keep taking them off and putting them on if I'm not just sitting there reading. Fortunately my eyes are good enough if I don't have to read really tiny print, I can get by without my glasses and just squint.

I'll be curious to hear your progress in adjusting to bifocals so I might know what I should look for in my next pair of glasses. You will keep us posted won't you?

chocolatepuppy
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
People had me scared of adjusting to bifocals. I adjusted to them just fine. ;)

Freedom
01-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I wore contact lenses for 21 years, got progressive lenses as my first set of glasses, about 6 years ago. The tech was amazed, I had NO trouble adjusting at all. I was READY!

Dad got them at the same time. He had trouble going down stairs; each step looks concave. Just do not look down at stairs, look ahead of you. I've heard a few folks have this issue with steps.

I've worn glasses for 6 years now, and still miss contacts.

sparks19
01-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I'ms orry if this is way off topic but as I have no experience with bifocals I can't help but I was wondering about zennioptical.com

how long did it take you to have your glasses shipped? have you used them before at all? I need new glasses and am thinking of ordering from them

Laura's Babies
01-19-2010, 09:53 PM
By the time I got my first pair, I need them so bad that I took to them like a duck to water and had no problem with them at all. I wear the 3 vision now and wouldn't wear the 2 vision again.

If you are on the computer a lot, you will need the 3 vision, that is the only reason I haven't ordered any from Zenni Optical, they don't make the 3 vision.

caseysmom
01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
What a coincidence! I just orderered my first pair from them today because of pettalk!

Grace
01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I've had bifocals for 15-20 years, I think. Tried the progressives first, and they caused me so many problems, I switched to traditional bifocals. I'm not so vain about having a visible line that I want to fall down the stairs.

Good luck with yours.

Grace
01-19-2010, 10:21 PM
My mom said her bifocals weren't too hard to adjust to. However she does have problems viewing my computer monitor for any length of time because it's height falls above the part of her glasses she needs to see it with.

I had a similar problem when we got our first computer. So I have a pair of computer glasses - the entire lens is like the bottom of my bifocals. I love them.

Grace
01-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Nothing like taking up the entire topic!

I just went to the Zenni site. How do you know what frame will look good on you; how do you know which frame will feel comfortable on you; what if a pair needs some adjustment - mine almost always need just a bit?

kokopup
01-19-2010, 10:26 PM
i have worn the lined bifocal for years. I recently got a new pair that work for reading and at a distance but I have to go to another single vision reading glass for my computer, I can move the computer closer and use my bifocal but this is not easy on my desktop. I tried progressive years ago and was not able to adjust. When I looked to the side without turning my head everything tilted side ways. I had to go back to my bifocals with line. I have been thinking of sending my prescription to zenni to give progressive a try again. i hoped that I would be able to have a focal distance for reading, computer, and distance. Keep us up to date when you get yours.

pomtzu
01-20-2010, 07:20 AM
He had trouble going down stairs; each step looks concave. Just do not look down at stairs, look ahead of you. I've heard a few folks have this issue with steps.

Before I had cataract surgery and corrective lens implants a few years ago, I wore the progressives for many years. As Sandie mentioned the stairs being a problem for her Dad, this too is the only problem I had adjusting to them, but it didn't take long to completely adjust. Even just one step, such as stepping off a curb, you need to be careful if you find this is an issue for you.

Trinityagain
01-20-2010, 09:22 AM
I have worn bifocals since I was 5 (I'm 41), and actually switched to lined tri-focals about a year ago. I tried the lineless and they made me fairly nauseous so I went back to the lines but have had many people tell me that they can't see the lines so I'm happy with them. And it took me very little time to get used to the 3 areas....

sirrahbed
01-20-2010, 09:46 AM
I have used bifocals for about 15 years now. My first two pairs were the progressive lenses but I never could get used to them - there was the area in the middle that always seemed blurry and made me feel dizzy/nauseated. I tried the second pair because I was told that the first pair may not have been made properly - but again I did not like them because of that middle area. Since then, I went with the older fashioned (and cheaper!) one with the line. Just my experience - best of luck with your new lineless lenses - I know lots of people LOVE them:)

caseysmom
01-20-2010, 09:57 AM
I am excited about getting mine, I hope I did the ordering correctly.

I just ordered sunglasses through my insurance and WITH insurance it was 200, this pair was 12.95 with shipping, can't beat that. I ordered what they call a half frame, I tried a bunch on at my eye place to see what looks good on me, for 12.95 I can have them as a throw in the car pair.

Cataholic
01-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I have worn contacts since I was 17 or so. Just in the last 6 months, I have gone to wearing just my glasses. Contacts always seemed to dry out/gunk up on me, even new ones, by 3 or 4 pm.

I have noticed since (or because???) wearing glasses only, I automatically seek to look out the top of my glasses for up close stuff- like my blackberry, or if I am talking to Jonah (as he likes to sit two inches off of my nose).

Does this mean I am entering bi-focal territory?

lvpets2002
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM
:) I have progressive bifocals with tented lens.. I did just the oppisite from what the eye doctor told me to do.. He told me not to look straight down or I would fall over.. Sure thing the first thing I need after I put the glassess on for the first time was to look down & yup nearly fell over.. Also it took me some getting used to them with the computer screen lighting.. Now 10 or so yrs later I am used to them..

Karen
01-20-2010, 11:35 AM
how long did it take you to have your glasses shipped? have you used them before at all? I need new glasses and am thinking of ordering from them

I have ordered from them before, twice - the glasses I am currently wearing, and my sunglasses. They are soooooo much cheaper than any other place around here - before them, I paid $400 or so for a pair of glasses, my current ones were $23, I think. My prescription is "extra strong," s it takes a few days longer than the usual 2 weeks.

The quality is fine, the frames look nice, and even my eye doctor was impressed with them.

There are places where you can "try on" frames online, I did that to find a shape I liked, I think I used FramesDirect.com - you upload a picture of yourself without glasses on, and they show you what each chosen pair might look like on you.

As for fitting, there's one additional measurement - your pupillary distance - needed that most prescriptions don't include. My doc measured mine for me, and wrote it down, and the glasses have fit fine!

Barbara
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Got the email today that my new glasses from Zenni Optical have been shipped. They will be my first-ever bifocals. I got "progressive" ones, so it won't be obvious to the whole world, but mostly so the line won't be bothersome to me. I know that we have many people here older than me, any bifocal wearers - how was it adjusting to them when you first got them?

Just curious - I have worn glasses since the summer I turned 9 years old, so am used to a day or so of adjustment time, but have never had bifocals. Any tips?
I'm wearing progressive multifocals since about 10 years. When I got my first ones I put them on my nose, put them down to drive home (didn't want the first drive immediately), put them on again and have worn them ever since. My eye doctor and I think you have to be decided and then you do it. He says men usually are more chicken than women (I am sure he is wrong and he certainly is not politically correct here:p).
Of course you have to turn your head more as you cannot look that far sideways as with other glasses- but you'll learn that in no time.

Barbara
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I have worn contacts since I was 17 or so. Just in the last 6 months, I have gone to wearing just my glasses. Contacts always seemed to dry out/gunk up on me, even new ones, by 3 or 4 pm.

I have noticed since (or because???) wearing glasses only, I automatically seek to look out the top of my glasses for up close stuff- like my blackberry, or if I am talking to Jonah (as he likes to sit two inches off of my nose).

Does this mean I am entering bi-focal territory?

I'm afraid yes. One fine day not too far away your arms will be too short to keep your blackberry far enough away;)

Karen
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Johanna, I knew I was going to need bifocals because for the last 6 months I have noticed that, no read anything really small, I need to take my glasses off and hold the writing near the end of my nose or closer. Yes, I am THAT nearsighted, but as my doc pointed out, I will likely always have that "superpower" - close up - REALLY close up - my vision is great! For now, anyway.

It has to do with age, and he told me when I turned 40 it would happen "soon," so I was glad to hold off another 5 years. Irrational? Maybe, but I was glad anyway!

Cataholic
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Hmmmm...see, I have always used glasses or contacts to read. Now, when reading or crackberrying, I feel more comfortable doing it with my glasses off, nearly like my up close vision is getting better.

I have an eye appointment next month. Curious to see what they will say. Anyone want to buy some contact lenses off of me? Lol...I don't think I will ever go back to them.

Karen
01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
I cannot really compare - as I have used glasses for everything, since I was 9. I put them on before I get out of bed in the morning! I only ever tried contacts once, and they told me at the time they could not correct for my astigmatism with contacts, so I saw three of everything, albeit clearly! "Some people just adjust to that," said the saleswoman. Yeah, right! I don;t think she had any clue how bad my astigmatisms are - and different in each eye!

caseysmom
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
You most likely have presobyia, you are getting more near sighted, thats what my eyedoctor told me, I won't probably need bifocals until 55, thats what I am told at least but I wear one contact to get around this, my own eye is for close up my contact eye is for far away.

Catlady711
01-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I had a similar problem when we got our first computer. So I have a pair of computer glasses - the entire lens is like the bottom of my bifocals. I love them.

Yeah, my eye doctor has stuff telling about those. My mom doesn't have a computer (she actually hates the things) so the only time she looks at one is when I have something I want to show her.

Usually the best solution is to put it on the laptop where I can set it down lower and it's easy for her to see the screen.

krazyaboutkatz
01-21-2010, 01:49 AM
I wore contact lenses for years but I work in a very dusty area so by the time I got home at night I would have to take them out and put on glasses because my eyes were so dry. Later on I decided to have Lasik surgery which has improved my vision but my right eye is still much better than my left eye. I ordered several pairs of glasses from Zenni Optical and I wear them at night when I drive and I also have some that I use as sunglasses. I've had them for a little over 2 years now and they're still in great shape.:)

I can still read without using any reading glasses unless the writing is teeny tiny but I have been using reading glasses at work since last July because I work with very small intricate detailed things. I just bought some at Target and I guessed on the power. I recently had my eyes checked and my vison hasn't changed which is good. I asked my doctor about reading glasses and he said that my left eye barely needs them,+0.75, and my right eye is only a +1.25. I'm currently using +1.75 at work. If I have my glasses on though, I have to look down to read or take them off because things are blurry.

Karen
01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Okay, they are here! I ordered them on January 7, and they arrived in 14 days, even though it said with my "x"-tra strength prescription that could add 3 or 4 days. So far, so good, they work!

Asiel
01-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Stairs and curbs were my undoing. I never did get used to them so opted for two pairs.

Karen
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I haven't "done" stairs yet, but we will see how it goes later today, when I have to. So far I have noticed that just glancing sidelong at Paul's computer (our desk are at right angles) doesn't work, I need to actually turn my head, but I can do that!