PDA

View Full Version : Diarrhea........But WHO?????

jenluckenbach
10-11-2002, 05:47 AM
Having multiple cats can really be a pain at a time like this. I have had a diarrhea problem for about 5 days, with several accidents on the carpet....ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

But I don't know WHO????

They are all acting so normal, except for the accidents. So since it does not seem to be clearing up on its own, we resort to the "jail" routine. Each room in my house gets 2 cats with water and litter box, perfectly clean, until someone has diarrhea and then I will need to separate those 2 (unless I am lucky enough to have it be the single "leftover" cat that will have his own space) 11, you know.

Wish me luck, I hate "jailing" them.
:(

jenluckenbach
10-11-2002, 06:05 AM
Well, the dirty deed is done. Right after their breakfast I snatched each one up and took them to their respective rooms. Hope someone does something before tonight's feeding time!

Logan
10-11-2002, 07:17 AM
I think you're doing the right thing. Hope you can figure it out and get that problem solved. Yuck!! Good luck tonight!!! :)

wolflady
10-11-2002, 01:03 PM
Yikes, I can imagine how difficult it would be to find out who is doing the dirty deed! I think you're doing the right thing too...separating them is the only way to single the sick one out! Good luck and I hope you can solve the case!

Nomilynn
10-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Yes good luck.. hopefully there won't be any more carpet accidents!! :eek: :eek: Yuck! Please let us know how everyone is doing!

PS- you must have a pretty large home to be able to sequester all those kitties!!! :D

krazyaboutkatz
10-12-2002, 12:53 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear that one of your cats has diarrhea. :( I hope that it doesn't take too long to figure out which cat it is. Good luck. :)

jenluckenbach
10-12-2002, 05:11 AM
By 3:00 yesterday afternoon I had figured out the it was Lucas. He was my prime suspect (sometimes you just know). But I could not give medicine on a "hunch". So he has 2 types of pills to take twice daily each. If no luck, the off to the vet. So I won't actually know for a couple of days. Got to give it time to work.
Thanks for the words of support!

krazyaboutkatz
10-12-2002, 06:14 PM
I sure hope that you feel better soon Lucas and that the pills work so you don't have to go to the scary vets office. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Good luck. :)

wayne0214
10-14-2002, 05:26 PM
It has been suggested to me several times, that perhaps we could give them pepto-bismol, and besides, it wouldn't hurt to keep a bottle of that around anyway.

..........wayne

jenluckenbach
10-14-2002, 06:28 PM
HOO BOY
No luck with the diarrhea yet. And to make matters worse, I am now doubting if it is only 1 cat!!!
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
10-14-2002, 09:44 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear that it's still not under control. Are you feeding them a different kind of cat food? Good luck.

jenluckenbach
10-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Well Lucas and a second victim, Biddy, went to the vet today. Everything is normal, except for the diarrhea. So they got a wormer, to be on the safe side, and a new food to try along with a pill to take. Hope for the best. I still fear that there is a third victim, but I have to catch him in the act.
AAAAAHHHHHHHH

jenluckenbach
10-30-2002, 02:58 PM
Well, update:
Biddy had round worms. He is better and the whole bunch had their worming pills. BUT>>>>> Lucas STILL has diarrhea! We may need to start doing things like biopsy, etc. He is so normal in every other way that it is so hard to believe that he still has this problem.
Any one have a chronic diarrhea problem that they found the cause of???

krazyaboutkatz
10-30-2002, 10:01 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Lucas still has diarrhea. :( I'm glad that you found out that Biddy has roundworms and that he's much better. I always thought that kittens were more prone to roundworms. My cat Pepper had them when he was a kitten but he didn't have diarrhea. The only time that my cats ever had a diarrhea problem was when they were sick with an URI. Actually it was only Pepper because he got worse instead of better. He got so sick that I thought I was going to loose him. This was only last year. Good luck with the diarrhea problem. Maybe Lucas has a sensitive stomach and his food aggrevates his stomach. I sure hope that he feels better soon.

jenluckenbach
10-31-2002, 05:53 AM
Yes, every one seemed surprized that an adult had worm, BUT he was a stray and when I first brought him in he had worm. I guess it was just that the worming medicine did not work 100%. And Lucas is on a new food now, so I will keep him in a separate room again today to determine if it is helping. He is so sad in "lock up" but I have too many cats and litter boxes to know for sure any other way.
It is so ironic that you said Pepper had a bad upper respiratory and now he is a rather large cat. My Amber had a severe case after I got her and she almost died, and now she is a bit on the large size. (she's big for her size, she has a very small head so I assume a very small bone structure) But she can be big, at least she's alive.

Cataholic
11-01-2002, 10:42 AM
Jen,
Wow..I didn't see this the other day. I am glad Biddy is on the mend. I wonder about Lucas, though. Is he on an anti-bi? Sometimes that can re-upset the tummy. I have had great success with Keopectate. I don't think it would harm a cat with normal bowels..like when you can't figure out who it is..but, maybe you should check with the vet. Sometimes an anti-diarrhal isn't a strong enough anti-spasmadic..good luck!