PDA

View Full Version : Amber has an injury to her leg.

jenluckenbach
12-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Poor Amber did something to her leg and the foot is turned back and she wont put weight on it.

We still don't know the problem or how to fix it.

She went to the vet and they did an exam and Xray.

No apparent break and she has feeling in it.

We've been giving her meds, but the leg is not better. And now her foot is quite swollen.

She'll be going to the vet again tomorrow for a re-evaluation.

Maybe you can see how she holds her leg in these pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Amberhurtfoot.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Amberhurtfoot2.jpg

TommyCat
12-14-2009, 07:56 PM
She looks so sweet. Do you think she could have stepped on something and hurt the bottom of her foot? I hope tomorrow the Vet can see what's wrong. Keep us posted.

Medusa
12-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Jen, when my RB Charmin did that w/her paw, my (now retired) vet told me that she was trying to throw an embolism. He started her on a daily dose of Ascriptin but, of course, Charmin was a dog; can't give aspirin to a cat. Her foot never did straighten out, she wasn't in any pain and she went to the Bridge about a year later. She was 17 at the time. How old is Amber?

jenluckenbach
12-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Amber is about 13 1/2.

The vet doesn't think it is an embolism for reasons I doubt I'd get right if I tried to repeat them. But the thought is in our minds.

Amber has been on "cage rest" since Thursday. Poor thing must feel we are punishing her. :(

Prairie Purrs
12-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Poor Amber! I hope the vet can figure things out tomorrow. Get better soon, sweetie!

Catty1
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
So it's not on the bottom of her paw? Poor dear girl! Thank goodness she has a loving Mom to look after her.

{{{hugs}}} and prayers to you and to Amber. :love:

krazyaboutkatz
12-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Jen, I'm sorry to hear this.:( I sure hope that she'll start feeling better soon.

Pinot's Mom
12-15-2009, 07:07 AM
She really does not look happy. I hope the vet figures things out really soon, poor sweetie. Prayers coming...let us know...:love:

Freedom
12-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Amber, honey, can you give a clue what is wrong?

This is when I just WISH they could talk with us! Grrr, I am so sorry you are having trouble diagnosing the issue.

Prayers from RI to sort this out, and quickly so you can stop worrying and she can start feeling better!

kb2yjx
12-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Jen, Amber looks so sad!!! Is she in any pain??? Prayers for that sweet senior kitty....

GILL
12-15-2009, 01:32 PM
We are so sorry to hear That Amber hurt her foot. WE all wish her a speedy recovey.

jenluckenbach
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Well, it seems that the foot is swelling from an abscess/infection. :confused:

It sure would help us to know exactly WHAT she did to herself.. but she just ain't talkin'. :p

So, meds. change and soak foot in peroxide several times a day.

Medusa
12-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Well, at least you know what it is now. Prayers on the way that she heals quickly. :)

kb2yjx
12-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Not a great diagnosis, but alot better than something with nerve damage...

Anikaca77
12-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Prays for Amber, I hope she is able to mend quickly.

Melissa

jenluckenbach
12-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Heading back to the vet tonight. I don't think the verdict will be so good. :(

3 of her toes are HARD! and feel almost fused together. Poor baby.

catmandu
12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Poor Little Amber, we are sending prayers that your leg is not infected or hurt too badly!:love:
I must have really confused to mistake Amber with Jim :confused:
Prayers for Awesome Amber from All Of Us At The Found Cat Hotel
:love::love::love:

Prairie Purrs
12-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh, no! I'll keep Amber in my thoughts and hope the vet has a solution.

Medusa
12-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Prayers are going up right now for Amber.....:love:

Pinot's Mom
12-18-2009, 05:56 PM
OH NO! Lord, please look out for poor little Amber! Please help this wee one!:love:

Keep us posted.

jenluckenbach
12-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Well, no real answers.

But the toes are are definitely the result of a lack of blood supply. But HOW? According to the vet, a clot would affect 1 blood vessel, but in that area there are HUNDREDS of blood vessles that could/should have taken over carrying the blood to the toes.

So..... the answer would be to amputate the leg (can't realistically do just the foot because of how they walk.)

but we are not going to do that.

she is not uncomfortable. She is getting around fine. She is relatively old, and somewhat frail (as her weight has gone down and she's actually bony). She should not have to go throught that drastic of a surgery at this point in her life.

We watch her for signs of pain and make sure gangreen (sp?) doesn't set in and we let her live her life as long as she can be happy and comfortable.

slick
12-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Jen, I'm sorry that I have not been keeping up to date. How frustrating this must be for you. :( It's so sad to see something like this happen. Poor Amber and poor you.

For what it's worth, I agree with your decision. It's not fair to put a senior kitty through such tramatic sir jury. Just do what you can to make her comfortable and please place a kiss on that sweet forehead from me.

Prayers for you and Amber. :love:

columbine
12-18-2009, 08:59 PM
But the toes are are definitely the result of a lack of blood supply. But HOW? According to the vet, a clot would affect 1 blood vessel, but in that area there are HUNDREDS of blood vessles that could/should have taken over carrying the blood to the toes.

This just popped into my head, and may or may not make sense, but when my toes are loused up for lack of circulation, I massage them with warm oil. I use baby oil, but I guess something edible like olive would be better for a cat.

Love, Columbine (whose cat HATES having his feet touched and would be totally grossed out by this suggestion!)

Catty1
12-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Hmmm...maybe an oil massage, nice and warm for Amber. If it is not uncomfy for her, she might really enjoy it. I totally agree about the surgery! Best to let her be comfy.

Could she have a bit of salmon oil daily? The omegas are supposed to help circulation, so I understand.

Please give her some gentle scritchies for me. :love:

jennielynn1970
12-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Awe... poor Amber. I hope she'll start to feel better. That's horrible that they'd have to amputate her leg. Poor girl. I hope that nothing progresses with her foot and that she'll be fine and live a long time to come.

krazyaboutkatz
12-19-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear this latest news.:( I agree that you should just try to make her feel as comfortable as possible. More prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Medusa
12-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Yes, I think you're wise in opting for no surgery and keeping her as comfortable as possible. That would be traumatic even for a young cat. She isn't suffering so why give her any? We know that Amber will be as loved as any cat can possibly be. :love:

Catlady711
12-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Sorry to hear about Amber's foot. :(

That is a baffling problem. I'm sure it frustrates your vet almost as much as it does you not being able to find/solve the problem.

Glad to hear Amber is not in any pain, she has a good meowmy with you. Give her a cheek rubbing for me.

Randi
12-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to read about Amber's foot - poor girl. :( I hope it's not painful for her, and I hope the vet can find a treatment.

I fully agree that you shouldn't let go through surgery.

Lots of positive thoughts for Amber, and hugs to you. :love:

jenluckenbach
12-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Things sure change fast around here. :(

Amber doesn't want to eat, but beyond that, her foot seems swollen and painful today.

It may be time. She deserves peace. We'll see until tomorrow. I gave her a pain pill to get her through today.

columbine
12-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Poor Amber. Poor Jen. The only good part of this is that she has such a wise and compassionate human to help her through this hardest time. {hug!}

Love, Columbine

Catty1
12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Prayers for poor Amber. I wonder if there is an infection that is spreading a bit. Would a shot of antibiotics be worth a try? It might help her be a bit more comfy.

Prayers and hugs to you and to Amber, who is blessed with a caring Mom.:love::love:

jenluckenbach
12-20-2009, 11:41 AM
She is (has been) on antibiotics. Vet says the pills are as good as the injection in this case.

jennielynn1970
12-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Maybe her tummy just isn't up to food with the antibiotics?? I hope that's all it is.

Feel better, sweet Amber. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

krazyaboutkatz
12-20-2009, 05:50 PM

Amber doesn't want to eat, but beyond that, her foot seems swollen and painful today.

It may be time. She deserves peace. We'll see until tomorrow. I gave her a pain pill to get her through today.

I'm so sorry to hear this.:( Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent her way.

slick
12-20-2009, 06:19 PM

It may be time. She deserves peace. We'll see until tomorrow. I gave her a pain pill to get her through today. Oh Jen, I'm so very sorry. Healing thoughts and prayers coming your way. :love:

Medusa
12-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh dear, I hope not. Maybe she's having one of her bad days but if it is time, our prayers are w/you and Amber, Jen. :love:

jenluckenbach
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM
OK, mixed review.

She ate tonight, possibly only because I gave her an appetite stimulant pill a couple hours earlier.

But her skin is starting to slogh off her foot, so the foot soaks are causing her pain. :( (She REALLY protested tonight).

Catty1
12-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Poor Amber...I mean, it's great if the affected skin is coming off, but the saltwater soaks would really sting.

She does deserve peace...but several things...someone mentioned her appetite being off because of the antibiotics. Would Forti Flora or Pepcid help her?

Would giving her a painkiller closer to soak time help? Dear little Amber...I hope the infection starts to heal so the salt won't hurt as much.

Major PT Prayers to Amber, and to her devoted (and tired) Mom.:love::love:

Anikaca77
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
My prays are coming for Amber.

Medusa
12-22-2009, 06:28 AM
How is Amber today? Better, I hope. :love:

smokey the elder
12-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Poor kitty. I hope she feels better.

jenluckenbach
12-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Hard to say how she is doing. She eats, but not her full amount.

I have her foot bandaged because the blackened skin is peeling and I want to kleep it clean (and brevent bleeding).

She totally hates having the foot touched/soaked. The leg does not hurt her, and she gets around fine. She even uses the bent and bandaged foot sometimes. But she is a skinny as a rail and this foot is NOT going to get better.

We shall see what time brings.

Catty1
12-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Blackened skin? Poor Amber!

Glad to hear she is eating a little, and I hope she is comfy. Give her some gentle hugs for me?:love:

Freedom
12-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Prayers for you and sweet Amber, from all of us in RI. :( :love:

jenluckenbach
12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Check out these pictures of how Amber still watches over her beloved Charlie while he sleeps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/AmberWatchesoverCharlie-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/JenLuckenbach/AmberDec222009.jpg

We are going to let her go tomorrrow. :(

slick
12-23-2009, 03:31 PM
We are going to let her go tomorrrow. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif Oh Jen, it breaks my heart to read this. :( Dear sweet Amber - watching over Daddy - today in furson, tomorrow from the RB.

{{{hugs}}} and prayers on the way.
Slick :love::love:

Medusa
12-23-2009, 03:41 PM
She reminds me so much of my Pidge, not in coloring or anything, just her face and how she guards over Charlie as Pidge did w/me. I'm sorry, Jen. :(

pomtzu
12-23-2009, 04:11 PM
We're so sorry to hear about Amber.

Hugs to you, and Godspeed to Amber on her journey ahead.

Moesha
12-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Hugs to you and dear Amber.

Prairie Purrs
12-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm so sorry. Slick is right--Amber will always watch over her loved ones.

It's been an awfully hard year.

Catty1
12-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm so sorry, Jen. If she won't eat or anything, it sounds like she is ready to go.

{{{hugs}}} to Amber, and thank you for giving her the best of her life, no matter how little time she was with you.

How she loves Charlie...this will be hard for him too.

:love::love::love::love:

TommyCat
12-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm so sorry about Amber. My heart breaks for you. The picture really shows Amber's loving personality watching over Charlie. It's as if she's saying good-bye. That is what my Tommy did towards the end. My prayers are with you.

krazyaboutkatz
12-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I hope that her trip to the Bridge is a peaceful one. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Catlady711
12-23-2009, 11:24 PM
So very sorry to hear this!:( My thoughts are with you all. My Dusty will welcome her to the RB and keep her company.

Medusa
12-24-2009, 06:34 AM
Thinking of Amber and you and Charlie today, Jen. :love:

Pinot's Mom
12-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this - but you know when she's telling you it's time to go, and there's nothing you can possibly do but help her on her journey.

{{{hugs}}} to all of you, Godspeed to Amber, she'll be healthy at the Bridge.:love:

columbine
12-24-2009, 11:36 AM
{{{hugs!}}} to you and Charlie. Thank you for giving this golden girl a happy retirement and doing everything that was best for her.

Love, Columbine

slick
12-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I lit a candle for sweet Amber. :(:(

jenluckenbach
12-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Thank you all.

See here

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=2220336#post2220336