PDA

View Full Version : Dog Boots

NicoleLJ
01-03-2009, 07:20 PM
What does everyone think about Muttluks Dog Booties?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/pPETS-3758273t400.jpg

Every winter I have to get Sheena a new pair of new boots because the old pair only last a year. I usually spend about $20-$25 on them. She uses them all year round. Mainly in the winter but also in the summer to prtect her pads from the hot cement. THis year her boots are too worn out to use so we have been basically house bound with the -30 below weather we have been getting and all the snow. Her paws will crack and bleed after only a short while of waiting for a bus in conditions like this. So I am looking for a better type of boot. Our local PetSmart sells this type and it looks very durable. It cost almost twice as much but looks like it could last longer. So I am wonder what other views are on it. Or if they know of a better type of boot. Thanks.

Taz_Zoee
01-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I bought these (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753821) for my sisters Boston Terrier for Christmas. She lives in Oregon and Brodie freezes his little feetsies off.
But I have no idea how durable they are, but they are cheaper.

Yorkie Lover
01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Tanner NEEDS booties! I live on a mountain and in the winter it snows like, every morning! If you find a knit or sewing pattern for them PLEASE send me a private message, I'd love to make him some to match the coat I made! aww!

Queen of Poop
01-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Sasha has a pair of those, they're green. They are great, but I find they are somewhat hard to get on.

shepgirl
01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
I have owned shepherds all my life and never have any needed boots to go out in any weather. I've seen these boots in pet shops but from the comments made I don't think boots stay on that well on any dog. Mushers sometimes use them but that's about the only ones I've heard of and their boots are not at all like the pet store boots.

caseysmom
01-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Good idea Nicole since Sheena can't communicate her cold paws to you its great that you are being proactive...not everyone would do that for their fur babies.

Yorkie Lover
01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
I found a pattern and made him some boots. They are great, but I lost one. when I get them all together I will post a picture. Funny thing is, I put on one boot to see how it fit, and he started walking around. But he walked on that one foot so funny! He'd barely touch the ground and think wow, that feels wrong! and then send his paw flying in the air!:D:D I need to video it, it's hilarious! I got a camera for Christmas, I'll use that!

wolf_Q
01-05-2009, 12:13 PM
I have boots that look just like that, except in blue and pink. I'm not sure if they are the same brand but they are the exact same style. I purchased them through pet edge. They've worked out well, though I don't use them much. They sometimes slip off but they do stay on better than other boots I've tried.

The only time I have really used them is on friends dogs actually. I keep them in my dogs hiking packs just in case but they've been on 12+ mile hikes fine, long walks in the snow fine, etc. I think their pads are tougher because of not using booties and regular walking...which makes it so their pads do not get torn up like I've seen on my friends' dogs....(one I used them on gets his main exercise chasing frisbees and running around on grass and the other does not get walked regularly at all). Maybe if you didn't use the boots as often her pads would be tougher? Just a thought. It just seems extreme that her pads would get so bad after such a short time in the snow. I think its a good idea for the hot cement though, when I walk my dogs in the summer its on dirt roads/trails so its not hot like that. Good luck!

shepgirl
01-05-2009, 02:26 PM
My friend who happens to be a vet also, dropped in for lunch and I was mentioning boots for the fur pups. She put a lid on that idea real fast. She said it makes the dogs more tenderfooted and that their pads if healthy can withstand anything. My dogs run on slate, shale, hot pavement and I've never had a problem so maybe she's right. Or it could be our colder climate gets them toughened up. Only time she's seen dogs with boots are during the races. Not all dogs need them though, just those that have problem feet or have deep cuts and she doesn't think they should be running in that case.

NicoleLJ
01-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Shepgirl keep you comments to your self when it comes to my posts. I have notice that no matter what I post you have to post that in some way it makes my dogs unhealthy. Well your wrong. My dogs are extremely healthy. And so are their feet. These dogs spend a lot of time in doors which is why they can not with stand cold temperatures for long periods of time. As for the hot pavement I sure would like to see you walk across or even stand for hours on sizzling hot pavement at a fair barefoot during very hot weather.

I am not trying to prove my dogs can handle certain weather. I am trying to protect their feet and make sure they are comfortable. You on the other hand are spending all your time trash talking. DO it all you like. I on the other hand will continue to look for boots for my very healthy Service dog so she can be comfortable when she has to work in minus 30 below weather or extremely hot weather.

This year she starts college with me so I want her as comfortable as possible for the long waits for the bus and walking on the cement.

shepgirl
01-05-2009, 02:49 PM
I was speaking dogs in general. Police dogs work on every kind of surface without boots. My shepherds are strictly indoor dogs also In summer they go 4 miles on hot pavement for exercise with no ill effects.
Dogs in Florida are also on hot pavement and there are lots of Shepherds where we go. Not putting boots on a dog doesn't mean someone doesn't care, it just means the dogs have tough feet. To quote a friend...if you can't stand the heat etc.... Chill Nicole no one is accusing anyone, this is a public forum.

NicoleLJ
01-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Actually you are wrong there. Some police dogs are now wearing boots. And I have seen quite a few Shepherds wearing them. In fact I have seem many breeds wearing them. So it has nothing to do with tough feet or not. I asked a cop once why his dog was wearing them and he said because he was protecting his dog from running over glass. Well Sheena has had to walk on many a side walk with glass also. So there are many reason to wear the boots. Tough feet has nothing to do with feet sticking to ice in minus 30 below weather and bleeding. Your the one that mentioned that if they had to wear boots then they must be unhealthy. I am the one saying you are wrong. Protecting a dogs feet has nothing to do with it being healthy or not. It is being proactive in it's health. I can't afford for Sheena to be hurt so I will use the boots.

Nomilynn
01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I was watching a news clip recently and some vets/ dog handlers are actually recommending boots for the simple fact that many ice melt products have chemicals in them that can make dogs ill when they clean their feet and lick them off. My parents have boots for their dog, and they said they would use them if they walked her on city sidewalks where ice melts and salts are used, but they try to keep her in alleys that aren't treated with anything. I believe that they have the type of boots in the picture.. they adopted her from a rescue and the boots came with her though so I'm not sure of the brand. What about phoning a pet store and asking to speak to someone on what they recommend? Maybe they could give you some suggestions.

Here is the link to the story I saw:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/pets/coldwxdangers
http://www.ontariospca.ca/press_releases/2005/2005_jan18.html

I watched the piece on the Weather Network news program

pomtzu
01-05-2009, 03:26 PM
What does everyone think about Muttluks Dog Booties?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/pPETS-3758273t400.jpg

Every winter I have to get Sheena a new pair of new boots because the old pair only last a year. I usually spend about $20-$25 on them. She uses them all year round. Mainly in the winter but also in the summer to prtect her pads from the hot cement. THis year her boots are too worn out to use so we have been basically house bound with the -30 below weather we have been getting and all the snow. Her paws will crack and bleed after only a short while of waiting for a bus in conditions like this. So I am looking for a better type of boot. Our local PetSmart sells this type and it looks very durable. It cost almost twice as much but looks like it could last longer. So I am wonder what other views are on it. Or if they know of a better type of boot. Thanks.

I received a Drs Foster & Smith catalog in the mail today, and they carry Muttlucks. The ones you pictured (yellow) are the all weather ones, but they also have cold weather ones (red or black) at the same price (they are fleece lined). Both have salt and heat resistant leather soles, so they should wear well. They run about $50 for the medium and large sizes. You can check them out at DrsFosterSmith.com if interested. Hope this helps.

caseysmom
01-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Shepgirl keep you comments to your self when it comes to my posts. I have notice that no matter what I post you have to post that in some way it makes my dogs unhealthy. Well your wrong. My dogs are extremely healthy. And so are their feet. These dogs spend a lot of time in doors which is why they can not with stand cold temperatures for long periods of time. As for the hot pavement I sure would like to see you walk across or even stand for hours on sizzling hot pavement at a fair barefoot during very hot weather.

I am not trying to prove my dogs can handle certain weather. I am trying to protect their feet and make sure they are comfortable. You on the other hand are spending all your time trash talking. DO it all you like. I on the other hand will continue to look for boots for my very healthy Service dog so she can be comfortable when she has to work in minus 30 below weather or extremely hot weather.

This year she starts college with me so I want her as comfortable as possible for the long waits for the bus and walking on the cement.

I have noticed it also, its actually pretty hard to miss.

Shepgirl, why do you constantly do this to Nicole?

Catty1
01-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't have dogs - but heck, if very few dogs needed these boots, or their owners wanted them - the dog bootie companies would be out of business! ;)

caseysmom
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Actually you are wrong there. Some police dogs are now wearing boots. And I have seen quite a few Shepherds wearing them. In fact I have seem many breeds wearing them. So it has nothing to do with tough feet or not. I asked a cop once why his dog was wearing them and he said because he was protecting his dog from running over glass. Well Sheena has had to walk on many a side walk with glass also. So there are many reason to wear the boots. Tough feet has nothing to do with feet sticking to ice in minus 30 below weather and bleeding. Your the one that mentioned that if they had to wear boots then they must be unhealthy. I am the one saying you are wrong. Protecting a dogs feet has nothing to do with it being healthy or not. It is being proactive in it's health. I can't afford for Sheena to be hurt so I will use the boots.

My vet also recommends iams and eukaneuba...don't mean they are right because I sure don't feed that.

AllAmericanPUP
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I need one bootie for Ozzy's left back leg because it still doesnt work properly so alot of times when he's running and playing, that leg tends to drag and get scraped up....so i think i'll look into these muttlucks cause i need a good boot that can take a beating..

shepgirl
01-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Guess I'm lucky to live where we do. None of our police dogs work with boots on and our sidewalks are kept free of broken glass. Our city fathers must be doing a great job for us. I've never been on sidewalks "littered" with glass, maybe the occasional accident that is easy to skirt around.
As for the salt they might pick up I did say I rinsed their feet off or rather wiped them when we came in from walking on such streets, everyone does it, common knowledge.
The boots don't sell well here at all as I was told by one worker at PetSmart. they only carry the tiny ones for toy breeds.
We are probably fortunate to have dogs with tougher feet, but what my vet advises I follow since she's one of the most respected in the area. And no she doesn't advise to feed kibble, she is a raw feeder herself.
No one does shutzhund with boots on either according to a friend in Alberta. And she does extensive work with both her dogs and is in army corps to boot so she is well versed in what the protocol is out there.

Shelteez2
01-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Guess I'm lucky to live where we do. None of our police dogs work with boots on and our sidewalks are kept free of broken glass. Our city fathers must be doing a great job for us. I've never been on sidewalks "littered" with glass, maybe the occasional accident that is easy to skirt around.
As for the salt they might pick up I did say I rinsed their feet off or rather wiped them when we came in from walking on such streets, everyone does it, common knowledge.
The boots don't sell well here at all as I was told by one worker at PetSmart. they only carry the tiny ones for toy breeds.
We are probably fortunate to have dogs with tougher feet, but what my vet advises I follow since she's one of the most respected in the area. And no she doesn't advise to feed kibble, she is a raw feeder herself.
No one does shutzhund with boots on either according to a friend in Alberta. And she does extensive work with both her dogs and is in army corps to boot so she is well versed in what the protocol is out there.

One of my shelties has bad reactions to some ice melt stuff, it's not salt it's chemicals. If he even walks on it for a minute he can't put his feet down. So he wears boots in the winter as I can't exactly wipe his feet off mid walk. My other sheltie is fine no matter what. My rottie can't stand really cold temperatures. Every dog is different in what they can tolerate.
I have had to carry my dogs over areas of broken glass while out walking as well...thankfully that was just with the shelties... and I don't consider my city to be dirty.

Nicole -- I have the muttlucks for the shelties and they stay on really well. They only wear them in the very coldest part of the winter, but they've withstood the shelties crazy running for about 5 years now.

scrain2329
01-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Our hunting doggies wear them during winter hunting season.
This last trip bayley hated them but once she started walking/running around she became fine. It was low of -1 and high of 9 (nothing compared to what you have there i know!). the snow and ice cuts up their feet really bad when they are hunting so hard. Trey the lab has a pair too.
when their pads get so cold even a little rock can do some damage and the terrain isn't like cement, or soft like sand its a little of everything. I think the boots are a great idea. The muttluks last us a little over a year in accumulating hunting seasons. but thats heavy and fast paced usage through cat tails, sage, mud, breaking ice, icky stuff haha. Trey swims with his and they get wet and we have a couple extra pairs in case of that but other than that. 2 thumbs up on them from us :D

shepgirl
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
One of my shelties has bad reactions to some ice melt stuff, it's not salt it's chemicals. If he even walks on it for a minute he can't put his feet down. So he wears boots in the winter as I can't exactly wipe his feet off mid walk. My other sheltie is fine no matter what. My rottie can't stand really cold temperatures. Every dog is different in what they can tolerate.
I have had to carry my dogs over areas of broken glass while out walking as well...thankfully that was just with the shelties... and I don't consider my city to be dirty.

Nicole -- I have the muttlucks for the shelties and they stay on really well. They only wear them in the very coldest part of the winter, but they've withstood the shelties crazy running for about 5 years now.

You've repeated mostly what I said in my first post. "If their feet are healthy" . Your sheltie has problems so of course he will need boots. If my dogs had problems I might consider them but since in all the years I've owned sheopherds no once did I run into a problem I don't use them obviously. Why spoil a good thing ? It would be like taking meds "in case" I ran into a problem. If it isn't broke, then don't fix it.

Shelteez2
01-06-2009, 12:44 PM
You've repeated mostly what I said in my first post. "If their feet are healthy" . Your sheltie has problems so of course he will need boots. If my dogs had problems I might consider them but since in all the years I've owned sheopherds no once did I run into a problem I don't use them obviously. Why spoil a good thing ? It would be like taking meds "in case" I ran into a problem. If it isn't broke, then don't fix it.

How is my sheltie being sensitive to chemicals related to his feet not being healthy?

Whisk_Luva
01-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Nicole, if it's what you feel is right for Sheena then go for it. You know Sheena better than anyone here on pt so don't worry about what some others are saying. You know whats best for your dog.

Hope you can find some good dog boots soon...

cyber-sibes
01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Nichole, if you are looking for good booties that are easy on the budget, look at dogbooties.com. they have a wide variety of materials & bootie types, most of which are priced at about $2-$3 dollars per bootie.
I bought Star a set of booties years ago when she injured her paw pads, and they worked well. I still use them on occasion, they have held up well. Maybe not quite as pretty as the ones you posted, but a heck of a lot cheaper, and they're durable.

Queen of Poop
01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I live on a acreage, 17 km south of Calgary. It's colder here than in town and we have a ton more snow. When its -35oC and the wind chill is in the -40's I wouldn't go out in bare feet and neither do my dogs. They can get frostbite just as easily as us. They need to be able to stay out long enough to do all their potty business comfortably. In fact, I use them at any temp below -15oC to keep their feet safe. I have had frostbite twice before and it is a very unpleasant thaw. I will save my pets from that distress.

I see using the boots as proactive and preventing potential pain for the animal at the frigid temps.

NicoleLJ
01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I live on a acreage, 17 km south of Calgary. It's colder here than in town and we have a ton more snow. When its -35oC and the wind chill is in the -40's I wouldn't go out in bare feet and neither do my dogs. They can get frostbite just as easily as us. They need to be able to stay out long enough to do all their potty business comfortably. In fact, I use them at any temp below -15oC to keep their feet safe. I have had frostbite twice before and it is a very unpleasant thaw. I will save my pets from that distress.

I see using the boots as proactive and preventing potential pain for the animal at the frigid temps.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with unhealthy pads or paws and all about the weather and being proactive in protecting them and making them comforatable. Take today for example. It was cold. And the average bus wait in the snow and ice is 20 minutes. Expecting Sheena to just lay, sit or stand on that with no problems is ludicrous. So I carry a thick small blanket in a water proof bag. I lay that on the ground and she is fine. THis is until I can get the boots. She is comfortable and I don't have to worry about her fur or any other part of her sticking to the ice or snow. I have been complimented for it. One lady today said she wished she thought of carrying a blanket to sit on on the wet snow covered benches lol.

Aspen and Misty
01-06-2009, 09:28 PM
When Nova and Konnor are outside for longer then 5 mins they start holding there paws in the air because there feet are so cold and they start to look miserable. I have been really wanting to get booties for my dogs and I have to say I don't think there is anything medically wrong with there feet. They are lab mixes, it's -3 degrees outside and there is freezing cold snow on the ground. Of course they get cold and need protection from the cold.

Ashley

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
I've heard lots of good things about Muttluks, Nicole. Seems that the vast majority of people who have them feel they're worth the money. I'd really like to get a set each for the Tollers, as they have a hard time with the chemicals and such on the roads, and their paws get cold easily running around in the snow. I don't see a problem with getting Sheena boots at all... makes perfect sense to me why you'd want them.

shepgirl
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Guess that makes me doubly happy to see how healthy my shepherds leathers are. They will withstand -40 with no problems whatsoever since we get a lot of those low temps out here. Even my son's two borders don't need boots. Counting my blessings here. Our dogs are gone for a 2 hr hike right now and it's -28. But as I said , I don't let them lick their paws if they have trotted on salted roads.

caseysmom
01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Guess that makes me doubly happy to see how healthy my shepherds leathers are. They will withstand -40 with no problems whatsoever since we get a lot of those low temps out here. Even my son's two borders don't need boots. Counting my blessings here. Our dogs are gone for a 2 hr hike right now and it's -28. But as I said , I don't let them lick their paws if they have trotted on salted roads.

Give it a rest! You are the one that looks silly.

Queen of Poop
01-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Great for you and your dogs. But my 14 and a half year old dog doesn't need to suffer and my 4 month old puppy hasn't the tough feet of an older dog so also doesn't need to suffer needlessly in the cold. I am happy that your dogs are so hardy and able to withstand the cold and salt. As with people, each animal is different and can tolerate different temps, chemicals, etc. So let's just leave it that there is a difference in pets tolerances and a difference in peoples opinions. Everyone have a lovely day and stay warm!!!

Taz_Zoee
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Regardless of whether a dogs pads are healthy or not, it is anyones right to want boots for their dog. So I think it has gotten off topic here. Nicole was simply asking what people think about these particular boots. She wants boots for Sheena, and that is her right. It has nothing to do with being healthy or not.

And Shepgirl, I'm glad to hear you have super-dogs. Good for you.