View Full Version : Bonfires on the Levee

Laura's Babies
12-25-2008, 11:03 AM
A tradition here in Louisiana. I have seen them (from the river) after they were built but not on Christmas eve after they a lit. They said all the people who live along the river road across from the levees offer food, a place to sit and rest, or something to drink to all those who come out to see the bonfires. One of these years, I m going to have to go see these. It sounds like a lot of fun!
http://www.2theadvocate.com/wbrz/videos/36702304.html

lvpets2002
12-25-2008, 03:53 PM
:eek: WoW that is so neat.. Very interesting story.. thanks Laura & as I have never heard of this before..

pomtzu
12-26-2008, 01:22 PM
That was really interesting. I had never heard of this either. Time to break out the long sticks for the hot dogs and marshmallows!!!:D

Edwina's Secretary
12-26-2008, 01:45 PM
Wow! That's so interesting! I have not heard of that before and am fascinated by the different shapes they make -- all to burn! Must be something to see...

Laura's Babies
12-26-2008, 04:46 PM
They've shown them on TV where people have build small log cabins, trucks, all kinds of things. It IS interesting to see what they build every year. I think it it the neatest tradition I ever heard of. It is a big event and always gets plenty of new coverage. I have always wished we would be down here on the boat Christmas Eve so I could see them lit from the water.. I would have to tell the guys to make sure they got me up so I could see them. We were down here last year but left before Christmas eve.. I was so dissapointed. :(

Gustav made sure they had plenty of logs for them this year!