PDA

View Full Version : Look what our buddy found ~ NOT SO GOOD UPDATE ~ POST #10

Reachoutrescue
12-11-2008, 11:58 PM
My buddy found a dog at Kasey's Gas Station in Gardner, IL on yesterday. He is a Lab possibly a Lab mix, maybe with some pittie, I think. But he really does look pure, just needs to grow into his big ol' head!!He is under a year and intact. He has no tags. He was somebody's pet, as he is house broken (minus the occasional marking), he LOVES dogs, kids, and even cats. He knows how to sit and stay as well. But, he absolutely DOES NOT like to be outside...hmmm....ya blame him?

Ken was on his way home from work in Indiana. He stopped in Gardner, IL at Kasey's gas station. As he was pumping gas, Drifter walked up to him. He was very scared and cold. He literally had icicles hanging from his ears. His fur also had ice all over it. Ken thinks he was trying to drink water in the pond by the gas station and slipped in. We don't know how long he was on the street for, but he was really, really cold. Ken brought him home and got him warm and gave him a good meal. Ken brought Drifter to us today. Ken already has 4 pit bulls and lives in a 2 bdrm condo.

He is a very good boy. I am taking to the vet in the next day or two to get him scanned. We are also putting flyers up of him around the area that Ken had found him.

Ken named him Drifter. I am hoping that we can find him a good home....I don't think we will find the owner. He had a collar, no tags. A nice looking dog like that should have tags. He is also under weight a bit. So who knows how long he really was on the street. All I know is now he is safe, thanks to Ken.

Here is Drifter.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/RESCUE/Drifter002.jpg http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/RESCUE/Drifter003.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/RESCUE/Drifter004.jpg http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/Reachoutrescue/RESCUE/Drifter005.jpg

Daisy and Delilah
12-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Drifter is so handsome. He looks like he's been taken care of by somebody. Poor guy. I shudder to think how he ended up on the streets. Good luck in finding his owner. I know there is somebody out there to love him. Thanks for helping him Tracy.

Taz_Zoee
12-12-2008, 09:45 AM
OH! He is so handsome!! And he looks so happy in the pictures. He knows he is safe. :D
I do hope you can find the owners if they are out there to be found. Otherwise, I know you will find him a good home. :)

AllAmericanPUP
12-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Hope you find his owners, he's a cutie!:D

lute
12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Drifter looks like a real sweetie! So sad he was out on his own. As well behaved as he is you shouldn't have a hard time finding him a forever home. Is he neutered? That's probably why he's marking. I don't understand why people don't get their pets spayed/neutered.:(

Reachoutrescue
12-13-2008, 02:02 AM
Drifter is laying next to me on the couch as I type. He is such a good dog. We have found out who is owners are....and yeah....they are not good people. Our buddy Ken said that Drifter's dad is a Pittie and his mom is a Black Lab. Drifter is just about year, I am told. The owner still has both, intact. Ken does not want to give Drifter back to him. Ken said the owners are not even looking for him. He found out who the owner is through another friend of his. We are going to see what we can do to legally keep Drifter in our rescue. I guess if they are not looking for him, they really do not want him anyway. He is NOT neutered and has not had any shots either from what I am told. He has an appointment tomorrow at my vet to get his vaccines and to scan him to see if he possibly could be chipped, but I doubt it. Drifter pants a real lot and take lots of deep breaths. I am thinking he may have a cold, so he will get checked out for that too. I am also having a heartworm test on him and scheduling his neuter. Whether his owners want him back or not, he is being neutered. Ken said to do what I have to do.

Drifter will be going to a foster home tomorrow after his vet appointment. The fosters are a very nice couple with two Labs of their own. A yellow Lab and a Red Fox Lab? Never heard of that breed before, but they are both great dogs and wonderful people. Drifter will stay with them until we figure out our next move with him. I just hope we are able to keep him in our rescue and find him a good home. He is such a good boy. He absolutely loves my kids, cats, and Scruff!! But who doesn't love Scruff!?! I will keep you all posted on him. Fingers and paws crossed that we can keep Drifter safe in our care.

Giselle
12-13-2008, 03:09 AM
From what I understand, the term "fox" Labs just refers to the deep red coloring of the coat. They're all just Labs :)

Sorry to hear about Drifter's owners =/ In those situations, I think it's best if you found him another home where his new owners will actually give him the love and devotion he so clearly deserves. Here's hoping the new home comes quickly!

Emma<3Beth
12-13-2008, 07:40 AM
::mad: grr why do peole do that get pets then dont look after them makes me mad.

So glad this little guy fell into the right hands and will now be with people who care about him.

Good luck on your new life Drifter.

Taz_Zoee
12-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, I'm glad Drifter is with you and in your rescue. I'm sure you will find him a much better home than the one he came from.

Some here on PT just recently got a red fox lab puppy, but I can't remember who it was.

Here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=146900&highlight=red+fox+lab) it is! It is Queen of Poop's little Chance. :D

Reachoutrescue
12-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Drifter is doing well in is foster home, but we have bad news. His HW test came back Positive. He goes to the vet on Wed to see how advanced it is and to discuss our steps to recovery.

We now have 2 HW+ pups we need to treat. We are going to start collecting donation. Our vet will do it for $100 each dog for the full treatment. This is a great price, but with Butch needing surgery, we are going to need a bit of help.

Please say prayers for Drifter and the other Shepherd pup (whom we will get tomorrow night and name once we get her).

Thank you!

cassiesmom
12-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Drifter is doing well in is foster home, but we have bad news. His HW test came back Positive. He goes to the vet on Wed to see how advanced it is and to discuss our steps to recovery.

We now have 2 HW+ pups we need to treat. We are going to start collecting donation. Our vet will do it for $100 each dog for the full treatment. This is a great price, but with Butch needing surgery, we are going to need a bit of help.

Please say prayers for Drifter and the other Shepherd pup (whom we will get tomorrow night and name once we get her).

Thank you!

Stupid question: What is HW+?

Alysser
12-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Stupid question: What is HW+?

It mean Heart Worm Positive. I'm sorry to here this, I really hope you can get these gorgeous pups treated as soon as possible!

pitc9
12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear he's HW+. :(
If only his owners would have cared about him.

I hope and pray that they don't look for him and that he has a full recovery and is found a perfect home! He's looks like SUCH a sweetie!!!!

Sighthounds4me
12-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Unfortunately, if he is panting heavily without exertion, he is pretty advanced in his HW.

Best of luck!

Catty1
12-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I wish those two other dogs could be 'poofed' and neutered/spayed from those other two ignorant people.

Major prayers for Drifter...I pray the panting heavily might also be due to being outdoors and frozen...hugs to that dear boy. He sure is a sweetie - I love that face!