PDA

View Full Version : RIP little feral kitty

caseysmom
11-11-2008, 11:39 AM
We have had a feral kitty in the neighborhood on and off for maybe 2 years. I will see him for a while and then he will be gone for some time. There was even a point that he would scratch on my door for food and we always fed him, I suspect other neighbors fed him too since he wouldn't come to our house for weeks at a time.

He wouldn't let me touch him but lately I could get within a few feet of him without too much snarling. Last night my daughter went outside for something and came back in and told me he was hurt. He was dragging himself around and his hind end was not working at all. He curled up in a bush and he must have gotten hit by a car.

I called animal control I am sure he will be euthanized although the worker said we will get him to a vet but I volunteer at a shelter and the wild kitties don't stand a chance. The worker even said I am not comfortable picking him up he is obviously feral so he used one of those things around his neck.

I just feel horrible for him but I didn't want him to suffer.:(

Catty1
11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
PRAYERS for the poor kitty. Thank God you and so many were so kind to him.

I imagine they may euthanise him...but if the story changes, please let us know. If he can recover, sounds like he could be socialized.

It doesn't sound promising, I know...but prayers going out to all who loved him, and to the kitty as well.

caseysmom
11-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I don't think they will let me know, a remark the worker made about his large head and being wild makes me think they may not even try there are just too many domestic kitties they get that need a chance.

Not ten minutes after that happened a kitty showed up at my back door wanting in my house, I am pretty sure she is a new kitty of one of the neighbors, she let me pick her up.

catfamily
11-11-2008, 11:50 AM
How sad...that poor thing:(
I'm saying a big prayer for him/her.That poor thing:(
I hope he or she is at peace now.
I don't know why but this really made me so sad...i guess i was thinking
of all the homeless,neglected,abused cats/kittens in this world.
I know this kitty was helped and fed by you and other neighbors which was so nice but it's so sad because he/she was so scared not to be able to trust humans fully.
I guess you can't blame him/her...and other outdoor cats.
Thank you for calling to get him help...even if it was to euthanise,at least it was better than suffering.

Taz_Zoee
11-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Awww, poor kitty. At least you helped and the kitty will not be in pain any longer.

Now, this other kitty visitor..... maybe you should find the owners and let them know about the feral kitty and suggest they keep their kitty inside. :confused:

caseysmom
11-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I can't tell you how upsetting this was for me and my daughters I am glad he had a full belly when he wanted food but I wish I could have done more for him.

caseysmom
11-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Awww, poor kitty. At least you helped and the kitty will not be in pain any longer.

Now, this other kitty visitor..... maybe you should find the owners and let them know about the feral kitty and suggest they keep their kitty inside. :confused:

Yes I have called them about their other kitty years ago that would just lay in the street, they laughed and said oh he moves when a car comes:eek:

I am having a lot of issues with my potter going outside so I would be the pot calling the kettle black at this point. I inherited potter from my brother and he has a wild streak in him too...I try containing him inside and he howls like I am killing him. He went in the back yard the other night and a skunk sprayed him, he smells lovely now.

jazzcat
11-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I don't think they will let me know, a remark the worker made about his large head and being wild makes me think they may not even try there are just too many domestic kitties they get that need a chance.

What do they mean by large head? Is that a trait of feral cats? I'm just curious because I've never heard that before.

I'm very sorry about the kitty. You did the best thing for him so he won't suffer.

caseysmom
11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
What do they mean by large head? Is that a trait of feral cats? I'm just curious because I've never heard that before.

I'm very sorry about the kitty. You did the best thing for him so he won't suffer.

Its hard to explain but he had a very large oversized head that made him look more wild. It was in proportion to his body, maybe because his body was undersized and his fur to fluffy.

Taz_Zoee
11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Yes I have called them about their other kitty years ago that would just lay in the street, they laughed and said oh he moves when a car comes:eek:

I am having a lot of issues with my potter going outside so I would be the pot calling the kettle black at this point. I inherited potter from my brother and he has a wild streak in him too...I try containing him inside and he howls like I am killing him. He went in the back yard the other night and a skunk sprayed him, he smells lovely now.

OH my "he moves when a car comes". I guess we can't change the world. :rolleyes:
Hey, you at least TRY to keep Potter inside. Well, I just hope this new kitty learns to "move when a car comes" too.

Ahhh, the lovely skunk perfume. And giving a kitty a bath is not a fun chore either. Don't worry, you eventually get used to the smell. LOL At least I did.

GILL
11-11-2008, 12:30 PM
I feel so sorry for this feral. I am one for keeping the kids inside. We have cleared our naborhood of ferals. The last was Sweety, we traped her in the house along with her last kitten, Boots. They have been with us 3 years now and we still can not get with in 4 feet of Sweety, Boots will let me, but not my wife pet her once in a while. Just a quick sratch on the head. They will lay on the bed with Mits, Peak, Princess, Chessie, and Bart. Mits and Peak are from Sweety's 1st litter.

caseysmom
11-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I feel so sorry for this feral. I am one for keeping the kids inside. We have cleared our naborhood of ferals. The last was Sweety, we traped her in the house along with her last kitten, Boots. They have been with us 3 years now and we still can not get with in 4 feet of Sweety, Boots will let me, but not my wife pet her once in a while. Just a quick sratch on the head. They will lay on the bed with Mits, Peak, Princess, Chessie, and Bart. Mits and Peak are from Sweety's 1st litter.

How do you take sweety to the vet? I thought about doing something like this with the kitty but thought how would I get it treatment?

catmandu
11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
THATS SUCH A SAD STORY , AND SADLY REMINDS ME OF THE PORCH CATS WHO USED TO COME HERE , ONLY TO BE INJURED BY CARS OR CATCH FIP/
I HAVE A FEELING THAT IF HES OLDER , THEN THEY ARE AUTOMATICALLY PTS , AS THERES JUST NO DEMAND AT ALL FOR OLDER CATS.
I WAS ANGRY TODAY AS THIS DECLAWED SIAMESE CAT WHOS BEEN SEEN AT THE LIBRARY ON OCCASION MET ME ON THE SIDEWALK NEAR WHERE HE MUST LIVE.
WHAT KIND OF FOOL WOULD LET THIS CAT LOOSE WITH TRAFFIC DOGS AND MEAN SUBURBAN CHILDREN OUT THERE.
WE ARE PRAYING FOR THIS MEEZER , AND FOR THAT POOR CAT :love::love::love:THAT HE CAN BEAT THE ODDS AND FIND SOMEONE TO LOVE.:love::love::love:

Medusa
11-11-2008, 05:25 PM
Oh poor feral kitty. I feel so bad about what happened to him. Unfortunately, it's an all too common occurrence. They get hit by cars and go off somewhere to die, so at least you were able to help in putting him out of his misery. Now he's at the Bridge, walking w/out fear or pain. I, too, am all for keeping cats indoors, especially my Fur Posse since they all are special needs or senior cats. It's a dangerous world out there. Good luck w/your efforts to keep Potter inside. He depends on you to keep him safe. :love:

Killearn Kitties
11-12-2008, 04:50 AM
I'm so sorry that it ended that way for the poor feral kitty. Thank you for doing what you could to make things better for him.

With regard to the proportion of head to body - our crew's dad, the feral tom that we used to have hanging around, did look as though his head was bigger than an average cat. He was quite a big cat, but had absolutely no fat on him, so his head did look quite large in proportion to his rangey body. He was also an entire tom, and I have read that with some breeds of cat they develop a full face and fluffy cheeks only if they are not neutered before about two years old. So that may also be a contributing factor.

Medusa
11-12-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm so sorry that it ended that way for the poor feral kitty. Thank you for doing what you could to make things better for him.

With regard to the proportion of head to body - our crew's dad, the feral tom that we used to have hanging around, did look as though his head was bigger than an average cat. He was quite a big cat, but had absolutely no fat on him, so his head did look quite large in proportion to his rangey body. He was also an entire tom, and I have read that with some breeds of cat they develop a full face and fluffy cheeks only if they are not neutered before about two years old. So that may also be a contributing factor.

I have found this to be true as well. In fact, there was one male feral that I called Old Tom and the above description fit him to a T.

catmandu
11-12-2008, 09:48 AM
THAT POOR FERAL IS NOT CALLED CASEY JONES AFTER THE ONE HUMAN WHO WAS NICE TO HIM :love::love: AND IS NOW AN ANIMAL ANGEL:love::):) WITH WINGS OF SILVER AND GOLD AND WILL BE THERE TO SEE HIS BENEFACTOR AND FRIEND WHEN THEY MEET AGAIN IN A FAR NICER PLACE.:love::love:
:love::love::love:

nancys
11-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm sending prayers your way.

phesina
11-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Prayers for you and for the little kitty for whom you did the very best you could.

God bless you both.

caseysmom
11-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Thanks everyone, I still feel bad about the whole thing.

nancys
11-14-2008, 11:08 AM
How are you? I know that it must be really hard to understand why the poor little kitten had the life he did, but it sounds to me like you helped him probably more than you know. I wish I could help all the strays I see in my neighborhood. It makes me feel so bad when I see them, especially now that winter is here.

caseysmom
11-14-2008, 12:08 PM
How are you? I know that it must be really hard to understand why the poor little kitten had the life he did, but it sounds to me like you helped him probably more than you know. I wish I could help all the strays I see in my neighborhood. It makes me feel so bad when I see them, especially now that winter is here.

I still feel bad everytime I pass the place on my porch that he came and curled up after he was injured. Thanks for asking that is really sweet, it helps to be abe to come here and talk about it. Its like a few years ago we had a stray duck come live in our pool...I kept thinking I should call the wildlife folks but I was afraid they would euthanize him, after more than a year in our backyard my neighbors dogs got in our yard and killed him, he didn't go fast, my neighbor felt bad and took him to the clinic but they would not treat him since he was a wild animal, we kept him warm until we could take him to the wildlike folks but he didn't make it till morning.

Now I think I should have trapped him and tried to tame him or something.