View Full Version : New install to enhance the gas mileage

StarandBratsmom
08-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Over the weekend I had the liberty to watch first hand, a Gas Hydrogen Generator being installed in a vehicle. This gadget is awesome because it increases the gas mileage by at LEAST 5 more miles to the gallon. Many cases even more than that.

See what I am talking about:

http://www.ratinghq.com/5-822/mileage-master-hho-brown-s-gas-hydrogen-generator.html

Karen
08-19-2008, 12:04 AM
How does it work? And do you know that it really DOES work? I thought hydrogen-fueled cars had completely different engines.

Catlady711
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Survey says........

SCAM!! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818064856AA8ZK9A

Karen
08-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the research, Catlady!

StarandBratsmom
09-05-2008, 04:45 PM
How does it work? And do you know that it really DOES work? I thought hydrogen-fueled cars had completely different engines.

No, that Gas Hydrogen Generator is installed in any car. Sometimes it works better on certain cars than it does on others. It's still so new so not much information is available about it.

Karen
09-05-2008, 05:00 PM
It's a scam, it is not real. Read Catlady's link.

caseysmom
09-05-2008, 05:01 PM
Karen, that link has been deleted.

Catlady711
09-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Not sure why the original link is no longer found, but here are some additional links.

http://sci.tech-archive.net/Archive/sci.electronics.design/2008-06/msg04587.html

And if that doesn't get it for you, how about this one from the Consumer Affairs website!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/07/water4gas.html

Doing a Web search for "water4gas" or "Ozzie Freedom" brings up page after page of search results and advertisements with headlines such as, "Is Water4Gas a Scam?" or "Water4Gas Reviewed," not to mention a wealth of videos that claim to show the device in action.

It doesn't take long to realize that the "articles" and "reviews" appear to be sales pitches masquerading as unbiased reviews. Some sites present themselves as mechanics giving free advice to motorists.

Presenting a possible clue as to where all these sites come from, a site called waterfuelx.com instructs sales affiliates on how to increase sales, recommending that the affiliate create a "review page" and list the waterfuelx product as the number one choice because "reviewing the product will mean monster [sales] conversions."

In fact, the Water4Gas site specifically says that you shouldn't listen to "experts." Instead, Mr. Freedom says that you should just order his books.

A recognized expert in fuel efficiency and engine combustion, Dr. Asmus said that these devices, "mix in a little hydrogen with fuel and can make a difference, but considering the amount of water used and that we're talking about a 12-volt battery, the maximum improvement (if any) would be no more than 2%."

And what about the claims of this being "suppressed" technology?

"This stuff has been around forever and it's been researched to death. It's a simple electrolyzer that could quite possibly cause more energy to be used than if you didn't use the device. It's as 'scammish' as anything I have ever seen," Asmus said.

"When gasoline prices rise, consumers often look for ways to improve fuel efficiency," the Federal Trade Commission said in a recent consumer alert. "Although there are practical steps you can take to increase gas mileage, you should be wary of any gas-saving claims for automotive devices or oil and gas additives. Even for the few gas-saving products that have been found to work, the savings have been small."

Or the Federal Trade Commission?
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/gasavealrt.shtm

Claims usually tout savings ranging from 12 to 25 percent. However, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has evaluated or tested more than 100 alleged gas-saving devices and has not found any product that significantly improves gas mileage. In fact, some such products may damage a car's engine or cause substantial increases in exhaust emissions.

If the seller claims that its product has been evaluated by the EPA, ask for a copy of the EPA report, or check www.epa.gov for information. In some instances, false claims of EPA testing or approval have been made.

How about a quip from the Better Business Bearau...
http://www.labbb.org/BBBWEB/Forms/Business/CompanyReportExtensionPage.aspx?CompanyID=10006781 4&sm=

This company is not a member of the Better Business Bureau. The company is misusing the Bureau's name and/or logo improperly and without permission. On June 30, 2008, the company was notified to remove all references to the Better Business Bureau's name, logo, and/or initials from their advertising.

The Better Business Bureau warns consumers to beware of false claims from marketers of so-called fuel saving devices. Many of these products claim to improve fuel efficiency, reduce harmful emissions and reduce engine wear and tear. These devices typically attach to the engine or gas that many Web sites make unbelievable claims for various after-market automotive devices (fuel-line magnets, air bleed devices and retrofit gadgets) and oil and gasoline additives that supposedly increase gas mileage for automobiles.

Before adding any fuel-savings device to your vehicle, check with your mechanic. You may end up with a voided manufacturers warranty and serious engine problems by adding after market devices to your engine. The United States Environmental Protection Agency has evaluated over a hundred alleged gas saving devices and found that none significantly improved gas mileage. Some even damaged car engines or caused substantial increases in exhaust emissions. Consumers should be skeptical of devices when significant fuel savings are claimed, over enthusiastic testimonials are used in support of claims, claims are difficult for consumers to evaluate, or if the product is advertised with implied government approval.

JenBKR
09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
I remember that being on a local news segment called, "Does it really do that?" They did all kinds of research and tried it out, and found the same as you did Catlady, it's just a scam created by people trying to cash in on the gas price crisis. In fact, they found that it could actually do damage to your car.

Catlady711
09-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Yup, and the sad thing is as the world gets more modern, there are more scams/scammers of all types. The thing I don't get is with all the wealth of info available by internet, libraries, etc, why do buyers still constantly get taken in by all the scams?

Maybe I'm just so much of a skeptic that I research everything to death, and ask a ton of questions before I buy anything. Drives my hubby crazy, but I'd rather be safe, than sorry. Really drove him crazy when it took me a week to pick out a new washer when ours died. I spent HOURS online looking/reading, and I can't remember how many stores we went to, but I'm happy with the washer I picked.:)