PDA

View Full Version : Dog meat off Chinese menus during upcoming Beijing Olympics

Catty1
07-11-2008, 11:39 AM
This tells me that a) the non-Olympic designated restaurants will still do as they d*** well want to, and b) that China is VERY aware how this looks to the rest of the world.

A step in the right direction? Just temporary, I think.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080711/world/china_oly_dog_meat

Dog meat off Chinese menus during upcoming Beijing Olympics

Fri Jul 11, 9:08 AM

By The Associated Press

BEIJING - Canine cuisine is being sent to the doghouse during next month's Beijing Olympic Games.

The Xinhua News Agency reports dog meat has been struck from the menus of officially designated Olympic restaurants.

Beijing tourism officials are telling other outlets to discourage consumers from ordering dishes made from dogs.

Dog, known in Chinese as "xiangrou," or "fragrant meat," is eaten by some Chinese for its purported healthy qualities.

Beijing isn't the first Olympic host to slap a ban on the dish.

South Korea banned dog meat during the 1988 Seoul Olympics by invoking a law prohibiting the sale of "foods deemed unsightly."

Pawsitive Thinking
07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't eat dog anymore than the rest of you but would just like to point out that when we were in Beijing last year every menu we saw was very clear so it was a personal choice whether or not to eat dog. Surely the more people stop ordering it the less it will appear

CathyBogart
07-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Why is one animal's meat any more 'wrong' than another?

Lady's Human
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd quote Dennis Leary here, Cathy, but somehow I don't think some would find the humor in it.

CathyBogart
07-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I'd quote Dennis Leary here, Cathy, but somehow I don't think some would find the humor in it.

I love Dennis Leary but I am not sure what you're referring to...PM it to me? :D

lvpets2002
07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
:o I dont know but I try not to interferr with Diff people's Cultures or Origin..

caseysmom
07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Why is one animal's meat any more 'wrong' than another?

My thoughts exactly. Pretty presumptious.

Catty1
07-29-2008, 11:47 AM
If they have to, humane killing is the way to do it..and they certainly don't. Some places have the equivalent of picking a live lobster from a tank...if you follow me. :(

Yes, it bothers me that it's done - but more, it's HOW it is done. I think our commercial cattle are better kept and slaughtered than the dogs and cats in Asian restaurants.

However, China and other countries have great numbers of pet lovers as well...so this may change from within.

caseysmom
07-29-2008, 11:52 AM
If they have to, humane killing is the way to do it..and they certainly don't. Some places have the equivalent of picking a live lobster from a tank...if you follow me. :(

Yes, it bothers me that it's done - but more, it's HOW it is done. I think our commercial cattle are better kept and slaughtered than the dogs and cats in Asian restaurants.

However, China and other countries have great numbers of pet lovers as well...so this may change from within.

I wouldn't count on this have you looked in to the cattle industry at all? Its actually very disturbing, we have no right to be judgemental.

jennielynn1970
07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I have to agree with Caseysmom.. the cattle industry is not what I would call humane.

I don't really think any animal killing industry is what I would call humane. It's a means to an end to get the population fed.

RICHARD
07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Here's two more things that 'will not be served' during the Games.

A news report from a paper-can't remember which one but it's not a mainland China pub- wrote a story about they 'police' going to bars and having the owners sign notes saying they would not serve blacks or Mongols any alcohol.

Nice, eh?:confused: