View Full Version : French Students murdered in a vicious attack

Miss Z
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7487126.stm

This story made me physically sick.

:(

Jessika
07-03-2008, 02:08 PM
That is absolutely horrifying. 243 stab wounds?!?!?! And burned.... ugh I am really starting to lose faith in humanity.............

Laura's Babies
07-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Somebody was really mad to have done all that. That was a crime of extreem anger.. I feel so sorry for the parents having to identify those distroyed bodies.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-04-2008, 10:17 AM
This country is starting to scare the pants off me :eek:

Miss Z
07-04-2008, 01:36 PM
This country is starting to scare the pants off me :eek:

You just aren't safe anywhere, are you? :(

Karen
07-04-2008, 02:39 PM
So very, very sad, rest in peace, gentlemen.

Medusa
07-05-2008, 07:27 AM
That is absolutely horrifying. 243 stab wounds?!?!?! And burned.... ugh I am really starting to lose faith in humanity.............

I couldn't read it. After reading about how many stab wounds there were and they were burned, too, that's enough. I can't take it.

Catty1
07-05-2008, 09:33 AM
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jIaDzzbxHf-A0gtPoQRTyJPSZXsA

British police arrest suspect for murder of French students

58 minutes ago

LONDON (AFP) — British police arrested a man on Saturday in connection with the murder of two French students found brutally stabbed to death in a burnt out London flat.

The 21-year-old suspect was arrested in the street at 3:40 am (0240 GMT) and was being held in custody at a police station in southeast London. He is the first suspect to be arrested in the investigation.

"Our appeals for witnesses and information after the double murder still apply and we continue to urge people who may be able to assist to come forward," London's Metropolitan Police added in a statement.

The bound and battered bodies of Laurent Bonomo and Gabriel Ferez, both 23, were found in the ground-floor flat in New Cross, southeast London, last Sunday when emergency services were called to the fire.

Bonomo had been stabbed nearly 200 times while Ferez suffered around 50 wounds in a prolonged ordeal, unidentified police sources quoted by the domestic Press Association news agency said.

The detective leading the investigation has said the pair were dead before the fire took hold, adding that they were knifed in the head, neck, torso and back.

Detective Chief Inspector Mick Duthie called it a "frenzied, brutal and horrific attack".

Olivier Ferez, the father of one of the victims, said his family were "in shock and completely devastated".

"Gabriel is, was, the most intelligent, affectionate, wonderful son anyone could ever want," the nurse told Britain's Daily Mail newspaper, describing his son as "incredibly gifted".

"He studied at the best university in France and then the best in England. He had such a bright future and now that has gone."

Ferez, comforting his daughter Helene, 20, and his 12-year-old son at the family's home, added: "It is the worst nightmare for any parent."

Rejane Ferez, the victim's grandmother, said her grandson had been "finding life in London tough".

"Gabriel loved travelling and had recently spent time in Mexico, but nothing had prepared him for London," she said.

"As well as all the usual problems, life in London could also be very lonely. Both Gabriel and Laurent were greatly looking forward to getting back home."

The two students -- both biochemists from a university in Clermont-Ferrand, central France -- were on a short exchange programme at London's prestigious Imperial College.

They were due to return home at the end of July.

Students in Clermont-Ferrand were to hold a silent march through the city on Monday.

"The student world has lost two of its own in a horrible fashion. It's now that we have to join together to show that we never want to see anything like this again," one of the organisers said.

A forensic search of the scene was still going on at the rented 1980s flat, located in a leafy cul-de-sac.

Police revealed that the flat had been burgled in the days leading up to the men's deaths, and a computer was stolen.

The deaths coincided with growing concern about knife crime and gang culture in London, which newly-elected Conservative mayor Boris Johnson and Metropolitan Police chief Ian Blair have vowed to tackle.

jennielynn1970
07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
"Gabriel loved travelling and had recently spent time in Mexico, but nothing had prepared him for London," she said.

"As well as all the usual problems, life in London could also be very lonely. Both Gabriel and Laurent were greatly looking forward to getting back home."

What does she mean nothing prepared him for London? I've never been there, but I didn't think it was supposed to be so bad. Is it really that horrible there?

I can't even fathom someone stabbing someone 196 times. That is just so out of control and screams hatred. Someone definitely did not like them. I wonder what happened and who they met that would have done that.

Catty1
07-06-2008, 10:03 PM
My guess - is that he wasn't prepared for the bustling personality of urban London. Perhaps there was some prejudice as well?

Meanwhile, the arrested man has been released.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKL0655738320080706
Police release man held over French student murders
Sun Jul 6, 2008 3:20pm BST

French students murdered in London

Parents of murdered French student appeal to killer

LONDON (Reuters) - Police released without charge on Sunday a 21-year-old man arrested in connection with the murder of two French students who were killed a week ago in a frenzied knife attack in a south London apartment which was then set ablaze.

"He has been released with no further action," a police spokesman said.

Bio-engineering students Laurent Bonomo and Gabriel Ferez, both 23, were bound, gagged and stabbed over 200 times in Bonomo's apartment in what police said was one of the most "frenzied, brutal and horrific" murders they had seen.

(Reporting by Jeremy Lovell)

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jdLEtuyr1Gd4UzW85GYLnlXFu_zg

Family vow to pursue French students' killer

10 hours ago

LONDON (AFP) — The parents of one of two French students savagely killed in London vowed to pursue their attacker Sunday, as police stepped up their search one week on.

"Rest assured that we will not leave you in peace," Gabriel Ferez's parents Francoise and Olivier said in a message to the killer or killers, who bound the two students and repeatedly stabbed them to death.

A week on from the murders of 23-year-olds Ferez and Laurent Bonomo in south-east London, police have yet to announce a motive for the crime, the time of death or whether the attack was the work of one culprit.

Officers stopped pedestrians and drivers Sunday night in the cul-de-sac in New Cross where the bodies of the brilliant academics were found in a burnt-out flat a week ago.

Bonomo is thought to have been stabbed nearly 200 times while Ferez suffered around 50 wounds in a prolonged ordeal. Their bodies were found bound up.

Speaking at the scene, Detective Chief Inspector Mick Duthie, who is leading the investigation, told reporters that officers are still not sure exactly when the friends -- both biochemists studying in London on an exchange -- died.

"Laurent spoke to his fiancee around 1am (0000 GMT) on the Sunday morning," he said.

"After that, no one heard from Laurent or Gabriel or saw them. It is important to stress that the attack could have taken place at any time during Sunday.

"We believe that anyone involved in this scene would have been bloodstained when they left the area."

The bodies were found late last Sunday night after emergency services were called to a fire and explosion.

Earlier, police released "with no further action" a 21-year-old man arrested in the street early Saturday.

They issued an e-fit of a man they said was seen running away from the scene described him as "white, between 30 and 40 years old, of slight or slim build and wearing a light-coloured baseball cap and a dark top, blue jeans and white trainers".

Duthie appealed for anyone who knew the man in the e-fit or who saw anything unusual near the scene that night to come forward.

Earlier Sunday, Ferez's parents told the killer in a statement: "You will not be able to live in hiding forever. You may be scared and feel like a coward, but you must recognise this terrible mistake you made.

"Rest assured that we will not leave you in peace."

One theory is that the deaths were linked to a burglary at the flat, rented by Bonomo, on June 23 in which a laptop was taken.

Police believe two Sony PSP games consoles have since gone too and the victims' bank cards are missing. They are in touch with French banks to see if the cards had been used since the attack.

Miss Z
07-07-2008, 05:18 AM
What does she mean nothing prepared him for London? I've never been there, but I didn't think it was supposed to be so bad. Is it really that horrible there?

As with any city, the suburbs of London can be quite rough. In these areas there are still many dodgy council estates full of deprived people (London has been this way since Victorian times, when people were crammed into tiny, smoggy streets to work in the factories. The layout in these areas hasn't changed a great deal.) The city people think of as London is beautiful, nevertheless one should always exercise caution in any city. These two students were murdered in a London borough rather than London itself, as London is merely the city within the county of Greater London, which is often, rather confusingly to non-British people, referred to as London.

Still, it doesn't excuse the fact these murders were brutal and sick. :( I imagine with them being French, they probably would have met some prejudice as Catty1 said.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2008, 08:14 AM

It's not limited to London. So far this year we've had 18 teenagers stabbed to death - the knife culture has got seriously out of hand

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/07/07/hundreds-join-2am-vigil-for-knife-crime-victim-ben-kinsella-89520-20634605/

Catty1
07-07-2008, 10:04 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080707/world/britain_france_students_murder

Man hands himself in over French student killings in London

Mon Jul 7, 7:39 AM

LONDON (AFP) - A man turned himself in to police in London on Monday in connection with the brutal murder of two French students and was later taken to hospital.

Gabriel Ferez and Laurent Bonomo, both 23, were killed on June 29. Their bound and battered bodies were found in Bonomo's burnt-out flat in southeast London. They had been repeatedly knifed in the head, neck, torso and back.

"A 33-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the murders of Laurent Bonomo and Gabriel Ferez in Sterling Gardens," a police statement said. "The man handed himself in at a south London police station early this morning."

The man was later taken to hospital, police said, but declined to comment further.

Bonomo had been stabbed nearly 200 times while Ferez suffered around 50 wounds in a prolonged ordeal, unidentified police sources quoted by the domestic Press Association news agency said.

An accelerant was used to start the fire after the students were killed.

On Sunday, police issued an e-fit of a man they said was seen running away from the scene in New Cross, a tough residential area.

Bereaved parents Olivier and Francoise Ferez had earlier pleaded for the killer or killers to come forward.

"You will not be able to live in hiding forever," they said in a statement.

"You may be scared and feel like a coward, but you must recognise this terrible mistake you made. Rest assured that we will not leave you in peace."

The only other person held in connection with the case, a 21-year-old man arrested on Saturday, was released the following day.

Bonomo and Ferez were studying biochemistry at London's prestigious Imperial College, on an exchange programme from their univeristy in Clermont-Ferrand, central France.

Detectives were following up dozens of new leads after appealing for information at the scene late Sunday.

Officers stopped cars and members of the public in New Cross to hand out leaflets and the e-fit.

One theory is that the deaths were linked to a burglary at the ground floor flat on June 23, in which a laptop was taken.

Police believe two Sony PSP game consoles have since gone too and the victims' mobile phones and bank cards are missing. Detectives are in touch with French banks to see if the cards had been used since the attack.

The police said officers were looking at forensic material from the June 23 burglary, adding that there was no evidence that flat keys had been taken.

The students had been due to return to Clermont-Ferrand later this month.

The deaths coincided with a time of growing concern about knife and gang culture in London. Eighteen youths have died in violent circumstances so far this year in the British capital.

Medusa
07-07-2008, 10:15 AM
It's the words "knife and gang culture" that jumped out at me. It's difficult to even fathom such a thing.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2008, 10:19 AM
It's difficult to even fathom such a thing

Sadly not

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article1626691.ece

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 01:33 AM
Question, What is an e-fit?

---------------

I posted about the man who killed/injured 21 people in Japan with a car, then a knife.

The U.S. has always been known for it's 'gun culture' and it's very surprising to see countries with gun laws as tight as Japan and England having problems with knife crimes.

I would figure Mexico as being more 'challeging' for travelers than England. Language, food and culture.

We don't know if the young men had any run-ins or problems with any other people or gangs in the area.

It is a sad story and all the more scary when you think about the crime itself.
People who profile murders categorize stabbings as 'personal type" of crimes. You have to be close to a person to stab them. That's pretty creepy because of the proximity of the people involved and what you have to do to stab someone 250 times.

Scary, really scary!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-08-2008, 04:16 AM
What is an e-fit?

Its a computer generated likeness of the person believed to have committed the crime

Medusa
07-08-2008, 05:15 AM

---------------

I posted about the man who killed/injured 21 people in Japan with a car, then a knife.

The U.S. has always been known for it's 'gun culture' and it's very surprising to see countries with gun laws as tight as Japan and England having problems with knife crimes.

I would figure Mexico as being more 'challeging' for travelers than England. Language, food and culture.

We don't know if the young men had any run-ins or problems with any other people or gangs in the area.

People who profile murders categorize stabbings as 'personal type" of crimes. You have to be close to a person to stab them. That's pretty creepy because of the proximity of the people involved and what you have to do to stab someone 250 times.

Scary, really scary!

Does this fit in w/your theory that the persons who committed this crime must be crazy? Or just angry? Or both? I'm not trying to be argumentative here or start something. I just would like to know.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Does this fit in w/your theory that the persons who committed this crime must be crazy? Or just angry? Or both? I'm not trying to be argumentative here or start something. I just would like to know.

IMO we all have the ability to kill but clearly it takes something to push a person over the edge to actually carry it out whether its a personal vendetta or a random act of violence. The mind of a killer must be a very scary place indeed

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 11:59 AM

If you disrupt class again, you are going to the dean's office......;)

Both.

This is a case where I think the guy went in to rob the kids-something ticked him off and he went nuts.

I figure there comes a point where you have to realize your victim cannot defend themselves and there must be some kind of internal voice that tell you to stop?

I like to believe that everyone knows right from wrong and there is a switch inside a person's head that let's them know that if they continue any activity
they will be penalized for it. I can see people getting angry and then going nuts.....But, don't you think it's crazy to go to someone's house and rip them off?

Medusa
07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
But, don't you think it's crazy to go to someone's house and rip them off?

I was w/ya until that line. No, I don't think that's crazy, I think it's arrogant and criminally self-entitled. It's doubtful that they're thinking of consequences but that doesn't make them crazy, just cock sure that they'll probably get away w/it and that they're entitled to it for whatever reason. But everything else you said, I agree with.

lvpets2002
07-08-2008, 12:24 PM
:( OMG that is so so Horrible.. I cant even pic of all the stab wounds.. RIP Gents.. Prayers to the Family..

jennielynn1970
07-08-2008, 02:55 PM

---------------

Scary, really scary!

I was thinking along the same lines with this.

First, that Mexico would be such a different culture, compared to England (proximity to France and all).

Secondly, wondering whether they had any run ins with gangs or people who were trying to take advantage of the situation of them not being from the area.

The fact that stabbing is such a personal attack. While we do have the majority of crimes being gun violence in the states (we have a horrific gang problem in Allentown, Easton, and Bethlehem. Seems we get the little offshoots of the NYC gangs like Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings amongst other gangs, locating here), when you see violence against a relative, friend, spouse etc.. it's normally something with a knife and hands on, not a gun.

I was also wondering what the heck an e-fit was. Never heard of that before! Sounds like a new kind of car, lol.

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Now, if i could only spell "challenging"!:eek:

The bravado and self entitlement is a good description.

-----------------

I just think that anyone who breaks a law like theft, burglary or any kind of physical violence is crazy. With few exceptions, most people know what is against the law and I think that knowing and going against them, a person has to be a little off base.