PDA

View Full Version : Kitty's getting older; any advice/support?

Tom Horn
08-20-2002, 01:53 PM
My Ingrid will be 15 on October 19. Very few outward signs of aging so far; we've got her on an arthritis medication I sprinkle on her food, because she's less vigorous about jumping than she used to be, and her first x-rays ever have revealed minimal joint wear.

But her blood count. . .she's anemic (low on red cells), non-regenerative (meaning her bone marrow isn't replenishing those red cells), and her white cell count is low, too. None of the indicators associated with a chronic condition are apparent: liver function, heart function, thyroid & other stuff all just fine.

We're gonna try iron supplements. Does anyone know about those? I'm leery of them in part because human kids can get into adult vitamins and end up with iron poisoning (potentially fatal).

After a couple or three months of iron supplements, we'll have another look at Ingrid's blood, and if it hasn't bounced back the vet will do a marrow aspirant on one of the major bones in one of her legs. This sounds horrible & scary to me, but the vet said it isn't all that bad, and nowhere near as invasive as most marrow procedures you hear about--just some residual soreness.

Is anyone familiar with all of this? It's uncharted territory for me. I wouldn't even consider it except that for the most part Ingrid doesn't seem at all like an older kitty. I will not put her through any agony for my sake.

I don't have much money but I don't really give a damn what it costs as long as it helps Ingrid live a longer & more comfortable life. If the positions were reversed (my view is that it's entirely by chance that she was born a cat and I was born a human--and if that offends anyone, well, I'm sorry, but it's what I feel), she'd do the same for me without any hesitation.

:eek:

krazyaboutkatz
08-20-2002, 09:43 PM
I can't really give you any advice. I just want to tell you that it sounds like you're doing everything that you can for her. If I was in your situation, I'd do the same. I also want to wish you good luck. All fingers and paws are crossed here.

Tom Horn
08-21-2002, 08:26 AM
Thanks.

Ingrid's really doing fine--up to her old tricks--and I'm slightly more concerned about how petite she is than most anything else right now. But this anemia thing is something I will watch. In & of itself, it's no big deal--but it could be a sign of future trouble.

I had a neighbor who lost two of her cats (both under 2 years old) to cars within just a few months of each other. Now her cats don't go out at all.

That's the other end of the spectrum from where Ingrid & I are heading. Someday I may have to make a difficult decision. If that day comes, I hope to handle it bearing in mind how Ingrid feels, whether she can still enjoy herself, how happy she is & how well she can maintain her dignity. This is the very least I owe her. She's my family. ;)

Piglet
08-21-2002, 08:45 AM
I know how it feels to worry about an elderly kitty, my parent's cat Jip is about 15 now. It doesn't seem to affect her alot, she's still climbing trees, rolling around on the lawn, chasing flies and wants lots of belly-rubs. Still, we all know that with a few exceptions most cats will not become much older than 17 or 18.

My best friends cat Snor died last weekend, he was 17 and had been ill for a while, just lay down in the living room and was gone. It made me think that there might not be that much time left with Jip and that I should visit her more and enjoy her company.

It is good to know that cat's like Jip and your Ingrid will have lived a long and happy life when the time comes to say goodbye.:)

C.C.'s Mom
08-21-2002, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry about Snor, Piglet.

My cat Pishi died almost 2 years ago. She was over 18 years old and suffered from arthritis, was deaf and blind. We did all we could to give her a comfortable, happy life until the very end.

I looks like you already do everything you can do for Ingrid.

Apart from medication, we had these little ramps so that she could get into bed and on the sofa. She couldn't jump in the end, so it made her life a little easier.

Good luck with Ingrid! I hope she'll have a lot more time to spend with you as it looks like she has a wonderful home.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-21-2002, 12:25 PM
Sounds like you've got everything pretty well under control. I don't know anything about the iron supplements, but if the vet suggested it, I don't think it would harm her any.

My Tubby is 16 now. He sounds like Ingrid in that there are really no outward signs of his age. A few years back I noticed that he was having a little harder time jumping to high places - like onto the bed. I had my dad make a box for him to jump on first, kind of like a step up to the bed. He doesn't jump on the counter anymore - which is a good thing. ;) Also a few years ago it seemed that he was throwing up a lot. He had always had hair balls, but it seemed like it was almost everyday he would throw up. Took him to the vet and he is in the early stages of kidney failure. The vet prescribed a 1/4 of a pepcid a day and that has been working wonderfully for him. He only throws up occassionally now, and that's usually because I give in and give him goodies he shouldn't be getting. :rolleyes: But other than these two things, he's as normal and active as ever. But I can definitely relate to your feelings about what is to come. I dread the day I have to make any tough decisions, but if he keeps up the way he's going, that day won't come for quite awhile, and I'll make sure to enjoy everyday I have with him until then. :)

Here's a picture of Tubby checking out his kitty kube when he first got it. Now it's in the bedroom and he uses it everytime he jumps up on the bed. It only took two "lessons" and he had the hang of it.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid19/pa62041647bc9c691b584a98ce6819303/fdc49195.jpg

Tom Horn
08-21-2002, 04:29 PM
Folks,

Thanks for the tips. I have enough clutter in my place (bothersome to humans, not so to cats) that Ingrid can climb up most anyplace she wants. She still jumps around (mainly across, as opposed to up--like, say, from my desk to my bed, or from her "house" to the couch), but isn't quite as eager to do so as she once was.

Another few weeks & we'll see if the arthritis medication does her some good.

In the meanwhile, I have alternate foods (so she'll gain some weight), iron supplements, and other stuff to consider. Don't wanna do anything in a hurry. :cool: