PDA

View Full Version : Two dogs three issuses...........

kittyfly
02-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Help if you can all advices welcomed
we have a male dog 2 1/2 and his female baby almost a year old she brings in and plays with as well as eat other dogs poop not her or his.
He #1 in the housewith or without us there even in front of us while looking at us like .................and what ..............
He also is a pig when it comes to feeding he starves onna his baby, she stayed 2 pounds for almost 6 months till we noticed what was going on.

we have tried ever thing we know to do for the potty habbit even the news paper...

we have tried every thing when it comes to the poop thing other than posting signs in the yard too keep other peoples dogs out.

we have tried ever thing for the pigggggie thing to even hand feeding her and taking her food up and only putting it down we she seems to want it nothing works. Please help!! :confused:

pitc9
02-26-2008, 04:05 PM
It's hard to understand most of your post but I'll give it a shot.

we have a male dog 2 1/2 and his female baby almost a year old she brings in and plays with as well as eat other dogs poop not her or his.
Your female puppy eats poop, that's not all that abnormal for a puppy especially because your male was eating all of the food. The habit should be stopped asap. Here's a site that has a lot of good info:
http://www.pet-comfort-products.com/why-dogs-eat-poop.html

He #1 in the house with or without us there even in front of us while looking at us like .................and what ..............
He also is a pig when it comes to feeding he starves onna his baby, she stayed 2 pounds for almost 6 months till we noticed what was going on.

Are you saying that your male pees in the house? (I'm assuming that's what you mean by #1) Is ne neutered? If not, then chances are that he's marking his territory and neutering him should break him of that habit. Unless he has a Urinary Tract Infection, to find that out he'll need to see a vet. Is the female puppy spayed yet? If not I HIGHLY suggest having her spayed asap to prevent an unwanted and in-breed litter that would be LOADED with health problems.

I don't know what you mean by "he starves onna his baby"
I gather that he eats all the food and leaves none for the puppy. To fix that is simple. Feed them in separate rooms to make sure the puppy gets enough food.

we have tried every thing when it comes to the poop thing other than posting signs in the yard too keep other peoples dogs out.

You need to make sure other dogs are not pooping in your yard, especially because the puppy is eating the poop. She could get worms and other diseases.

I hope something I said helps you out!

Cinder & Smoke
02-26-2008, 04:16 PM
It's hard to understand most of your post but I'll give it a shot.

I hope something I said helps you out!

wow!

You *translate* a lot better than I did!

;)

kittyfly
02-28-2008, 03:38 AM
He #1 in the housewith or without us there even in front of us while looking at us like .................and what ..............

we have tried ever thing we know to do for the potty habbit even the news paper...

we have tried ever thing for the pigggggie thing to even hand feeding her and taking her food up and only putting it down we she seems to want it nothing works. Please help!! :confused:

the three isssuses are (1) he will eat all the food (2) she is eatting other dogs poop. (neather of theres.) (3) he marks the house even in front of us.
Sorry some times I tend to go on and on.

kittyfly
02-29-2008, 07:43 AM
No my male dog is not nutered, We are planning to breed him 1 more time first and I was told by his dr. it would not help with his potting in the house.

I also want 1 litter from my girl.

I just don't know how to keep other peoples dogs out of the yard so she wont bring in there poop and eat it on our couch........yuk.

thank you for your post!! :)

buttercup132
02-29-2008, 09:20 AM
First of all you should get your dog fixed. You don't seem to be breeding for the right reasons. If you have room for another dog save a dogs life instead of killing more.

You dr. is wrong, getting him fixed will help him pottying in the house.
Since he is older it might not help as much as it would a puppy but it will help.

I just don't know how to keep other peoples dogs out of the yard so she wont bring in there poop and eat it on our couch........yuk.
A fence? And check your dogs mouth before it comes in...

1) he will eat all the food What do you mean by this?
Your dog eats your other dogs food? If that's the case just feed them in different rooms.

The answer to these questions are pretty obvious :confused:

pitc9
02-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Please don't breed your dog..... :(

Do you realize how many dogs are euthanized in shelters every year because of uneducated people like yourself? Please educate yourself, your friends and your family about the overpopulation of dogs and cats.

It sickens and saddens me to no end.

I beg you please PLEASE get ALL of your animals fixed!

buttercup132
02-29-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm guessing since her male isn't fix that his daughter they own isn't either...I'm sure we know what will happen with that, eww inbred dogs..

kittyfly
03-03-2008, 04:36 PM
thanks for the advice!

now to press an issue I breed because I want to and because I know the pups will go to good homes I fix it up before I breed him and so far they all have been placed in good homes and are well cared for in the hills of W.V

So because I don't know everything don't think I know nothing.
Ilove my dogs as if they are my flesh and blood and would do nothing to hurt them or there off spring we breed in a good enviroment and know befor hand where the pups will go and who will have them.

Yes i know how many dogs get put down because they are not wanted but that is not the case with our pups.
so just because I don't know everything dose not mean I know nothing.

the separate room feeding seems to work thanks for the tip.
As for as a fence I rent and they said no. but I am now tring to keep an better eye out on what she is doing and what she my be tring to bring in so thank you for that tip.

buttercup132
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
How exactly do you know the puppies won't end up in the shelter?

Catlady711
03-04-2008, 07:18 PM

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_breedersandpetshops.php

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/7244/costs.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeding.html

In addition to those links...

I'd never take you seriously or consider you a professional breeder just based on your poor use (or rather butchering) of the English language. It's not very business-like and certainly wouldn't foster my belief in your skills as a knowlegable breeder. Nothing personal, I'd have the same opinion of any profession typing English in that manner.

kittyfly
03-10-2008, 08:20 PM
http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_breedersandpetshops.php

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/7244/costs.html

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeding.html

In addition to those links...

I'd never take you seriously or consider you a professional breeder just based on your poor use (or rather butchering) of the English language. It's not very business-like and certainly wouldn't foster my belief in your skills as a knowlegable breeder. Nothing personal, I'd have the same opinion of any profession typing English in that manner.

I did not say I was a perfessional I do it when I know there are more than a few people asking for my dogs pups and most of the people who as are good friends of our family. I said it was in a good clean safe place. :confused:

Jessika
03-10-2008, 08:47 PM
#1) Neutering the male WILL alleviate him marking in the house. Lower testosterone = less urge to mark everything in sight = less marking, inside AND out.

It won't prevent him from marking COMPLETELY but he will have a much much much much less of an urge to do so.

#2) If he is eating her food and/or not allowing her to eat, then you MUST feed them in separate rooms and monitor them while they are eating. In your case I DO NOT suggest free-feeding because then you will not be able to monitor how much they each eat. Feed them at a schedule at the same time(s) every day. Place the bowls down, allow 10-15 minutes to eat in SEPARATE ROOMS (separate by a closed door or baby gate), and DO NOT allow him in until she is done eating. After 10 - 15 minutes remove the food, even if they are not finished eating. This will train them to eat when the food is put down, not eat a little here, eat a little there, or whenever they feel like it, and will help IMMENSELY with him eating her food. But key here is separate and monitor them during feeding time.

#3) I may have misunderstood, but did you say your vet recommended breeding him one more time? Did you know that unaltered males have a much much much higher risk of cancer? Not to mention roaming, and I am assuming your yard is not fenced because of the poop problem, he is at a MUCH higher risk of roaming or getting loose and roaming the streets, where just "anyone" can pick him up or, worse yet, be hit by a car.

#4) The poop problem... have you tried putting up "No Tresspassing" signs? Or if you watch and find out who is letting their dogs poop on your lawn, contacting the local authorities? That can be a health hazard to not only you, your children... but also your pets. If nothing can be done, then have you thought about fencing your yard? I think fencing is a great option ESPECIALLY since you have an unaltered male in your household, it will decrease his chance of getting out or roaming.

I can not stress the pros of neutering enough. The puppies may go into "good" homes, and nobody here is arguing that point with you. But for every puppy you bring into this world and place into a good home is a puppy at the shelter that gets euthanized.

Bottom line you are going to do what you wish regardless; however, I only wish to educate you so that no matter what route you take or decision you make you will be educated in it. I have two BEAUTIFUL purebred Aussies, but will I breed them?? HECK NO!!! Eventhough MANY MANY MANY people have asked me "do you plan on breeding? I'll definitely buy a puppy!" but my answer is always the same -- I'm not a breeder. I'm not a puppy mill. And I am certainly not a Backyard Breeder. I refer these people instead to an Aussie rescue.

EDIT: I thought I would add -- the next time someone inquires about wanting a puppy, instead send them to petfinder.com where there are thousands upon thousands of animals needing good homes - some are on their last days. If it is a friend or family, I still just recommend sending them to the site just to browse around... they never know who they will stumble across and maybe save a life :) By neutering your male and referring people to petfinder.com or a local shelter instead, you are saving lives instead of adding to the overpopulation problem :)

dukedogsmom
03-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Even if it's not the case with your pups, that they get good homes, you are taking away those good homes from the homeless animals. Breeding because you want to is no reason to breed. Please spay and neuter your dogs. Hundreds of dogs in my county alone are killed every month because no one could give them a home. Because of the irresponsibility of people just like yourself. Please reconsider breeding and read this page.
http://www.dogdazedesigns.com/spayneuter.htm
Sorry if I'm coming on strong but this is something I'm very passionate about.

pitc9
03-11-2008, 10:24 AM
now to press an issue I breed because I want to and because I know the pups will go to good homes I fix it up before I breed him and so far they all have been placed in good homes and are well cared for in the hills of W.V

You breed because you want to..... :(

That statement is SO upsetting to me...you wouldn't be able to imangine how I feel right now. People with your mentalailty are one of the main reasons we animal lovers are fighting what we feel like is a loosing battle.
Trying to edgucate unedgucated people about the gross overpupulation of animals and helping them to realize that what they are doing is wrong is so many ways.

Please... for the sake of the millions of animals that are killed in shelters every year... please stop and realize what you are doing and realize why it's wrong.
If you like breeding because you like having puppies around, then by all means get in touch with a local shelter or dog pound and offer to foster any expecting dogs that happen to come in.

kittyfly
03-11-2008, 01:31 PM
#1) Neutering the male WILL alleviate him marking in the house. Lower testosterone = less urge to mark everything in sight = less marking, inside AND out.

It won't prevent him from marking COMPLETELY but he will have a much much much much less of an urge to do so.

#2) If he is eating her food and/or not allowing her to eat, then you MUST feed them in separate rooms and monitor them while they are eating. In your case I DO NOT suggest free-feeding because then you will not be able to monitor how much they each eat. Feed them at a schedule at the same time(s) every day. Place the bowls down, allow 10-15 minutes to eat in SEPARATE ROOMS (separate by a closed door or baby gate), and DO NOT allow him in until she is done eating. After 10 - 15 minutes remove the food, even if they are not finished eating. This will train them to eat when the food is put down, not eat a little here, eat a little there, or whenever they feel like it, and will help IMMENSELY with him eating her food. But key here is separate and monitor them during feeding time.

#3) I may have misunderstood, but did you say your vet recommended breeding him one more time? Did you know that unaltered males have a much much much higher risk of cancer? Not to mention roaming, and I am assuming your yard is not fenced because of the poop problem, he is at a MUCH higher risk of roaming or getting loose and roaming the streets, where just "anyone" can pick him up or, worse yet, be hit by a car.

#4) The poop problem... have you tried putting up "No Tresspassing" signs? Or if you watch and find out who is letting their dogs poop on your lawn, contacting the local authorities? That can be a health hazard to not only you, your children... but also your pets. If nothing can be done, then have you thought about fencing your yard? I think fencing is a great option ESPECIALLY since you have an unaltered male in your household, it will decrease his chance of getting out or roaming.

I can not stress the pros of neutering enough. The puppies may go into "good" homes, and nobody here is arguing that point with you. But for every puppy you bring into this world and place into a good home is a puppy at the shelter that gets euthanized.

Bottom line you are going to do what you wish regardless; however, I only wish to educate you so that no matter what route you take or decision you make you will be educated in it. I have two BEAUTIFUL purebred Aussies, but will I breed them?? HECK NO!!! Eventhough MANY MANY MANY people have asked me "do you plan on breeding? I'll definitely buy a puppy!" but my answer is always the same -- I'm not a breeder. I'm not a puppy mill. And I am certainly not a Backyard Breeder. I refer these people instead to an Aussie rescue.

EDIT: I thought I would add -- the next time someone inquires about wanting a puppy, instead send them to petfinder.com where there are thousands upon thousands of animals needing good homes - some are on their last days. If it is a friend or family, I still just recommend sending them to the site just to browse around... they never know who they will stumble across and maybe save a life :) By neutering your male and referring people to petfinder.com or a local shelter instead, you are saving lives instead of adding to the overpopulation problem :)

Thank you for not seeming so attckfull and all the advice is so helpfull I will be tring it all. We are getting ready to make a long move and there are other female dogs there so he will be getting fixed. I just don't feel it is right I would not have been to happy for someone have had me fix before I was able to have and offspring and I did not like having to make that happen to my babys because thats what my dogs are to me because I can't have children of my own. Thank you for helping in this matter. :D

Jessika
03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
kittyfly -- I am VERY excited to hear that you chose to have him neutered! I promise you that you will have an easier time with him after it is done! Good luck and good luck on the move! :)

Also, a random side-thought, your female -- do you plan on breeding her as well? Because I will obviously recommend strongly that you have her spayed as soon as you can. Like unaltered males, unaltered females are at a MUCH higher risk of getting ovarian cancer as well as other medical problems. Dogs are not missing anything if they never get the chance to breed or have puppies - they do not know the difference. Some mothers are actually very bad mothers and most puppies will die because of negligence.

Another common mistake people often make is humanizing their dogs. Dogs are dogs, dogs are not people. Dogs do not think like people do, they do not have rational thought. So if you neuter or spay them, they will not think "Oh man, now I will never know what it is like to have a baby". They will actually be happier for it because they have a much less tendency to roam, plus your female will not be as stressed from males around "that time of the year". ;)

But if you are already planning on spaying her or if it is already done, kudos to you!!!!

Good luck and I do wish for you to stay around on Pet Talk... you will learn that everyone here is passionate about the care and well-being of all animals, and some topics may hit sore spots and some may be overly emotional in their replies, or may come across as harsh, but they all intend well and have the best interest of pets in mind always! :)

buttercup132
03-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I just don't feel it is right I would not have been to happy for someone have had me fix before I was able to have and offspring and I did not like having to make that happen to my babys because thats what my dogs are to me because I can't have children of my own. It's not the same thing for dogs though. They don't feel the same as humans and they sure don't care to have babies. There are alot of dogs who actually refuse to be a mother to their babies. Alot of people think that dogs enjoy breeding like humans (if you get what I mean) so they breed their dogs and don't get them fixed. People need to stop viewing dogs as feeling the same way as humans. e love them like we would our own human children but you can't treat them the same way.

Anyways I'm glad your getting him fixed and taking everyone's advice.
Oh and I don't know if this was already asked but what kind of dogs are they?

dukedogsmom
03-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Jessika, that was so well said! You are much wiser than your years. I 'm too blunt at times but that's just me.

Very glad to hear the male will be neutered and hopefully, the females spayed.

Jessika
03-11-2008, 05:24 PM
dukedogsmom - thank you so much for the compliment! Going into the field that I am, I have to learn how to be "professional" at all times, so guess what PT... I'm starting to post again in the more "controversial" threads for practice... you are all my guinea pigs! ;)

We love them like we would our own human children but you can't treat them the same way.
Ah, you reminded me of something I want to elaborate on from my previous post:

I love my dogs as my own children too, but bottom line is they are not human children. I treat my dogs with more respect and care and attention than most dogs receive, that still does not make them human. Humans have rational thought. Humans can also put two and two together and come to a conclusion, ie "I threw my crayons all over the floor so mom took them away because I misbehaved". Dogs simply do not think like that. Dogs live "in the moment" - not saying they don't have a memory (how else do you teach them tricks like "sit", "stay" and "beg"?), but a memory is very different from rational thought. So by saying you would never put your human children through something because you would feel bad does not apply to dogs. Humans can realize WHY things are happening and WHATS going on. Dogs do not. YOU are the only one who will "feel bad", your dogs won't know the difference one way or the other (except they will most likely live longer, healthier lives!).

Unfortunately... no matter how much we'd like for them to be, dogs just aren't people. I am by no means saying I don't love my dogs, but I've come to the understanding that their mentality is not the same. We have the tendency to put human emotion or reasoning behind their actions. "My dog pooped on my rug because I took his toy away and he is mad at me!" No, your dog pooped on the rug because he is sick or just needed to poop and you weren't available to let him outside.

When you can learn to discern between the two, then you will gain a much better understanding of how dogs REALLY think. And usually it's just "BALL? FOOD? TREAT? CAR RIDE?!!?!?!??!" ;)

Catlady711
03-11-2008, 06:08 PM
then you will gain a much better understanding of how dogs REALLY think. And usually it's just "BALL? FOOD? TREAT? CAR RIDE?!!?!?!??!" ;)

You forgot to add "Butt Rub? Head Pat?" ROFL I can't tell you how many dogs I've encountered that immediately present their rumps to me for a good massage! lol

kittyfly
03-16-2008, 09:49 PM
It's not the same thing for dogs though. They don't feel the same as humans and they sure don't care to have babies. There are alot of dogs who actually refuse to be a mother to their babies. Alot of people think that dogs enjoy breeding like humans (if you get what I mean) so they breed their dogs and don't get them fixed. People need to stop viewing dogs as feeling the same way as humans. e love them like we would our own human children but you can't treat them the same way.

Anyways I'm glad your getting him fixed and taking everyone's advice.
Oh and I don't know if this was already asked but what kind of dogs are they?

I am terrable because I can't spell there breed, (chauwau) chance is my male he is full blooded. But Onna (my female) is half minni black lab.

kittyfly
03-16-2008, 10:02 PM
dukedogsmom - thank you so much for the compliment! Going into the field that I am, I have to learn how to be "professional" at all times, so guess what PT... I'm starting to post again in the more "controversial" threads for practice... you are all my guinea pigs! ;)

Ah, you reminded me of something I want to elaborate on from my previous post:

I love my dogs as my own children too, but bottom line is they are not human children. I treat my dogs with more respect and care and attention than most dogs receive, that still does not make them human. Humans have rational thought. Humans can also put two and two together and come to a conclusion, ie "I threw my crayons all over the floor so mom took them away because I misbehaved". Dogs simply do not think like that. Dogs live "in the moment" - not saying they don't have a memory (how else do you teach them tricks like "sit", "stay" and "beg"?), but a memory is very different from rational thought. So by saying you would never put your human children through something because you would feel bad does not apply to dogs. Humans can realize WHY things are happening and WHATS going on. Dogs do not. YOU are the only one who will "feel bad", your dogs won't know the difference one way or the other (except they will most likely live longer, healthier lives!).

Unfortunately... no matter how much we'd like for them to be, dogs just aren't people. I am by no means saying I don't love my dogs, but I've come to the understanding that their mentality is not the same. We have the tendency to put human emotion or reasoning behind their actions. "My dog pooped on my rug because I took his toy away and he is mad at me!" No, your dog pooped on the rug because he is sick or just needed to poop and you weren't available to let him outside.

When you can learn to discern between the two, then you will gain a much better understanding of how dogs REALLY think. And usually it's just "BALL? FOOD? TREAT? CAR RIDE?!!?!?!??!" ;)

You know you are right with that but I am just learning about dogs I know more about cats. I just kinda got turned into a dog lover (not in that kind of way) When I meet my hubbie 6 years ago his family is dog aholics but they seem to know alot about it. I came here to get a wide range of advice from all sides good bad and the hard to take.
I THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH !!!!! :cool:

kittyfly
03-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I love my dogs as my best friend may say way----too----much.
I have spoiled them quit a bit I might say there's not much I can't do too them. I toss her or him in the air slightly and bring them down and blow on there bellys like you would do a child the will let me back filp them off my lap. The list relly gos on and on. They are relly smart he has leared not to leave the year and has been tested quit a bit and he will not leave all the treats and food won't make him leave it. She is nearly there too though she still tests it from time to time.
This thing with dogs it is not easy to get it all in a few years I am just starting my search on the net landed here and I hope not to loss my net for quit some time. :)

Jessika
03-16-2008, 10:57 PM
You know you are right with that but I am just learning about dogs I know more about cats. I just kinda got turned into a dog lover (not in that kind of way) When I meet my hubbie 6 years ago his family is dog aholics but they seem to know alot about it. I came here to get a wide range of advice from all sides good bad and the hard to take.
I THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH !!!!! :cool:
That's what PT is all about -- learning!! Don't ever hesitate to ask questions or help here :)

kittyfly
03-17-2008, 10:00 PM
So called chance's vet his app. is next thurs. we have seperated both dogs and are doing great with that but we are having trouble. :(
Chance is acting like Onna is in heat there are no signs as far as we can tell.
she will be a year in may and I have been told that she could be going into early stages of heat. What may help to keep him from doing the things he is doing like the painting realy hard as if he was hot the wining all the time getting over stressed about notting getting to her? :o

Since I was harded and did not get him fixed earlyer? Do any of you have advice? :eek:

Jessika
03-17-2008, 10:04 PM
She may very well be going into heat. Jamie's first heat was at 11 months. My only suggestion is to KEEP THEM SEPARATED by a heavy closed door and DO NOT leave them unsupervised!

Can you call your vet to see if you can get his appointment bumped up a little earlier? I'm sure that will definitely help. Can you get her in too to be spayed? Because trust me, a female in heat is almost worse than an intact male.

If she is going into heat please be sure to keep a hawk eye on her, not just from your male dog but from other dogs as well!