PDA

View Full Version : Health updates, Braveheart update on post #16.

jenluckenbach
02-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Mr Meow is unstoppable. He is eating like a proverbial horse.....and dry food....ANY food!!!

His meds are going down from once a day to once every other day. In 1 month we will judge if they get reduced further or not.

He has gained at LEAST a pound! if not more! So a very good update for him.

BraveHeart is still being force fed twice a day. He will lick at canned food and he will eat dry fod that has been soaked and softened in water. but he does not eat enough on his own.

He gets sub-q fluids once a day, but is struggling more and more about it.

I can tell that his tummy is a little rounder, so I assume he has gained a bit of weight. We will have a weigh-in and a thyroid and kidney panel run Monday Feb 25th. Hopefully those numbers continue to go towards normal.

On the home front, Amber needs to have a dermal cyst removed. She has had it for some time, but recently it has doubled in size. Her pre-op blood work came back great. She is pushing 12 years old. Her mouth, which is practically toothless, is doing great and she has been off meds for some time now.

Shilo, who has already been through 2 dentals to remove the majority of his teeth, will be going back for the rest to come out. Hopefully then he can also stop the steroid shots.

Monte had his "yearly" and is in terrific shape (he's 14 years old). Some tarter that we might have cleaned off next year.

I guess that about covers it for now, thanks for reading.

catmandu
02-19-2008, 06:04 PM
We Are So Glad That Mr Meow Is Doing A Lot Better Now!!
We Hope That Braveheart Can Be Tempted To Eat, I Knowthat There Are Pet Angels Led By Y.lee Who Are Working On That.
And Of Course We Are Glad That Amber And Monte Are Doing Well, And We Are Sending Extra Prayers For Shilo To Get Better Once His Teeth Are Out.
My Bo Bo Is Like Mr Meow, Shes Eating Up A Storm Since Her Teeth Were Removed And Michaels Eating As Well As He Approaches His 15 Th Anniversary Here.
We All L0ve It When Your Vets Give Us Good Reports On Our Friends.

cassiesmom
02-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Dear BraveHeart,

I know you're a kitty, but if you could just be a teensy bit "piggy" when it comes to eating your food, that might make your meowmie very happy. It would definitely make me happy!

Dear Mister Meow, YAY, what a great update!

***KISSES***

krazyaboutkatz
02-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the updates.:) I'm glad to hear that Mr. Meow is doing so well and I hope that Braveheart will follow in his footsteps and will also start eating well on his own and gaining weight.:) I hope that Amber and Shilo's surgeries go well and that they both recover quickly. I'm also glad to hear that Monte is doing so well and I hope that his health continues to be good.:)

pitc9
02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

Mr. Braveheart, please eat like a big boy now! :D

Freedom
02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Aw, the report on Mr. Meow is just fantastic! AND it gives hope for Braveheart, that he just needs to heal a bit more and he will also be on track. Mr. Meow is a reminder that it CAN / WILL happen!

Glad to hear about all the kitties in your care, and that they all have some good reports!

orangemm
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Hopefully one of these day, Braveheart will "wake up" and his appetite will take over (just like Mr. Meow's!) and he will gobble down all his food.

You are an angel to take care of these babies.

Is Shiloh the black boy?

phesina
02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
That's a wonderful progress report, Jen. Thank you so much for the update, and thank you so much for taking such good care of all these sweet creatures.

Great that Mr. Meow is doing so well, and prayers and good wishes that BraveHeart will regain his appetite.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat and cats

Catty1
02-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow - great news on Mr Meow! Braveheart cannot be far behind!

I think the force-fed food has to be mashed up with water, right? Have you put some goop in a dish and seen if he'll do more than lick it? Feed stinky stuff? Sorry, don't mean to offend as you look after cats all the time. Just adding to the "EAT, Braveheart" vibes.

Maybe he's afraid to chew much because his mouth hurt for so long.

Hey, Braveheart...nibble some more. Come on, now.

I hope his levels are even better than before. That dear boy has had a long haul.

Have he and MM met?

jenluckenbach
02-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Have he and MM met?
Actually, NO. (I am afraid Mr Meow will eat ALL BraveHeart's food! LOL)

I force feed a mix of a/d canned food (prescription, and very soft. Made for syringe feeding) and nutri-cal. I heat it for the nutri-cal (which is a gel) to soften. It does not need water, but I usually mix a bit of water in on the last syringe.

Most foods he refuses to try. Some he licks. Guess he's picky. I'll find one he likes! ;)

Pawsitive Thinking
02-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks for letting us know how the kitties are doing

Maya & Inka's mommy
02-21-2008, 08:31 AM
What a fantastic update, Jen !!! These cats are so lucky: they found the best loving and caring mommy in the world! Thank you for doing so much, Jen :) !!!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20839cat_on_cushion.gif

rg_girlca
02-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Jen, you are a Guardian Angel to these precious cats. I am so happy to hear how well Mr. Meow is doing and pray that Braveheart will follow in his footsteps.
I pray the dentals go well for Amber and Shilo and happy to hear that Monte is doing well. :D

kb2yjx
02-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Jen this is really great news!!! If anyone can get a cat back to wellness, it is YOU!!!

Barbara
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Jen if I see what you are going through... I send you big hugs for getting all these kitties to the vet and back to health.

jenluckenbach
02-25-2008, 10:19 AM
BraveHeart gained 2 WHOLE pounds over the last 3 weeks. WOOO HOOO!!!

I will get the results of his blood test on Wednesday.

In the meantime, his hydration is good and we will cut the sub-q fluids down to every other day.

Way to go, my little boy blue. :)

cassiesmom
02-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Yay, let's hear it for BraveHeart! Woo Hoo! (Smooch!)

krazyaboutkatz
02-25-2008, 11:29 AM
This is wonderful news about Braveheart. Thanks for the update.:)

Catty1
02-25-2008, 11:41 AM
YAAAY! Good going, Brave baby!

Now, if you just get eating on your own...atta boy!

Praying for good results on the blood work. He was sure a sick boy when he came to you - and has come SUCH a long way! :)

Give that cute forehead above the wonderful mad face a kiss for me, ok?

Does he purr a lot?

kb2yjx
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
TWO POUNDS!!!!!!!!!! That is wonderful!!!!!!!! For a cat, that is really packing it on!!! HOOORAY FOR BRAVEHEART!!!!!!!!!

jenluckenbach
02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
TWO POUNDS!!!!!!!!!! That is wonderful!!!!!!!! For a cat, that is really packing it on!!! HOOORAY FOR BRAVEHEART!!!!!!!!!
It sure is! It is absolutely AMAZING!

BraveHeart does not purr much. But you should have seen how he snuggled up to his foster mama when the vet wanted to have a look at him. (vet says...QUOTE "He's not going anywhere". LOL)

Catty1
02-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Hee hee hee - a real mama's boy! :D

Freedom
02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
**dancing around, doing a happy dance**
**too busy to type anything, SO happy**

Braveheart, good boy, eat everything your meowmom offers you, even if it is in a BOWL, not a syringe!

Great job, Jen, keep at it. Nothing gives the care giver more motivation than a great report like that!

orangemm
02-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Terrific news!!! Way to go, Jen and Braveheart!!!

Yup, I think I smell a "keeper".... ;) :D

phesina
02-25-2008, 06:43 PM
What great news! Well done, BraveHeart and Jen! Keep on keeping on!

Pat and cats