PDA

View Full Version : Think of Duke UPDATE

WELOVESPUPPIES
02-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Wow, I know they said bad things come in threes but I can't stand that this is the second thing to happen to one of my babies. Apparently Duke decided to eat one of Chopper's tiny twist bones (at least that is what I think it is) and has it lodge in his throat. He has been gagging and has this horrible cough. He cannot seem to dislodge it himself so we are on our way to the vet, plan on being there when they open the doors. Please just think of my boy and pray that all goes well.

I feel like such a horrible mommy, I always try to be sure I pick them up when Chopper is done chewing on them, I thought I put it on the coffee table, but now I cannot remember if I did or not. I am so irritated with myself.

anna_66
02-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Oh gosh, I'm so sorry to hear this:( I hope he's going to be alright.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Anna

bckrazy
02-01-2008, 06:10 AM
Oh no... I hope Duke is alright! =( Get better, buddy.

Rawhide (I'm assuming that's what it is) can be reallyyy scary. I just do not find the risk worth any of the benefits. Swallowing a chunk of that stuff happens so easily, don't feel like a bad Mom!

Pam
02-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Prayers will be going up for Dukey. At least it is not in his windpipe and he is breathing OK. Please try to relax (easy for me to say).

I feel like such a horrible mommy,

You are not a horrible mommy. Dogs get into trouble in the blink of an eye. I have to get ready to leave for work soon but will be thinking of Duke while I am away and will check back in as soon as I come back. (((hugs)))

Pawsitive Thinking
02-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Thinking of you Duke - am sure the whitecoats will sort you out

pitc9
02-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Thinking of you and Duke.
You're NOT a horrible mommy!!
{{{HUGS}}}

Keep us posted!

Freedom
02-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Prayers for Duke!!!

cyber-sibes
02-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Praying for Duke!

4 Dog Mother
02-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Prayers for Duke going out!

gemini9961
02-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Prayers for Duke.

WELOVESPUPPIES
02-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone. We just got back. The vet said he does not feel anything in there, nor can he see anything. Duke apparently swallowed something that did get stuck but he managed to get it loose himself but it scratched his throat on the way down. His throat is extremely red and irritated and he has a lot of phlegm built up in the back of his mouth. They gave him a steroid for the swelling and an antihistamine to help control the cough so that he does not keep irritating his throat and an antibiotic to prevent any infection. He just finished his dog food, which I put water on to make it softer so he would eat and is now lying down next to my desk on his pillow sleeping. Thank God it was nothing serious, this is my baby, my heart dog and just the thought....OMGosh just makes me sick to my stomach. I still feel horrible, I know he is my responsibility and I just cannot believe that I allowed this to happen. Thank you all again.

Anita Cholaine
02-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Poor guy, glad to know it's nothing serious!

You don't have to feel horrible! Things like these happen when you have dogs, sometimes there's not much we can do. (((hugs)))

Ginger's Mom
02-01-2008, 08:44 AM
You are not a horrible mommy. Dogs get into trouble in the blink of an eye.
That is so true. They can be lying at your feet being perfect angels, you turn your head to sneeze and they are into something. :rolleyes: And we love them in spite of, or maybe because of, their adventurous spirits. :D

I am glad to hear it was nothing serious. He will probably be quiet for a few hours, then watch out, Duke is back. :)

cassiesmom
02-01-2008, 09:41 AM
hugs for Dukey and mommy!

Daisy and Delilah
02-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Awwwww!!!! Thoughts and prayers going out to both of you. Don't beat yourself up anymore, Traci. We can't possibly be everywhere all the time. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} Feel better Duke :(

Animalhouse26
02-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Thank goodness he is ok! Give him Pats for me!

Kfamr
02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Poor Duke Dog! What a scare it must have been, Traci. Glad it's over with now hopefully he leaves you a nice present in the backyard. ;) Hehe.

Hugs and kisses to that sweet boy.

K9soul
02-01-2008, 11:07 AM
How frightening for you :(. I am so very glad to hear it was nothing serious and that he will be feeling back to himself soon. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Even the best dog mommies miss things sometimes.

pitc9
02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm glad to hear he'll be fine!!

{{HUGS}}

Freedom
02-01-2008, 11:35 AM
So glad it has worked out fine. {{HUGS}}

Grace
02-01-2008, 01:18 PM
How frightening for all of you. I'm so glad everything is better now. Kisses for Duke to help him feel better.

chocolatepuppy
02-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Pawsitive thoughts headed Duke's way. You are not a bad mommy! These happen to most all of us sooner or later.

Alysser
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Poor Dukey. :( Feel better soon baby!! you are NOT a bad mom. How could you have known duke would eat it? Hope he learned his lesson.

Pam
02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
This is great news! I am so glad that handsome boy is OK.

hopefully he leaves you a nice present in the backyard. ;) Hehe.

I was thinking the same thing. Pooper scooping could be interesting in the next day or so. :p

lizbud
02-01-2008, 04:46 PM
That must have been so scary. I'm sorry it happened to Duke, but glad
the Vet cleared him from further injury. I hope his throat feels better soon.

You are a good mommy & got him help as quickly as possible. :)

anna_66
02-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Oh now we KNOW that your not a bad doggie mom! Things happen.

(((HUGS))) to Duke. Hope you feel better soon boy!

Taz_Zoee
02-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm just seeing this thread. First of all, you are so NOT a bad mommy!! So stop thinking that! Second, I'm glad it was nothing serious and that he will be fine as soon as his throat stops hurting. :)

Tollers-n-Dobes
02-02-2008, 03:11 PM
I just saw this now too.. I'm so glad that he's ok! Poor Duke, and you.

WELOVESPUPPIES
02-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I just wanted to let you all know Duke is doing much better today. He still has a cough when he gets overly excited but nothing compared to before. He relaxes and gets himself under control in less than a minute where before he was probably getting coughing attacks that were lasting 3-4 minutes, to the point I thought he was going to collapse because of not being able to catch his breath. No more pawing at his mouth so the swelling and irritation in his throat must be going down and the feeling of something being stuck is subsiding. I never want to experience anything like that again! He has been on a full days worth of medications and there is a definite improvement. He has a followup on Monday with the vet. Thanks to all for all the well wishes, prayers and support.

Daisy and Delilah
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
{{{{{Duke and Family}}}}}
I'm glad to hear you're doing better, Duke. I hope the recovery continues to go well :)