PDA

View Full Version : Too protective of my foster cats??

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 03:57 AM
Maybe it's just me being over protective, but I had the chance to put Zachariah in the adoption center at PetSmart tomorrow, but I just can't do it!! I won't do it to Calloway either.

I can't imagine taking them to the adoption center and putting them in these tiny little cubbies that they get where they only have enough room to turn around and lie down. Kittens have more room because they are so small, but Zachariah, well, he's a big boned. He'd be all cramped. And lonely. He loves to sit and chat, and he sleeps with me at night. Same with Calloway. Calloway would cry at the adoption center... he's so attached to me. They said the last time he was there, he cried piteously until I came to pick him up.

If I lived closer, and I could go and drop them off daily, and take them home overnight, I would, but it's 2hrs round trip on a good day.

Zach just seems so at peace. Yes, he's chasing my girls, but he's just such a good boy. He sits and chats with me for sometimes 20 minutes at a shot, he follows me around the house, he's happy. He was so miserable when he came back here to me. He hates change. He gets depressed and then he gets sick and doesn't eat. We almost lost him the first time when I took him from the shelter. He lost 8lbs in there (26lbs down to 18lbs). He could use the weight loss, but not that drastic in such a short time.

Am I just being a wimp?? Am I being over protective??? There were some fosters that I knew would be fine at the center, but these two guys... I just think it would break their hearts, again. I think I can do the special days when we go for just 6hrs and then go home (he won't like it, but we can do it). I just don't want my guys in there for days and hours on end. I'd be home crying about it every night. I don't mind people seeing them on the web and wanting to meet them, and I can meet them anywhere, but I don't want to enclose these guys in such small quarters, and then have them be alone. It's too sad, don't you think??

Zachariah
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0847.jpg
Look how relaxed he is.... can you put him in a cubby???
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/Zachpurrno2.jpg
And that face!! It's too kissable!!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/zachsmile.jpg

Calloway - my shy guy
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/calsnoe.jpg
and I also don't know if he'd fit in the cubbies in PetSmart, lol
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/jenn_librarian/HPIM0866.jpg

jenluckenbach
12-29-2007, 06:47 AM
I did not vote because I have a combination of answers. I think it is OK for an animal with the right personality AND for up to 2 weeks.

Just for the record Jennie, remember when I picked Zack up at PS to bring home to you? HE was very at ease and comfortable in the cage. Yes, he is big, but I remember thinking "it is a shame not to leave him here for a while, he surely could get adopted".

Medusa
12-29-2007, 07:44 AM
I'm not going to vote because when I was involved in rescuing/fostering, I took care of them and found homes for them directly, no Pet Smart, etc., not because I was against it but because it was such a hassle going back and forth. Plus I had a "sales" pitch that you wouldn't believe. :p I will say this, though: if you feel that it's working the way it is, then "let sleeping cats lie". Why change it if it's working?

loveallfurryfriends
12-29-2007, 08:02 AM
I am not sure what the right answer is. I know that long term, it is not something that I agree with. However, in the short term (a couple of weeks) I think that it's ok. Whatever the answer is, if you feel uncomfortable doing this then go with you gut. Both of them are gorgeous, and they are lucky to have an angel like you.

Freedom
12-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Jenn, you have done this fostering for some time now, and you are great at it. So go with your instincts! You have placed some pets through PetSmart, if I remember right; and you have found great homes for pets. So it works for some not for others, that is the great part of the FOSTER system. YOU get to know the personalities, not only to tell potential adoptors, but to make sure the cat is cared for in the best way possible even prior to adoption.

jenluckenbach
12-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Jennie, just a side note..... If Zack will NOT be going to petsmart, please let Kathy know ASAP! Cats are coming in from Huntingdon shelter tomorrow and another can come along if that cage will be empty. OK??

catmandu
12-29-2007, 09:39 AM
I have mixed feelings as there are many Pets who are on Pet Talk who have been adopted from Adoption Centres so thats clearly a positive.
But I wonder for those Pets who are not adopted, and sit there for a long time, how that effects them emotionally.
I have seen Pets who no longer get up and look when you visit, and have clearly given up hope.
Jen , you have more experience in fostering and I have the feeling that seeing a Cat happy and relaxed in a home enviroment makes them easier to rehome as potential adopters get a good idea of how they would fit into thier new Furr Ever Homes.

jenluckenbach
12-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Let me add a more general comment. (not about Zack)

Pet adoption cages at these large chain stores can be a WONDERFUL thing! As long as some rules apply. Rescues who place a cat there for Who-knows-how-long, are abusing a priveledge. Cats need to be rotated or they go cage crazy. But if living in a cage for a short time will get the cat out where the public can interact with him and give him a greater chance of adoption, then I say the confinement is well worth it! Not all cats would be suited for cage living though, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

For example, I would love for Cameo to have a spot at petsmart, but she injures herself when left over night in a cage. She pushes at the bars, sometimes with her face, until she hurts herself. NOT a good candidate!

So, I say common sense should be your guide. But....nothing ventured, nothing gained! I had many adopted through the Petsmart who had no interest while sitting in my foster rooms.

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Jennie, just a side note..... If Zack will NOT be going to petsmart, please let Kathy know ASAP! Cats are coming in from Huntingdon shelter tomorrow and another can come along if that cage will be empty. OK??

I emailed her last night.

Maybe I am over protective. I just hate when he gets so upset. He's got the sniffles at the moment, and I've been cleaning his nose too(he's not happy about that) so maybe it's best that he's here and not there getting sick, or getting anyone else sick. Dr. Hess was right about one thing... what is it about orange/red cats getting black boogers?! Everytime he gets the sniffles, and his nose gets gunky, it's always dark boogers.

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Let me add a more general comment. (not about Zack)

Pet adoption cages at these large chain stores can be a WONDERFUL thing! As long as some rules apply. Rescues who place a cat there for Who-knows-how-long, are abusing a priveledge. Cats need to be rotated or they go cage crazy. But if living in a cage for a short time will get the cat out where the public can interact with him and give him a greater chance of adoption, then I say the confinement is well worth it! Not all cats would be suited for cage living though, so that needs to be taken into consideration.

For example, I would love for Cameo to have a spot at petsmart, but she injures herself when left over night in a cage. She pushes at the bars, sometimes with her face, until she hurts herself. NOT a good candidate!

So, I say common sense should be your guide. But....nothing ventured, nothing gained! I had many adopted through the Petsmart who had no interest while sitting in my foster rooms.

Yeah... I guess you're right. I know it is fine for many of them. Autumn was having a blast in there, she played and played! The last time Cal was in he cried and hid in the top of the big cage the whole time. I emailed Kathy and said I'll bring him on the Jan. adoption day, pending weather, and maybe from there we can see how he is. I know they get lots of visits from volunteers in there too. The cages seem smaller there than they are in the Whitehall store though...

Gosh, could you imagine Sassafrass there?? He's be totally hairless within 24hrs! And Furbee... the shrieks that cat makes still ring in my ears! :p

Taz_Zoee
12-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I voted I think it's okay for some pets. You know your fosters and their personalities. You know who could handle it and who cant. So just use your judgement and do what you know is right for that specific kitty.
It sounds like Zach might be able to handle it, but it sounds like Calloway would NOT. But if you don't want to put Zach through it, then don't.

And thank you for reposting my favorite picture of Zach (the first one). :D

Grace
12-29-2007, 04:30 PM
The PetSmart near us has large cages - some have 2 levels, some have 2 rooms. Mostly the cats are from the local Humane Society - and the conditions there are much more cramped than at PetSmart.

I think it's fine for some cats.

Craftlady
12-29-2007, 04:45 PM
I love PetSmart adoption centers, Got Eleanor, RB Thumper, Stephen through rescue that keeps in the store.
They let the cats out of cages and exercise in the room area where the cages are located (with main door into the area locked of course).
I picked the 1-2 weeks option.
Normally at our PetSmart they rotate every 3 weeks tops.

orangemm
12-29-2007, 04:58 PM
It depends on the individual animal. Some could tolerate it, others would have a hard time.

We got our guys at PetSmart, too. It was an enclosed area with a few cages; they were running around, like kittens do!

Looking at Zach, I would have a hard time putting him in a cage. :( As for Calloway, he looks like my Archy; same thing, no cage!

Lizzie
12-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I voted for 1-2 weeks, though I hate the whole business. I had to get used to sending my fosters out to the adoption centers or they would never have found homes. I thought an adoption event would be better and tried that, but it seems to attract impulse-buyers. At least at the centers potential adopters can come back again and again while they think about adoption. The one where about half my foster kittens went to this year is about five miles away from me so I visited them every other day. And the cages are in a room where people can go in and interact with the cats in a space in front of the cages. The volunteers are there twice a day and let all the cats out for a few hours to play and interact. It's miserable, but most of the kittens coped with it very well and they all found homes. Only in one case has it turned out very badly, with little Fiorella who is now back home with me. The stress of it made her sick.

Although it can take several weeks, I've seen all the adult cats in that center adopted also. If that's what it takes, and the cat can cope, you have to grit your teeth and go through with it. If you are visiting every few days, you can assess how things are going and pull them if necessary.

catnapper
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I voted this morning and now have time to post a response :)

I have no problem with the cage thing. Here's a few observations:
1) MANY cats come out of their shells in the cage. I've seen many shy kitties develop funny personalities while in there. They aren't terrified for long in there.
2) They gets LOTS of loving. I step in whenever I'm there. I know the managers and other employees do too. Some of the managers of the store develop personal relationships with the cats. Many cats have been adopted to Petsmart employees because they've gotten to know the cats during their stint in the cages.
3) They gets lots of socialization with countless people and the other kitties in there.
4) We've had 300+ cats adopted out of those cages in just under 2 years... the majority of our cats are adopted through the exposure of being in the cages. Many who don't go to the cages get adopted simply because someone saw a cat in the cage and called to inquire about more... maybe a special black and white when all we showed in the cage were black ones? A calico when there was only torties?
5) The best for last: Whats one or two weeks in a cage if it means a lifetime of love with a new family?

I haven't been able to clean the cages like I used to, and these are observations from when I did cages twice a week. I see the kitties every week when I am working though.

jennielynn1970
12-29-2007, 08:30 PM
See, the PetSmart that I voluteered at with The Cat Shack, it got to the point where if you weren't on the list that day to clean, you were not allowed in. The store staff were not allowed in there with the cats, and only the people cleaning twice a day were allowed back there. Maybe it's all in who runs the store. To me, the PS by me is just lonely.

I like the idea about how people can come back again and again, and so at an adoption day it's not an impulse "buy". Didn't think of it that way when I was thinking about adoption days.

cassiesmom
12-29-2007, 08:40 PM
I would rather Petsmart give the space to adoption programs as opposed to selling kittens outright. When I see the cats in the cubbies I want to bring them all home!

Lizzie
12-29-2007, 11:17 PM
How about taking Zachariah to adoption events but telling people that they can only fill out the adoption questionnaire and must wait a week to see him again and finalize the adoption? Someone who seriously wants him will go along with this. The shelter I volunteer for would allow me to do this for any of my fosters, and Zach is a special case so yours should go along with it. Can you require a home visit or vet references? I know you are extremely concerned about him going to a home where they will appreciate him forever, I would be also with his history, but you do need to get him out there so that people can see him. No gain without some pain.

Calloway could do with losing some weight for the sake of his health so a cage with restricted food intake might be just what he needs. As Catnapper said, cats often show other sides of their personality when they are at the centers though it can take a few days or even a week. They really are good places for the shy cats to get used to being handled and come out of their shells in ways they didn't have to in our homes. That being said, I sent out one kitten who had been hell on wheels in my home, so much so that I called him Puck after the rather naughty character in "A Midsummer Night's Dream", only to see him become completely introverted at the center. He's all black and I was afraid he'd be there forever and then be adopted by someone who completely misread his personality, no matter what my bio on him said. I emailed his eventual adopter and told him about my concerns. I got a wonderful email back saying that yes, they'd been very surprised when Puck suddenly changed after a week in their home, but they adored him and didn't mind cleaning up the chaos he leaves behind - whew!

Is there someone you know near the adoption center so they can check on Calloway frequently and given you honest updates?