PDA

View Full Version : When to take kitten?

sirrahved
11-26-2007, 11:11 AM
I'd like to have a day set when we are going to bring George home. I'm wondering about next Sunday. He will be 7 weeks, two days. Is this too soon? Should I wait until his 8 week birthday?

Babies have been eating real food for almost two weeks. Mom is already taking long excursions away, and even trying to mate (again!) Happy news, though, Mama's keepers are going to alter her!

Laura's Babies
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
I don't know what the pro's think but I think 6 weeks is good as long as they are eating on their own. I always wanted them as soon as I could get them so as not to miss a minute of the fun!!!

Emeraldgreen
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
The shelter I used to be in contact with went by the 7 week mark as an appropriate time for a kitten to be adopted. I've only ever adopted one cat that was the age of a kitten (the rest were adult cats) and she was 7 weeks old at the time and did just fine. :)

Grace
11-26-2007, 01:48 PM
I say go get him!! You need George right now to help fill those empty Iris spaces.

catmandu
11-26-2007, 04:45 PM
That I Think Depends On How Socailized The Kitten Is. A Kitten Who Has Been Around People And Other Cats Will Not Need As Much Time As A Kitten Who Has Been A Stray And Isolated.
Thats Pouncer Roccalnos Trouble,shes Over A Year Old And May Take Forever To Socialize ,
It Sounds Though As Though George Is Ready To Start His New Life And His Guardian Angel George Will Come Along And Help Little George Out.he Was A Friendly Well Adjusted Cat And Will Be Little Georges Guardian Angel.

moosmom
11-26-2007, 07:00 PM
I say go get him too! At 7 weeks he should be able to eat on his own and use the litterbox.

My two little ones I'm fostering are about 5-6 weeks old. They're eating canned and crunchies along with mama's milk. But they can certainly start to be weaned. Ideally, most shelters like to keep kids with mama together for 8 weeks.

Go get 'em!!!!

sirrahved
11-26-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. I've fostered 6 weekers without mama before.

Sunday it is, unless his current keepers protest.

Catty1
11-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Sirrahved, I've attached a photo about your kitten....even though the name is spelled a little differently! :)

catfamily
11-27-2007, 07:27 PM
6 -8 weeks is fine.George can go home to you now...don't worry :)
Lucky kitty :)

sirrahved
11-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Catty- what a cute photo!

My resolve is beginning to melt. I thought about Friday, but luckily I have the excuse of babysitting that day to keep me away.

Sunday is just too far away! *sighs*