PDA

View Full Version : do your cats have alpha no alpha?

inkspot14
07-29-2002, 01:40 PM
mine do.

moosmom
07-29-2002, 02:19 PM
Well, having 7 cats now (Deke has become a part of my fur family) it's my sphynx MooShoo. I let Deke out to mingle with the rest of the crew and things are going well. So it looks like it's going to work out.

Fuzzy317
07-29-2002, 03:57 PM
My cats seem to have an alpha, our Jackson. Even our 6 month old puppy Ginger treats him like an alpha.

Miss Meow
07-29-2002, 05:31 PM
We have a weird alpha thing going. Jasmine is the alpha and beats Mini up joyfully because he has learnt the defence, but not the attack! She's also alpha female at the foodbowl unless it's barbecue chicken, then look out and stay out of the way, it's Mini's domain!

NoahsMommy
07-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Both of our cats are fighting for the alpha position.... ;)

yorkster
07-29-2002, 09:59 PM
I'm not sure that any of my cats are alpha :confused: We have 3 males. There seems to be some things that Kedi is alpha about, and other things Wylie is the alpha. Now we have the kitten Rudy, and he just runs around being a kitten so far. He does kind of submit to the bigger kitties some of the time..........:rolleyes:

Our DOG is for sure not the alpha!

purrley
07-30-2002, 06:59 AM
My Panda is the matriarch (big time alpha) of my fur kids. What she says goes or ya get a hiss and a BIG swat!!!

07-31-2002, 12:41 PM
Sorry to ask , but what is "alpha to alpha" ???????????? I thought this was about reading cats ..;

inkspot14
07-31-2002, 01:41 PM
the alpha is your matriarch pet the non alphas are the lower pets.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-31-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by lut
Sorry to ask , but what is "alpha to alpha" ???????????? I thought this was about reading cats ..;

Lut,

Alpha, as in Alpha & Omega. Alpha being the head honco, the leader of the pack, and Omega being the end, or the lowest on the totem pole. Used quite often when discussing wolf packs.

In my house Tubby would be the Alpha because he has always been the dominant one, and Peanut would be the Omega because she is the less dominant.

Hope this helps!:)

Former User
08-01-2002, 02:00 AM
Hmmm, I can't really say which one is which one, they both are pretty srong minded and both are alphas! C & K are equal! Sometimes Casper takes the whole food bowl when we give food, but next time, Kitty pushes him away :rolleyes: , so I can't really tell!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
08-01-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty
[B]Hmmm, I can't really say which one is which one, they both are pretty srong minded and both are alphas! C & K are equal! [B]

I've often wondered about your two, Niina. Normally one will just kind of take over the Alpha role, but that hasn't seem to have happened in C & K's case. Sometimes we see Kitty licking Casper's head which makes her seem like the dominant "momma" type, but then, like you say, he goes and pushes her away, or takes the food bowl making him seem like the dominant one. Interesting case study for anyone into kitty psychology. ;) :)

Pam
08-01-2002, 10:39 AM
My two are hard to figure out. Andy is the one who starts the mutual grooming, but he is also the one who starts the wrestling. Trevor sort of decides when to declare "the end" to both activities. Is the alpha the starter or the finisher? :rolleyes:

AmberLee
08-02-2002, 02:02 AM
I've read that the lesser dominant cat challenges/ 'takes on' the dominant as a bid for power, but ... this could be hooey. A lot of nonsense gets written.

(Very, very sleepy right now. Not sure whether I'm talking hooey at the moment. Good night all!)

Pam
08-02-2002, 06:13 AM
AmberLee you know that does make some sense. Trevor's sheer size, compared to Andy, I think maybe speaks for itself (at least in Andy's mind) as to his 'dominance' and Andy is trying to maybe challenge him? Silly little Andy. :rolleyes:

By the way, I LOVE the quote in your signature! How true!

yorkster
08-04-2002, 04:13 PM
My kitty Liza (RB) was a little itty-bitty thing, but she was absolutely THE ALPHA for most of her years, until she got pretty sick shortly before she passed away. She always hated dogs, and they were afraid of her (she weighed all of 7 lbs.) My other cat (Kedi) weighed 15 lbs. and was always 'obeying' her. It was funny, she used to like to swat him down every so often, for no reason at all. :D Then she would strut off. A few minutes later, he would go over and try and groom her.

Her pic:

krazyaboutkatz
08-04-2002, 11:31 PM
I think that Storm is the alpha in my house. He acts like he's the mother to Sunny and Pepper. If they leave the litterbox untidy, he'll go in and tidy it up for them. If he wants a drink he'll push Pepper or Sunny out of the way. I've also seen Pepper push Sunny out of the way to get a drink. I haven't seen them fighting over food though. Storm will also be the one to start attacking Pepper but Sunny seems to be the one to start attacking Storm. I don't think that any of them are always in the dominant role though.

yorkster
08-05-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
If they leave the litterbox untidy, he'll go in and tidy it up for them.

he-he-he!!! :D
now that is funny! :p

Vi Co Bi
08-14-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317
My cats seem to have an alpha, our Jackson. Even our 6 month old puppy Ginger treats him like an alpha.

Fuzzy, you know good and well that if you asked ROSIE, she'd tell you SHE was in charge and Jackson was the "Enforcer"...

...But that's only because Rosie doesn't like anyone - especially you. <wink>

Fuzzy317
08-14-2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Vi Co Bi
Fuzzy...But that's only because Rosie doesn't like anyone - especially you. <wink>

What Vi Co Bi (my fiancee) is referring to, I once had a dream that our Jackson told me that Rosie didn't like anyone, especially me...its a running joke. :rolleyes: Apparently that night, Jackson slept on my pillow, thats why I dreamed of him. :)