PDA

View Full Version : Possibly getting a Frog?

sammy101
07-23-2007, 11:38 AM
I went to Walmart the other day and i went to go look at the fish and they had these little Albino Frogs (don't remember what their exact name was..). They were in the cups like the betta fish come in.
Anyways, I would really love to get one but i'm not sure how to take care of it? Of course i want to know how to take care of him/her properly before i buy one. I'll probably go to Petsmart also to see if they have them.

Does anyone know what Frogs i'm talking about? Are there any good websites or can anyone tell me how to take care of it properly? Food,water,tank,etc.

Thanks! :)

inlovewithanimals
07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I used to have 4 albino frogs but that was a long time ago all i remember was having them in a 20 gallon tank with a light and filter and they ate these pellets but gradually as they got bigger you have to feed them fedder guppies and then work your way up to large fish.

Justin,

Chilli
07-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Definately sounds like you've set your sights on an African Clawed Frog. :)
Right now they're small, but they can grow to a decent size. I've heard 5", but my ACF is currently at around 3.5-4". Some choose to house them with fish, others don't. My ACF shares a 29g with two goldfish. She never shows any interest in the goldfish, so its not a problem. I have often heard of ACFs killing and eating smaller fish if they have the opportunity.

I don't like feeding any of my aquatic animals feeder fish unless I raise them myself. There is too much of a chance for a disease to be introduced to the tank. Instead, my ACF steals some goldfish food when she finds the chance. She often gets treated to some bloodworms aswell. Petstores do sell food specifically for aquatic frogs; you could look into that if you want.

I'm honestly not certain what the minimum tank size would be. I've heard 10g is a good size, but don't take my word on it. :] As for the water, I found that my ACF does just fine in room temp. water. As long as you avoid the common problems some fish owner run into(such as high ammonia, highly acidic water, etc.), your ACF should be just fine in a decent sized, filtrated tank.
Make sure the tank is fitted with a secure lid. These little guys can be good little escape artists.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r310/CheckAgain/i8-07.png
Here is a picture of my ACF. I couldn't help but share it^^.

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge. :)

sammy101
07-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Ok thanks! :)
So would bottled water (spring water) be ok? Thats what i do with my Betta fish. I would probably put him in a 2G tank for now. Would the tank need a filter? Because when i saw them they weren't in a filtrated tank.
Would they just need rocks and some plants?
I'm sure i'll have more questions eventually!

Chilli
07-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Yep, spring water should be fine since its clear of all the chlorine & such thats harmful.
I never recommend having a filter for anything under 5g, so you should be fine as long as you keep up with the water changes(which I know you will :)).

And the decor is basically the same as if the ACF were a fish. Just make sure the plants are made of a material that won't scratch up the frog's skin.

Good luck! I'll be around if you have anymore questions.

Genny
07-25-2007, 04:38 AM
I use to have several of the big albino frogs and I just fed them blood worms I never fed them any live fish or anything like that. They lived for many many years and were healthy..

IRescue452
07-25-2007, 05:11 AM
great site with lots of info
http://clawedfrogs.tripod.com/id19.html

IMHO, a 2 gallon tank is rather small for even a baby. Those stupid cups they sell them in deceive customers into thinking they can house animals in cruel situations. Don't get the frog if you aren't willing to get the proper supplies and housing for it right away. Would you get a dog and have it live in a large kennel for four months and call it a "temporary" situation while you figured out something better?

Genny
07-25-2007, 06:54 PM
yeah, they do need a nice big tank to be kept in because they grow really fast and can get huge before you know it, but they're really tons of fun and I really enjoyed watching mine grow...I had them for about 4 years and loved them ;)

TamanduaGirl
07-27-2007, 10:02 PM
If you want a small frog the have them. African dwarf frogs.