PDA

View Full Version : When to spay & neuter

shawsdanes
07-05-2007, 07:01 AM
I own mainly dogs, and the cat that I have I rescued. So I have never owned a kitten before. I was wondering when is a good age to spay/neuter. I know for dogs its at approx 6 months of age. I didn't know if the same help for cats or not.

THanks!

Medusa
07-05-2007, 09:12 AM
My vet says not before 6 months of age but I know that's up for debate w/some vets.

shawsdanes
07-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Thank you!

moosmom
07-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Depending on your vet, 6 months is a good guide. I've always had my cats spayed/neutered at 5 months to avoid them going into heat.

Catlady711
07-05-2007, 10:49 PM
My boss recommends 6 months for female cats and 7 months for male cats. It's not a set in stone rule, he has sometimes neutered as young as 5 months if the cat starts acting like a tomcat (ie; fighting, spraying etc)

Dusty was already spayed when she showed up (RIP Dusty)

I had Jack neutered when he showed up at 7 months old

I had Pooky & Bear neutered at 5 1/2 months because they started fighting with each other and the other cats.

I had Cami spayed when she showed up at 1 year old.

I had Sassy & Sabrina spayed at 5 months because of having their intact brother in the house, I didn't want to take a chance on more kittens.

I had Josh neutered at 5 1/2 months because it worked out schedule wise for the surgery.