PDA

View Full Version : Help! I Need It Now!

KittyGurl
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
This is Duke's last chance. If he goes to the bathroom in the house one more time, my grandmom is going to get rid of him! I take him out for walks a lot more and let him out in the yard too. Any help would be great. I just need it really quickly. I really don't wanna give Duke away! I can't lose him now! :(

k9krazee
06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
This is not something that can be solved in two minutes.

It is your responsibility to not allow him to go to the bathroom in the house. Set up a schedule and allow him plenty of opportunites to go outside and when he's in the house either crate him or put a leash on him and tether him to you.

Karen
06-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Yes, set a regular schedule, and take him out and don't go in until he has "done his business." When does he "go" in the house? Is there a pattern? Cut down on treats in the evenings after dinner if it's a night-time thing, etc. Figure out a pattern, then modify your own behavior and schedule to combat this.

KittyGurl
06-25-2007, 01:12 PM
Yes, set a regular schedule, and take him out and don't go in until he has "done his business." When does he "go" in the house? Is there a pattern? Cut down on treats in the evenings after dinner if it's a night-time thing, etc. Figure out a pattern, then modify your own behavior and schedule to combat this.

He usually goes to the bathroom in the house in the middle of the night. Once and awhile he will go in the day time. He doesn't do that everyday though. He also went in my aunts house. I always give him treats when he goes to the bathroom in the yard or out on walks. I don't give him treats when he goes in the house. When ever we catch him "going" in the house, we tell him "NO!" I thought that would be good.

pitc9
06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
I HIGHLY suggest getting a crate and leaving him in it when he can not be watched. But be sure not to leave him it too long, only use it during the day when no one can keep an eye on him and also at night.
How old is he?
What breed?
Has he been cheked by a vet to be sure he doesn't have a medical problem??
Do you take him out right after he's eaten?
Does he poop or pee (or both) in the house?
You may want to limit his water intake to only when you're home and are able to take him out to potty a little while after drinking.

k9krazee
06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Okay, you're problem is at night, then? I would suggest either once again, tying him to your bed at night or putting him in a crate.

Good luck!

Genny
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
What kind of dog is Duke? The way we house trained our poodle was we put newspapers down for her at first (in the house) and when she went on them we would take them outside with us when we took her out and then she would smell that and see that's where she had gone before and then she'd use the bathroom outside instead of in the house. It took time but she is now 6 yrs old and never uses the bathroom in the house!!!

Also putting him in a crate/dog carrier would be a good idea too. Just only let him out when you're playing/feeding him or taking him outside!

Seravieve
06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
Not sure if you free feed or not.. but with dogs that have issues with going to the bathroom inside.. it is better to not free feed. If you feed them in the morning and at night and then let them outside immediately after, they will get on a routine..

Our three go outside while I prepare their meals, they pee, and then they come in and eat. Then its right back outside for them, and they'll all three poop. Took about a week for Eli to get completely used to this schedule when we got him..

One thing with our Bunny is that if we let her have free roam of the house at night, she will --guarenteed-- pee and/or poop downstairs in front of our tv. We have a 2 story townhouse.. so we put up a baby gate at the top of the steps, she can wander around upstairs.. but not downstairs. And she's never peed or pooped upstairs. We've also, in the past, used leashes and tied them to our dresser legs. That was before the baby gate.

We also let them outside right before we go upstairs to go to bed and first thing in the morning after they wake up.

This is definitely not a quick fix.. but if you can figure out when he's going and make changes to prevent him from doing so, it can be solved. =)
Good luck!

luvofallhorses
06-25-2007, 08:37 PM
you NEED to get a crate.

Genny
06-25-2007, 11:33 PM
yes, everyone has given good advice, but I wanted to add that most dogs go to the bathroom after they wake up and after eating mostly so always make sure you carry Duke out at those times too :)

luvofallhorses
06-25-2007, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I would zip him outside everytime he eats, drinks lots of water, and definately after he wakes up from a long nap!

Hellow
06-26-2007, 05:46 AM
I dont know if this will be of any help but, try thoes indoor potty pads. while we was potty training reggie we used thoes so that she could go to the bathroom inside as well as outside. Then we started switching her to all outside. We NEVER even TOUCHED a crate during this AND we free fed during this. it just takes patience, it took us over a year to potty - train reggie.

KittyGurl
06-26-2007, 08:13 AM
I HIGHLY suggest getting a crate and leaving him in it when he can not be watched. But be sure not to leave him it too long, only use it during the day when no one can keep an eye on him and also at night.
How old is he?
What breed?
Has he been cheked by a vet to be sure he doesn't have a medical problem??
Do you take him out right after he's eaten?
Does he poop or pee (or both) in the house?
You may want to limit his water intake to only when you're home and are able to take him out to potty a little while after drinking.

Duke is a three year old Beagle. He doesn't have a medical problem when we took him to the vet. My grandpa takes him out early in the morning once he wakes up. I usually take him out after I get back from school, but since it's summer, I take him for a walk after he is done eating lunch. He pees and poops in the house, but mostly poops.

Thank you everyone for your advice :D

Danegirl2208
06-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Like everyone else is saying Duke needs to be on a schedule...pick 2 times a day to feed him (unless you only feed once a day), early morning and in the evening for example. Keep to that Schedule. He also needs to be crated if you can, i couldn't imagine house training a dog without a crate, it makes the whole process a whole lot easier...When hes done eating he needs to go out, when he gets up from a nap he should go out aswell.

Hellow
06-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, i mean i use a crate as a bed for reggie but i never lock her up in it. And, i dont see how crating a dog helps, it seems that it would make it harder.

SemaviLady
06-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Are belly bands (http://www.google.com/search?btnG=Google+Search&q=belly+band+dog) an option for Pete?

These are not training devices, more like male dog diapers, for pee.

Pogiebate
06-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Taking your dog for a walk isn't teaching him to potty outside.
When taking him outside, stand in one spot, don't move until he has done his stuff, then you can play with him, walk him what ever. But when you walk him all he is going to do is sniff and forget why he is out there LOL.

Crating does wonders for teaching dogs and pups not not to go in the house. If they are in a crate most will not dirty where they sleep. So he will hold it until someone gets up and takes him out. Thus learning NOT to potty in the kennel/house :)

I myself never bother with paper, not when I can teach them to go outside right away, I'm lazy, I don't want to teach them to go on paper then teach them to go outside LOL.

Yes this will take time, but it will happen over time.

SemaviLady
06-29-2007, 01:25 PM
I would put in a small room at night with bare floors covered with news paper and check a couple times a night to see if there is pattern. Or maybe get a big pan with kitty litter.OH! There is actually a type of 'doggie' litter box now. I know of breeders that use this stuff (http://www.doggysolutions.com/) to help housebreak small breed pups before they go to their new homes and pup buyers rave about how well started the puppies are when they get them (they learn to go outdoors when the box is moved out there by the breeder or whatever system used). I know of one Anatolian breeder that raises her dogs as house dogs and she recently bred her first litter in about a decade. She said she liked the convenience of this box because she didn't have other arrangements for the pups to go outside sometimes. I don't personally have an opinion/experience with it.

Here's another article using different locally available (http://www.kturby.com/litter/litter.htm) materials.

All that said housebreaking an adult or near adult dog should generally use the same techniques normally used with puppies. Here's an article called: Housebreaking the Second Time Around (http://www.lgd.org/library/housebrk.htm) one of our forum library has on housebreaking rescues and other adult dogs.

More articles on adopted dogs and rescue here at our library (http://www.lgd.org/library.htm#rescueart). Scroll up and down to see the rest of our library.

IRescue452
06-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Newspaper is a bad idea, or paper of any kind. Once a dog learns its ok to potty on paper, they have a greater chance of doing it in the future. Lets say he really has to go one day and sees paper on the floor. He'll think its ok to go on that paper since it was ok in the past.

Jessika
06-30-2007, 10:23 AM
Well, i mean i use a crate as a bed for reggie but i never lock her up in it. And, i dont see how crating a dog helps, it seems that it would make it harder.
If used PROPERLY, crates are wonderful house training tools.

I do not see them as cruel. My Charlie actually sees it as his "bedroom", it is always left open when we are home, and when he gets tired or anxious he will go to his "bedroom" and just hang out. Same with Jamie. Oftentimes hubby and I look at each other and say "Where are the dogs??" and go look, and they're both curled up with each other inside the crate.

Had it not have been for the crate, house breaking Jamie (again after we moved) would have been a nightmare. And not only for the "sake" of our carpets and furniture, for her OWN safety!! I can not begin to tell you the things she would get into, and eat, while out of a crate while we were away at work. Two examples would be some hydrocodone and 2 1/2 lbs of chocolate fudge. YES, I had the things put up and out of their reach, but the cat is an instigator, or they realllly have a good nose and know how to get into the cabinets, lol. But point blank, had they have been crated, it would not have happened. Because what if, one time, I DO forget to do my thorough check before I leave the house, and they wind up getting into something much, much worse????? Or if there is an emergency, say we spill some toxic cleaning chemicals or whatnot and don't want them stepping in it or eating it. My #1 reason for using the crate is for their own safety first when I am not around to supervise.

But it was also heavensent in terms of housebreaking her again once we moved into our new apartment.

So, if used PROPERLY, the crate can only be a good thing and not cruel at all :)

Animallover1004
07-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Maybe you should go to the Vet because he has a urinary problem or something!
You can also get this towel thing that you put around his hindquarters, so if he pees, it will go into the towel thing! :eek:

Genny
07-07-2007, 07:37 PM
I didn't know if you've posted lately or not, but how is he doing? Is Duke getting better about going out??

KittyGurl
07-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Duke is getting a lot better. He hasn't gone to the bathroom in the house in a week. I taken everyone's advice. I put him in a crate, took him outside whenever he eats and/or drinks. Thanks everyone for your help! :)

SemaviLady
07-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Duke is getting a lot better. He hasn't gone to the bathroom in the house in a week.That's great news!
http://friendsforever.foren-city.de/images/smiles/a084.gif

Alysser
07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I was wondering how this went. I'm glad Duke is improving! :)

crow_noir
07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
That's wonderful news that he's doing so well!

Genny
07-27-2007, 02:16 AM
well that's so awesome! I'm really happy for you. I wondered how he was and what ended up happening!!

lisahumphreys882
08-07-2007, 06:59 PM
If you happen to catch him doing his business in the house try just simply making him sit in the corner and ignoring him for a while. Dogs seek attention whether it be negative or positive so even telling him "no" might be giving him something he wants. We had a problem with my dog going to the bathroom in the house even just after being let out (he had already been potty-trained and had been going to the bathroom fine outside for like a year) until he randomly started going inside the house. We had tried yelling "no" at him for a while, we tried putting him outside until he went to the bathroom and we tried many other things. But then I decided one time (when I caught him in the act) to just make him sit in a corner and don't let him leave for a few minutes and if he whines or anything just ignore it. I think what Benji (my dog) was doing, when he was messing in the house, was trying to get attention so when he wasn't getting it, he stopped. Maybe this will help. Good Luck!

summerpuppy418
08-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Take him for alot of walks. When he "goes" gim him treats or complement him. Just do the basic training. Don't worry you won't lose him.