PDA

View Full Version : gerbil breeding help

animalwhisperer
06-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I want to get a breeding pair but I'm not quite sure what colors to get. anyway all I want to know is what parent combinations will get me dark eyed white pups :confused: I know alot about gerbil genetics but I can't seem to figure this one out! can any one that breeds gerbils help me?

Hellow
06-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Ok, i am pretty sure that you need to get a ruby eyed white female like my Little Bit, and a black-eyed gerbil. thats all of my advice.

animalwhisperer
06-23-2007, 09:46 PM
thank you alot. I am still open to more suggestions though.... :D

Giselle
06-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, is having black eyes a dominant or recessive gene? What about the color white? Are they linked genes? How tightly are they linked? Are there any known genetic quirks? If you say you understand gerbil genetics so well, you should know the answers to these questions. Hence, you could answer your own question.

ETA: What a gerbil is phenotypically probably isn't what it is genetically. So, theoretically, once you've found the "correct" pair that will give you black eyed white pups, you'll have to dig deep and/or test mate your parent gerbils to find their true genetic history.

IRescue452
06-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Are you looking at just a basic light cream or an actual black eyed white? You'll most likely have to find a breeder to get BEW gerbils because its not an easy trait to come across.

Hellow
06-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Go HERE (http://www.agsgerbils.org/Color_Strip/ivory_cream.html) . I believe that this is the genes that you are looking for.