PDA

View Full Version : Owner's appeal over cat's 26 toes

ChrisH
06-12-2007, 05:54 AM
They say cats have nine lives - so meet Des, who has 26 toes.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Miscellaneous/_43033935_des_203x300.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Miscellaneous/_43033931_rearpaw_203.jpg

While most pet cats have 18 - five on their front paws and four on their rear - the 10-year-old boasts seven on his front and six on his back paws. The extra digits have left owner Alison Thomas, of Felindre, near Swansea, pondering whether it is a UK record.

One expert said cats with extra toes were common in the area around the old county of Cardiganshire and were sometimes known as "Cardi-cats".

A animal with too many toes is called a polydactyl.

There are unconfirmed reports in north America of cats with up to 28 toes - but Mrs Thomas cannot find records closer to home. Mother-of-three Mrs Thomas said: "He came to us when he was about six months old - he just turned up on the doorstep and it was even more noticeable then because his paws were so big. The first thing people say when they see him even now is 'look at his paws'.
He is a bit temperamental - if you know him you are okay but Des can be quite quick with his paws and leave a nasty scratch because he has so many claws.
He did have a problem with his paws a while back - nothing to do with the number of the toes - and the vet said he could amputate the extra ones. But they don't cause him any problems - he does not scratch the furniture - the children know and they say 'don't go near Des's claws'."

Mrs Thomas said she had read it was common for a polydactyl to have 24 toes - but 26 was 'very rare'.

Sally Hyman, from the Llys Nini Animal Centre in Penllergaer, Swansea, said she had seen lots of cats with six toes, but never one with seven. "It's quite common to have six toes in Cardiganshire, and therefore we call them 'Cardi-cats' sometimes," Ms Hyman explained. "Its because it's a genetic defect, the gene pool is actually concentrated in south west Wales, and so it's more likely to get a cat with that genetic defect, breeding with another cat with that genetic defect in Cardigan, than anywhere, else in Britain."

Mrs Thomas said she was "amazed", as Des had been born in Newcastle Emlyn in west Wales. "He obviously is a Cardi-cat," she said.

The world record might belong to a cat called Mickey Mouse who was owned by Renee Delgade of Westlake Village, California, in 1974. It had 32 toes, but there are doubts about the record as Mickey may have had "double paw" condition and may not have been a pure polydactyl.

There is speculation the real record holder for a polydactyl is Bobbi, owned by Kathy Williams of Stone Creek in British Columbia. The Canadian press reported in 2002 it had 28 toes.

"We would be interested to find out what the record is the UK," added Mrs Thomas.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/wales/south_west/6741167.stm

CultureJunky
06-12-2007, 07:10 AM
That's so neat! And a welsh cat too! that's top :D

Laura's Babies
06-12-2007, 07:51 AM
A very handsome cat with all those toes.

Medusa
06-12-2007, 09:01 AM
More digits to open forbidden doors and get into trouble with. :p

kimlovescats
06-12-2007, 01:51 PM
He is an adorable kitty! Just think of all the BIG biscuits he can make!!!! :D

Whisk_Luva
06-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Just texting my friend! I cant remember how many toes her cat Cleo has but I think its something like that!

Whisk_Luva
06-12-2007, 02:24 PM
You never guess what people! My friends cat Cleo also has 26 toes! :eek:

I will try and get pics but it might be a bit hard coz I see her cats on the way to school and they are black- I dont have much time and her house it pretty dark so I might not be able to but I sure can try!

Whooooa go Cleo!

Freedom
06-12-2007, 04:24 PM
All those nails to clip . . . . . :rolleyes:

Catlady711
06-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I think polydactyls are really neat! My Pooky is one, he has 24 toes (7 on each front, 5 on each back).

orangemm
06-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I love all those toesies!!! :D Wow, wonder if they charge extra when he gets a pedicure? ;)

We used to have 2 polydactyls, RB Daisy & RB Dali. Always used to tease them and say they had their "work boots" on.

catmandu
06-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I Remember Seeing Cats With Extra Toes At The Vets And Thier Guardians Saying That The Extra Toes Gave Them An Advantage Over Thier Cats With The Usual Number Of Toes.
I Remember A Kitten Who Only Had 16 Toes ,a Bit Like Miquelitos Snoopy But With 4 Toes On Each Paw.

Karen
06-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Most of the kitties in my neighborhood growing up were polydactyl tuxies, so normal kitty paws looked so little to me!

Husky_mom
06-12-2007, 05:30 PM
correct me if I´m wrong but I think Glacier has one kitty with 27 toesies....... :eek: would it be Poly Paws?

mrspunkysmom
06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
I found it interesting that she differentiated between 7 toes on one paw and having tow paw per leg, one full and one partial. Until now, I didn't know that the cat could have all the toes on one paw.

Louie has extra paws and actually stands different because of it.

Anne

rg_girlca
06-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow, That's a lot of toes and quite a handsome boy.

Little Lindy Lou, has 22 toes.

Anikaca77
06-14-2007, 09:29 AM
My big boy Sebastian has 23 toes.