PDA

View Full Version : Escargot Anyone??

Edwina's Secretary
04-28-2007, 04:15 PM
I think I am tolerant of creatures in my garden...but I draw the line at SNAILS....I do not like them. Every couple of days I "harvest" all the snails I can see...

Today I harvest 39....there was a 40th but too hard to reach....

Uck...I do not want to use snail bait because of the cats...I tried pans of beer...they drank it and left....

any other ideas?

lizbud
04-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Uck...I do not want to use snail bait because of the cats...I tried pans of beer...they drank it and left....

any other ideas?

Sorry , but I think this is hilarious. :D Some rowdy snails there. :D

I have a few snails around parts of the backyard, but I never tried to get
rid of them. Slugs, however, are gross creatures that freak me out. :eek:

lute
04-28-2007, 04:44 PM
I have no idea of how to get rid of snails. They sure are nasty lil creatures though.

Scooter's Mom
04-28-2007, 04:45 PM
My husband said salt... but that you can't put it on the ground b/c it would leach into the soil and kill things. :(

kuhio98
04-28-2007, 04:51 PM
When I lived in Taiwan, we used to rim the garden with salt. It would dissolve the snail on contact, so they stayed away. Might try it around a small area and see if it works.

Twisterdog
04-29-2007, 12:01 AM
I LOVE garden snails. I think they are the cutest things! You could send them all to me, but it's too dry here for them to live.

My friend in California also did the salt trick. She put a line of salt all the way around her yard and then put all the snails outside of her yard. She said they stayed completely out unless it rained and then she had to replace the salt.

RICHARD
04-29-2007, 12:07 AM
lol,

I watch the mexican tv channels and they sell a product called "crema de caracol"- snail snot- for wrinkly skin.

They show people who harvest snails and note how the SS keeps their skin nice and soft....so they package it and people put it on their wrinkles! :eek: :confused:

gini
04-29-2007, 01:45 AM
Only in California do we throw a party for snails and provide the beer!:D

columbine
04-29-2007, 08:53 AM
I tried pans of beer...they drank it and left....Are you sure it was them? Were there any skunks staggering around with lampshades on their heads, or dogs howling Danny Boy noted in the area?

Love, Columbine

Maya & Inka's mommy
04-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Ha ha ha, now you will NEVER get rid of them!! They know now where they can get a free beer :D ;)

My dad used to keep the snails away from the leek with a "salt-path" too

slick
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
I remember when I was a child my parents had some good friends who used to come over for dinner alot. In fact, I used to call them Aunt and Uncle. Aunt Jessie used to say that her garden had loads of snails and slugs and she used to tease us kids by saying that she would go out in the middle of the night and pee on them in order to get rid of them. For years my brother and I believed her.

Hey, what the heck, it's worth a "shot" no??? :D :D

Randi
04-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Ha, it seems that they like beer... how about putting a couple of small bowls of that just OUTSIDE your garden! They'll all gather together there and have a party. ;)

We have some here called "killer" snails. :eek: Hope you get rid of them!!

RedHedd
04-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Only in California do we throw a party for snails and provide the beer!:D Well, let's see .... if she puts salt around the rim .... Margaritas anyone? :D

joycenalex
04-30-2007, 05:34 AM
extra salt on the chips? to go with the beer

Barbara
04-30-2007, 06:45 AM
You are the one who is into French culture- so why not serving them with garlic butter- but of course no beer: some white chardonnay might be right :p

Logan
04-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Sara, check out Gardens Alive, www.gardensalive.com and look for a product called Escar-Go. Gardens Alive sells environmentally responsible products, and I have used this particular product in the past to control slugs, but it works for snails, too. I think you would be safe with the cats.

Logan

RICHARD
04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ELICINA-CREMA-DE-CARACOL-SNAIL-CREAM-100-ORIGINAL_W0QQitemZ270115200421QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2 9618QQcmdZViewItem

Since I draw the line at Snail Margaritas (just thinking about the blender action makes me gag)......

Notice, no mention of snail snot.

ES,

If you still want me to be your gardener...we can harvest the snails and split the profit! :eek:

Cataholic
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
From a liability standpoint, you should prolly consider offering some food, too. I have never been comfortable providing JUST alcoholic beverages to my guests. Maybe some bread crumbs? Or, a saltine? Rice cakes?

Edwina's Secretary
04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Two days ago I "harvested" 39 of these sobs....and look at just this one spot...can you see 7 or 8 in this photo? I can!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pbc7bb1afdcd67738f425ddde63d6a4a3/e9b31672.jpg

Perhaps Cataholic....I should offer them some nice melted butter..... :mad:

Killearn Kitties
05-01-2007, 06:04 AM
That rose is gorgeous! I would want to hang out there too, if I were a snail.

Can't you introduce them to Eddie?

RICHARD
05-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Slugs or Snails?

Make a "wasp" trap out of a small plastic bottle. (Cut off the top part where it begins to curve; then invert it so it is a funnel ; then duct tape the edges.) Pour a little beer into the bottle and bury it so the edge is at ground level. You can also trap them by putting some dry cat food under or near a board; then physically remove them on a weekly basis. (They will be under the board to escape midday heat.) Get some lightning bugs; their larvae parasitize slugs. Slug bait is attractive to mice who after eating it desiccate and die, but, remember, slug bait is a registered pesticide poison, so we do not recommend its use.

-----------------------

There ya go!

jackie
05-27-2007, 06:23 AM
Grapefruit!

Click Here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/features/291feature2.shtml)

Hellow
05-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I think I am tolerant of creatures in my garden...but I draw the line at SNAILS....I do not like them. Every couple of days I "harvest" all the snails I can see...

Today I harvest 39....there was a 40th but too hard to reach....

any other ideas?

LOL Drunk Snails!

Laura's Babies
05-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Only on Pet Talk could a simple honest question turn into such a FUNNY thread! You guys have cracked me up!

(we use the salt thing in Virginia when I was growing up there)