PDA

View Full Version : white vinegar instead of fabric softener?

finn's mom
04-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Ever heard of this? We sell this natural fabric softener (for the dryer) at Sprouts (where I work) and a lady came through my line with it the other day. I asked her if she'd ever used it, and she said that it was the first time she'd bought it. I really want to get it, too, but it's about seventeen bucks or something, it's supposed to last "a lifetime." But, heck. Even if it lasted a year, that's still a great deal. I just can't do it right now. Anyway, she was saying she uses white vinegar as a fabric softener in her washer and her clothes are soft and don't smell like vinegar. She says she even imagines it helps keep her washer clean, unlike some liquid fabric softeners can gum up the machine a little bit. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else does this. I try to go as natural as possible with as many things as I can, so I'm all over this if it works. (Let's hope it does, though, because I just put it in my washer with my sheets!) :D

sirrahbed
04-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, I have used white vinegar as a fabric softener and it works well. The reason I seldom use it now is that I don't like the smell in the rinse water. The laundry room smells sour with it. The laundry does not smell though. Also, you need to use about a cup full for each load and that means lots of vinegar compared to just a few tablespoons of the commercial stuff. Another drawback is that adding to the rinse water takes more watching as opposed to throwing a softener sheet into the dryer. I like the smell of real fabric softener so that is what I use. Still, vinegar is a good way stay more natural I guess. It makes sense to use it with baby diapers and that is mostly what I used it for. :)

One thing I still use it for is mixed with water for cleaning glass. I have had the same windex bottle for so many years.

finn's mom
04-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Also, you need to use about a cup full for each load and that means lots of vinegar compared to just a few tablespoons of the commercial stuff. Another drawback is that adding to the rinse water takes more watching as opposed to throwing a softener sheet into the dryer. I like the smell of real fabric softener so that is what I use.

One thing I still use it for is mixed with water for cleaning glass. I have had the same windex bottle for so many years.

I use it for cleaning around the house, too! :) But, the girl I spoke with says she uses exactly the same amount of vinegar as she did liquid fabric softener (maybe that's why she didn't say anything about her room smelling, but I don't know for sure. I'm not big on scented detergents or softener sheets, but that's totally a personal preference. I prefer unscented everything, except for candles. :) And, the lady I spoke to uses softener in her wash and in the dryer. hahaha, super soft, I guess. :)

Thanks for the input, though!

Freedom
04-20-2007, 06:06 PM
The Frugal Wonder came up when I did a google search.

http://frugalliving.about.com/cs/cleaning/a/91200.htm

Also this site for "vinegar tips"

http://www.vinegarbook.co.uk/vinegar_tips_vinegar_for_laundry.shtml

And I am listing this one because it says rinsing with vinegar "will keep pet hair from clinging to clothes"

http://home.howstuffworks.com/uses-for-vinegar-doing-laundry-ga.htm

shais_mom
04-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I use it and Apple Cider Vinegar for Cleaning. I have a spray bottle of ACV and water and a spray bottle of Water mixed with Hydrogen peroxide to clean my kitchen counters.
I use either vinegar and baking soda in my toilet to help clean it (and Efferdent tablems).
I only use Bleach in my drains now b/c last year I had a large clog in my tub drain and I tried everything to get it out. I ended up buying this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5TALI/ref=nosim/?tag=dealtime-tools-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B000H5TALI&linkCode=asn and after reading several things that the worst thing to use is the commercial drain cleaners b/c they eat thru the pipes and to use bleach - I used bleach and that plunger and heard a large pop and I haven't had a problem since for over a year!
ACV is also a GREAT hair conditioner. I keep it in the spray bottle in the shower and after shampooing, I spray it in my hair and it really helps with itchy scalp.

XoSkittlezXo
04-21-2007, 01:23 PM
thats kool

Edwina's Secretary
04-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Here's what I use....Dryer balls (http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/06-0598) ...my mother told me about them and they are GREAT.Less expense, less chemicals

crow_noir
04-22-2007, 12:15 AM
I use it in my wash to soak out the mineral content. I just used it to CLEAN my clothes... But after the first time of letting it soak in my clothes for about 45 minutes I noticed how SOFT my cloths were and how some even felt almost brand new. (Like a fleece coat that was no longer soft at all and was very dirty looking. It was fluffy again and bright!)

I'd say all people that don't have one of those nice $2000 water filtratration systems should try it!

Ever heard of this? We sell this natural fabric softener (for the dryer) at Sprouts (where I work) and a lady came through my line with it the other day. I asked her if she'd ever used it, and she said that it was the first time she'd bought it. I really want to get it, too, but it's about seventeen bucks or something, it's supposed to last "a lifetime." But, heck. Even if it lasted a year, that's still a great deal. I just can't do it right now. Anyway, she was saying she uses white vinegar as a fabric softener in her washer and her clothes are soft and don't smell like vinegar. She says she even imagines it helps keep her washer clean, unlike some liquid fabric softeners can gum up the machine a little bit. Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else does this. I try to go as natural as possible with as many things as I can, so I'm all over this if it works. (Let's hope it does, though, because I just put it in my washer with my sheets!)

finn's mom
04-27-2007, 09:01 AM
ACV is also a GREAT hair conditioner. I keep it in the spray bottle in the shower and after shampooing, I spray it in my hair and it really helps with itchy scalp.

Really? Do you rinse it out or leave it in? I would imagine you rinse it... do you use it in conjunction with other conditioners, or is that all you use?

And, that thing about bleach is amazing...I try to go as natural and unoffensive as possible...but with drains, bleach is no more crappy for the environment or people than dran-o. I'll have to give that a shot!

finn's mom
04-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Here's what I use....Dryer balls (http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/06-0598) ...my mother told me about them and they are GREAT.Less expense, less chemicals

Yeah, that's what the lady in my line was buying for her dryer. I want to get them eventually, but I still like the idea of using something in the wash, too. It's nice to hear that they work, though! We sell them, like I said, but I hadn't heard any reviews!

shais_mom
04-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Really? Do you rinse it out or leave it in? I would imagine you rinse it... do you use it in conjunction with other conditioners, or is that all you use?

And, that thing about bleach is amazing...I try to go as natural and unoffensive as possible...but with drains, bleach is no more crappy for the environment or people than dran-o. I'll have to give that a shot!
nope don't rinse it - the smell goes away in about 10 minutes.
:)