PDA

View Full Version : Pet food contamination possibly intentional!

Lady's Human
04-20-2007, 11:55 AM
If true, someone should go to jail for a long, long time.

The ingredients may have been spiked with melamine to boost their apparent protein content. :mad:

Pet Food May Have Been Intentionally Tainted
By ANDREW BRIDGES
AP
WASHINGTON (April 20) - Imported ingredients used in recalled pet food may have been intentionally spiked with an industrial chemical to boost their apparent protein content, federal officials said Thursday.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/pet-food-may-have-been-intentionally/20070412155809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

lvpets2002
04-20-2007, 11:59 AM
:mad: Ggrrrr That is just so horrible.. However I was wondering if that could be the case.. SickOOSS..

Jadapit
04-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I had read that somewhere also. I've been reading about the dog and cat foods a lot this week my head is spinning. This whole thing is so scary and way out of control. I agree, the person or persons that might have done that should go to jail for a very long time. :mad: What a sad world we live in these days its all about the all mighty dollar anymore....

Lizzie
04-20-2007, 12:03 PM
I just posted this in Cats General, Royal Canin recall thread. It's from the VetPet Digest:

"I've looked on the various international commodity trading sites and it is
very clear that the price of wheat, rice and corn protein is directly
related to the protein content. Further, it appears that this is the only
thing that differentiates 'feed' from 'human' grade. In the case of wheat
gluten, supplies advertised as 'human' grade had a protein content of 80% or
higher while 'feed' grade offers or requests were all below 80%.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that these products have been spiked
with melamine to increase the nitrogen and hence protein content.

Having spent 30 years working with various non-Japanese Asian suppliers in
the electronics industry, I think it highly likely that these same suppliers
will find something else to spike their products with once they know that
they will be tested for melamine. They will dump their existing supplies in
places like Thailand and Brazil or anywhere else where they can be
reasonably sure they won't be tested.

There is basically nothing the U.S. buyers or government can do about this.
Test for melamine, they'll use something else.

If we ban a company, it will simply close down and reappear minutes later
under a new name.

Or, they will set up a front company in some place like Pakistan to sell the
product, although it will still be shipped from China complete with
documentation showing it originated in Pakistan.

There is a report today that the Chinese government won't provide visas for
FDA inspectors to visit these suppliers."

AbbyMom
04-20-2007, 12:49 PM
This is so awful. You know the human food/pet food business is not going to stop buying less expensive ingredients from overseas. They're addicted to the low cost and they have to compete to stay in business.

The only way to guarantee safe food for our pets and ourselves is for the manufacturers to test every shipment and you know they won't do that.

Time to rethink the homemade cat food strategy.

dukedogsmom
04-20-2007, 01:09 PM
I've been saying all along it was intentional

dukedogsmom
04-20-2007, 01:12 PM
I've been saying all along it was intentional :mad: I'm kind of scared to keep feeding the big names now. Don't know what to do, really. I've been using Pro Plan Senior dry.

smokey the elder
04-20-2007, 02:53 PM
There may be ways of testing which aren't too expensive, which will tell genuine protein from other nitrogen-containing materials. I would be willing to pay a little extra for them to put near infrared or Raman (the two tests that would be most effective) to look at each shipment of product.

Daisy and Delilah
04-20-2007, 03:21 PM
I think we'll find out alot more about this situation being not so accidental before it's over. If this grain has been fed to animals that have been slaughtered for food, our human food supply is contaminated as well. I wonder if anything any of us eat is safe now.

In the beginning, I thought of terrorists doing this somehow. Am I crazy to think this could be true or is it all just for the money? :(

Ginger's Mom
04-20-2007, 03:40 PM
I have a question. Is it being implied that it was intentionally added by the grain supply companies to make the grain seem "richer?" Or is it being implied that the dog food companies used grains they knew were "supplemented" to make the dog food appear to have more protein. I have heard it said in such a way I am not sure who is accusing who of what anymore. Of course whichever way, we would have to assume that the companies were unaware of the possible side effects. (?)

Laura's Babies
04-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Then they need to change the laws that ONLY ingredients grown in our own country be used for us and our pets consumption... They know we will pay for a safer product so why would that be a problem?

lizbud
04-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Then they need to change the laws that ONLY ingredients grown in our own country be used for us and our pets consumption... They know we will pay for a safer product so why would that be a problem?

I think this is a great idea for the pet food industry to adopt. We place
our trust in their companies.

I agree it was probably done intentionaly but probably not done with
malice. Big bucks $$$$$ was probably the motivation.

Lizzie
04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
A pig farm in California has been quarantined because the farmer fed his pigs the recalled pet food and the urine samples from pigs show traces of melamine. Apparently, this farm only produces pigs to be killed for individuals, so not a mass-production enterprise.

RICHARD
04-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Dick Van Patten owns a pet food store here in my town - he's had to recall the brands of food he sells......

this is madness.

Zippy
04-21-2007, 10:43 AM
this is madness.

I couldn't agree more.I have been throw 3 brands of cat food(nutro,natural balance,and blue Buffalo)sense the recall.

zoey
04-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I really don't like to watch news very often, but i have to admit that when i heard it was done on purpose. i broke down crying and had to call my mom.
All the beautiful creatures becoming ill for such an evil act. there are no words.

the only thing these corporate giants understand it class action lawsuit. Remember Erin Brockovich. ahem. :mad:

Chica
04-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh My God!!!!! I Bet This Has Been Going On For Several Years. It Just Wasn't Announced To The Public Until Now!!!!! The Companies Just Want To Make Money!!!!!! What A Bunch Of Murderers!!!!!

Roxyluvsme13
04-21-2007, 05:16 PM
WHAT? This was intentional? Somebody needs to be sued or something. I hope they feel bad for killing all these poor helpless pets.

DrKym
04-21-2007, 06:02 PM
I feel awful for all of this but it really isn't news. It has been going on for a long time, hence raw feeding since the 70s. I dont buy prepackaged foods for my family, why would I do it for my animals? No Offense meant simply my thoughts.

Convienence and price are not the only things to consider when taking care of those we love. However we are a country and a group that relies on both. The companies know this and appeal to it, and we buy in droves. Does raw mean safe? No not always, but it does mean safer. What are we going to do when it hits that this is also in human foods? How many lives will be devastated then?

What are we going to do when flour is being recalled? or Bread? or the local pizzaria stops making pizza due to the recalls?
It isn't so farfetched.

smokey the elder
04-23-2007, 09:53 AM
I googled melamine and the molecule gives off ammonia when it breaks down, which is what makes it toxic. The amine groups are what fools the test to think it's protein. The thing is, they wouldn't have to spike very much in to really boost the apparent protein level. This reinforces the "greed factor". I think this junk has been spiked in for a long time, but at subtoxic levels. There are relatively cheap on-line tests which can detect melemine because it has kind of a "special" structure.