PDA

View Full Version : I Had Read About It, Now I've Seen It....

Edwina's Secretary
04-18-2007, 06:15 PM
I am on a business trip in Puerto Rico....up in the mountains...well outside of San Juan and the tourist area.

The people I am working with, and the people I have met, could not be more gracious, more kind, more intelligent.

But...oh my the dogs....my heart is breaking to see the dogs. I will not describe what I have seen.

But I will ask (and promise for my own part)...if you have an opportunity to contribute or help in any way with the over-population of feral dogs in Puerto Rico...please help. There are so many.

Lobodeb
04-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Did you happen to venture into Old San Juan? There are just as many feral cats there. :( Or did you pass by the large cock fighting arena? :mad:

Puerto Rico is beautiful, but they certainly need some education on the treatment of animals.

lizbud
04-18-2007, 07:03 PM
This is a very good group that has been around for a long time.

http://www.saveasato.org/

Anything that would help not only to rescue these poor animals but to
bring attention to the problem with education for the people of Puerto Rico
would certainly be helpful & needed.Thank you for seeing the problem and
trying to help.

Killearn Kitties
04-18-2007, 07:33 PM
:( I have never been to Puerto Rico, but it always upsets me when I am travelling to see the amount of cats and sometimes dogs too, that live on the streets. I always try to help where I can.

chrissycat21
04-18-2007, 08:50 PM
I went to Puerto Rico over spring break this year, and I was also shocked by the number of stray animals. My family and I stayed in Luquillo, and just outside the condo there were so many dogs and cats. I think there were four cats that lived around the condo (that I saw) and many more dogs. :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pe4744d768590b2188be56b283b689b78/ea071a1f.jpg
We found that sweet guy running around the rain forest. Thankfully, he had an owner. I think his owner worked at one of the shops up the road a bit from there. The dog was hanging around some of the workers (one was friends with his owner).

I will definitely be checking out that website. I felt so bad while I was there because it seemed like there was nothing I could do to help. Hopefully more people will find out about the situation and we will be able to change things for the better.

Taz_Zoee
04-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Yes, we went to Puerto Rico a few years ago and there were MANY dogs and cats roaming the streets. It is very sad. :(

I also saw many dogs roaming when we went to Mazatlan last year.

I will also check out that site lizbud posted.

Randi
04-19-2007, 08:41 AM
I imagine that Puerto Rico is much like Dominican Republic.... Yes, it is horrible to see the poverty there. :( In such poor countries, there tend to be lots of stray dogs and cats. It seems most people have a completely different view on animals, but then, they can hardly feed themselves, so....

I'm glad there are organisations that do their best to help - spaying and neutering is a big step of the way.

When I see the way some of the stinking rich people spend their money, I'm disgusted! :mad: