PDA

View Full Version : behavioral books

cfuh
07-08-2002, 01:19 PM
Can anyone recommend some books dealing with two puppies living in a house? I just want to understand what my puppies are doing? Thanks!!! :)

Dixieland Dancer
07-08-2002, 03:11 PM
What are your puppies doing that you want to know about? Are they littermates? How old are they?

cfuh
07-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
What are your puppies doing that you want to know about? Are they littermates? How old are they?

Sammie is a 6mos chow/corgi
Maggie is a 4mos lab mix

They play together but the play usually turns aggressive (showing of teeth, growling, more biting, etc.) and I would like to know if I need to do anything (i.e., let them go, stop them, pull them apart, etc.) I also want to make sure they don't get too possessive with their things; for ex. Sammie growls at Maggie when she goes near her rawhides; Sammie also steals Maggie's bone. I guess I just want to make sure I bring them up right.

mugsy
07-08-2002, 04:39 PM
It sounds like Sammie is trying to be alpha pooch! There are oodles of books out there. I always like the "for Dummies" books myself, because they are straight and to the point.

How long have the 2 of them been together?? Usually a stern "TOO ROUGH" gets ours to stop and then they are fine.

Good luck and keep us updated.

KYS
07-08-2002, 06:20 PM
Another good book is:
The Dog's Mind, by Bruce Fogle, D.V.M.

cfuh
07-08-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
It sounds like Sammie is trying to be alpha pooch! There are oodles of books out there. I always like the "for Dummies" books myself, because they are straight and to the point.

How long have the 2 of them been together?? Usually a stern "TOO ROUGH" gets ours to stop and then they are fine.

Good luck and keep us updated.

I've had Sammie since Feb '02 and Maggie since June '02 so we all haven't been together that long. I just want to get started on the right foot. Thanks for the info!!! :) :)

Dixieland Dancer
07-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Sammi is just trying to show he is alpha as Mugsy said. Let them work it out as long as it doesn't get bloody. They will settle into a comfortable arrangement if you let them work it out.

Another thing you can do to help this along is to reinforce Sammi as the alpha. Once he is secure in your acceptance he will settle down. This means pet him first, feed him first, let him go outside first, etc... He needs to be first in everything! This goes against all your instincts probably to shelter and coddle the less dominant but if you do, you will be asking for more problems in the future.

lovemymaltese
07-09-2002, 12:19 PM
Oh I bet those pups are cuties, do you have any pictures to post? I don't have any information about behavorial books, but the net is a great place to start.