PDA

View Full Version : Questions you were afraid to ask...write them down

slick
04-08-2007, 11:02 PM
When using tin foil does the shiny side go up or down? What's the difference between the shiny side and the dull side?

Cinder & Smoke
04-08-2007, 11:34 PM
When using tin foil does the shiny side go up or down?
What's the difference between the shiny side and the dull side?

Durned if I know! :confused:

But Mr. Google found out ...
http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchens/en/faq_detail.asp?info_page_id=743&prod_id=1789&cat_id=1337

Which side of Reynolds Wrap® Aluminum Foil should I use, the shiny or the dull side?
Actually, it makes no difference which side of the aluminum foil you use—both sides do the same fine job of cooking, freezing and storing food. The difference in appearance between dull and shiny is due to the foil manufacturing process. In the final rolling step, two layers of foil are passed through the rolling mill at the same time. The side coming in contact with the mill's highly polished steel rollers becomes shiny. The other side, not coming in contact with the heavy rollers, comes out with a dull or matte finish.

The exception is when using Reynolds Wrap® Release® Non-Stick Aluminum Foil. The non-stick coating is applied during manufacturing to the dull side of the foil. Always place the non-stick (dull) side toward the food.

Which is better for freezing, aluminum foil or plastic?
Aluminum foil has the lowest moisture-vapor transfer rate of all wrapping materials. This means that it is the most effective in preventing the loss of moisture and vapor from the food. This is the reason why foil is preferred over plastic wrap for long-term food storage or freezing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Good thing God invented the 'puter ...
or I'd never be able to boil water & cook Mac 'n Cheese!
:p

Catty1
04-08-2007, 11:44 PM
What's the difference between the shiny side and the dull side?

One side is shiny, and the other is not.... :p

cmayer31
04-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Can you safely microwave leftovers in styrofoam containers, or do you have to put them on a plate first?

Cinder & Smoke
04-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Can you safely microwave leftovers in styrofoam containers ... ?

http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif
I guess I should be dead thanks to my nuke-it box! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Found this (and several other sites singing the same song) >>>

"In general, some plastics are reported safe for use in microwave cooking. If you use plastics in the microwave, identify the plastic and look for an indication that the particular container is microwave-safe. Do not use plastics which you have not identified and Do not use plastics which are not identified as "microwave-safe".
If it doesn't clearly say "microwave-safe", it probably isn't...

NSF, which certifies food-safe items, states:

Only use cookware that is specially manufactured for use in the microwave oven. Glass, ceramic containers, and all plastics should be labeled for microwave oven use.
Never use plastic storage containers such as margarine tubs, take-out containers, whipped topping bowls, and other one-time use containers for cooking or reheating food in your microwave. These containers are not heat resistant and can melt, possibly leaching harmful chemicals into your food."
This page copyright 2006, Stan Protigal
I've been nukin margarine tubs for YEARS!
Page Citation >>>
http://www.scn.org/~bk269/plastics.html

http://www.scn.org/~bk269/resin-logo_06.gifType 6 - Polystyrene, styrene, polystyrene foam
Not heat stable. Do not use in microwave. Do not microwave food in a styrofoam container! In addition to not being heat stable, polystyrene is a potential human carcinogen and usually contains bisphenol A.

moosmom
04-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks Fire Marshall Phred!!! ;)

Freedom
04-09-2007, 08:21 AM
After having a styrofoam container MELT in my microwave, I never put it in again. Bad enough the food was ruined; so was the microwave almost! What a messy clean up. Ugh. Never again.

Randi
04-09-2007, 08:47 AM
If I do wrap food in foil, I always have the dull side inside, but I normally use "smoerrebroeds paper" for my lunch. ;)

I can do without a microwave, but I'd like a grill in my oven!

Kiaxx3
04-09-2007, 09:09 AM
wow i never noticed tin foil had two sides hahah.. :)

Cincy'sMom
04-09-2007, 09:14 AM
I guess I should be dead thanks to my nuke-it box! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

Found this (and several other sites singing the same song) >>>

"In general, some plastics are reported safe for use in microwave cooking. If you use plastics in the microwave, identify the plastic and look for an indication that the particular container is microwave-safe. Do not use plastics which you have not identified and Do not use plastics which are not identified as "microwave-safe".
If it doesn't clearly say "microwave-safe", it probably isn't...

NSF, which certifies food-safe items, states:

Only use cookware that is specially manufactured for use in the microwave oven. Glass, ceramic containers, and all plastics should be labeled for microwave oven use.
Never use plastic storage containers such as margarine tubs, take-out containers, whipped topping bowls, and other one-time use containers for cooking or reheating food in your microwave. These containers are not heat resistant and can melt, possibly leaching harmful chemicals into your food."
This page copyright 2006, Stan Protigal
I've been nukin margarine tubs for YEARS!
Page Citation >>>
http://www.scn.org/~bk269/plastics.html

http://www.scn.org/~bk269/resin-logo_06.gifType 6 - Polystyrene, styrene, polystyrene foam
Not heat stable. Do not use in microwave. Do not microwave food in a styrofoam container! In addition to not being heat stable, polystyrene is a potential human carcinogen and usually contains bisphenol A.

This is a huge part of what my job is!! Not for food containers, but for medical devices. We are constantently evaluting tubing, and stoppers, and containers, etc. to make sure the amount of plastic additives is minimal even when exposed to high temperatures, or aggressive chemicals. I would personally recommend avoiding plastic in the microwave when you can.

On a side note, based on toxicology data, a 150lb (70kg) person would have to consume 300-700 grams ( 1 to 1.5 lbs) of Bisphenol A before you have serious issues. Microwaving a few times, isn't going to hurt you!!!

slick
04-09-2007, 10:23 AM
If I'm heating leftovers at work for lunch, I always nuke them in a plastic container and even eat out of the plastic container. Nuked foods at home go on a plate first. Hmmmmm, come to think of it, maybe that's where I got my cancer from??? :confused:

One more question about recycling....
I'm looking for a website that lists the numbers and what falls under that category. For example:
#1-glass
#2-XXXXXX
etc.

Milk cartons....what number are they??? :confused:

Cinder & Smoke
04-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I would personally recommend avoiding plastic in the microwave when you can.

:eek: NOW she tells me!
:rolleyes:

... a person would have to consume 300-700 grams ( 1 to 1.5 lbs) of Bisphenol A
before you have serious issues ...

I wouldn't recognise a TruckLoad of "Bisphenol A" if it was dumped on my kitchen floor!

Life is getting Soooo complicated!
;)

cyber-sibes
04-09-2007, 10:57 AM
On a side note, based on toxicology data, a 150lb (70kg) person would have to consume 300-700 grams ( 1 to 1.5 lbs) of Bisphenol A before you have serious issues. Microwaving a few times, isn't going to hurt you!!!Phew! For a minute there I thought I was going to have to add "death by microwaved containers" to my list of things I worry about! Now I'll move it to my list of things I don't neccessarily have to worry about but do anyway!

Dorothy39
04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Yeah, It seems now days, there's something out there that's going to get Ya!!!!

LOOK OUT!!!! :eek:

( Life isn't as simple as it used to be :D )

" Quote from The Graduate" starring Dustin Hoffman~ :D

The future is in "PLASTICS" :cool:

Karen
04-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Only plastics get numbers - I think of milk CARTONs as the paper ones. But every plastic container should be marked with a little number.

lvpets2002
04-09-2007, 11:50 AM
:) Oh now this makes me feel all good.. So for Lunch when I take my burrito out of the foil to put in a plastic container for the Microwave is a NoNo :p :D
For real the shinny side of foil is to go on the pan side & the dull side is next to the food.. Reason is the shinny side reflects the heat of the oven or grill the best.. Well thats my story & I am sticking to it.. :o

Cinder & Smoke
04-09-2007, 12:11 PM
For real the shinny side of foil is to go on the pan side & the dull side is next to the food ...
Reason is the shinny side reflects the heat of the oven or grill the best.

Not so sure that's "scientifically correct"!
"Heat" is thermal energy that is conducted or passes through the foil -
the heat energy isn't impressed much with the shiny vrs. dull side.
And you wouldn't want to "reflect" your heat away from the food; you want it
to "pass through" the foil to the food.

Now if you're cooking with SUN light - you don't want to "reflect" it away ...
so you'd want the dull side out. (And a thick book to read while waiting!)

As the Alcoa folks said - doesn't much matter WHICH way you wrap with foil.
;)

Cincy'sMom
04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
:) Oh now this makes me feel all good.. So for Lunch when I take my burrito out of the foil to put in a plastic container for the Microwave is a NoNo :p :D

There are plastics that have less additives then others, and these are marked as microwave safe.

lvpets2002
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
:) I can tell your a fireman.. ;) All I know is that I dont want my food to be running away before I can eat it.. :p tomato tomoto = potato patoto :D
Not so sure that's "scientifically correct"!
"Heat" is thermal energy that is conducted or passes through the foil -
the heat energy isn't impressed much with the shiny vrs. dull side.
And you wouldn't want to "reflect" your heat away from the food; you want it
to "pass through" the foil to the food.

Now if you're cooking with SUN light - you don't want to "reflect" it away ...
so you'd want the dull side out. (And a thick book to read while waiting!)

As the Alcoa folks said - doesn't much matter WHICH way you wrap with foil.
;)

cassiesmom
04-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Things that come on a roll ... toilet tissue, paper towels ... What direction is it supposed to unroll? Do I install the new roll with the end facing the wall (so it unrolls from underneath the roller), or facing the room (so it unrolls over the top)?

cali
04-09-2007, 08:28 PM
and here I always put the shiny side up because it looks prettier lol

Roxyluvsme13
04-09-2007, 08:48 PM
and here I always put the shiny side up because it looks prettier lol
I do that, too. :o

Cinder & Smoke
04-09-2007, 10:03 PM
What direction is it supposed to unroll?

Do I install the new roll with the end facing the wall
(so it unrolls from underneath the roller),

or facing the room (so it unrolls over the top)?

:D
As a Kitten, Boots, da Kat, much preferred the Over the Top / Facing Out mounting ...
Soooo much easier to spool off an ENTIRE roll onto the floor that way!
:eek:
:mad:

K9karen
04-09-2007, 10:36 PM
As a Kitten, Boots, da Kat, much preferred the Over the Top / Facing Out mounting ...

LOL! Agreed!

dukedogsmom
04-09-2007, 11:04 PM
Too funny! Doogie only did that one time, thank goodness. And it was in shreds, too.

smokey the elder
04-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Styrofoam does not contain bisphenol A. This is the monomer used in polycarbonate, aka "Lexan". BPA can leach out of Lexan, and that is of some concern.

Lemon will "melt" (dissolve) styrofoam!

Here endeth today's chemistry lesson. :p ;)

cassiesmom
04-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Does a home fire extinguisher ever lose its effectiveness? I received a fire extinguisher 10 years ago as a housewarming gift. I thought that was a great idea and placed it in the kitchen closet. I just replaced my smoke detector because there is a new law in my town that requires carbon monoxide detectors in each residence. So, I bought a combination smoke and CO unit. Solved two problems at once, I wasn't sure how long ago the previous owner put up that smoke detector - and, I needed a CO detector anyway. But there's still a fire extinguisher in my closet that's not getting any newer. I can't find any sort of expiration date on the package.

Randi
04-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Ahh, fire extinguisher....I know a little bit about that, as I asked Phred the same question a few years ago. ;)

The one you have weighs so much when it's new, and after all these years, it's supposed to weigh the same to be effective, more or less.

I'm sure Phred will explain this much better and in detail though.

I've had mine for at last 15 years, and I doubt I could lift it up very high if it was neccesary.

Stay safe! :)

Miss Z
04-10-2007, 05:13 PM
When using tin foil does the shiny side go up or down? What's the difference between the shiny side and the dull side?

I always thought that the shiny side was so because it kept in heat radiation, but then again, I was never any good at physics! :p

Cinder & Smoke
04-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Does a home fire extinguisher ever lose its effectiveness?

... there's still a fire extinguisher in my closet that's not getting any newer.

They do need to be "inspected".

Consider a typical home or vehicle 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 pound Dry Chemical extinguisher
that carries an "ABC" or "Flammable Liquids" label and has a small GAUGE >>>
These need to be "inspected" frequently to be sure the gauge indicates "FULL" and
that there's nothing blocking the discharge nozzle.
Then pick the extinguisher UP and *SHAKE* it - to unpack the dry chemical and
insure that it will flow out the nozzle when needed.

You can do these "inspections" yourself ... for 12 YEARS.

After the 12th Year of the extinguisher's "life" - it gets a lil "dicey"!
The US Dept of Transportation rules state that all stored pressure Dry Chemical
extinguishers MUST be "Hydrostatically Tested" by a certified tester Every 12 Years.
ALL Extinguishers are "dated" with the month/year they were assembled.
THAT date starts the 12 year clock - not when you purchased it.

For small home sized extinguishers, it's a LOT cheaper to go to WalMart, Sears, or your
favorite Hardware store and buy a barnd NEW one than pay a fire extinguisher service center
to empty, hydro test, dry, and refill your old one!

What to DO with the OLD one?
Call your local Fire Station and ask if you can come by some day for a quick class ...
Tell 'em "I'll bring my old extinguisher to use, just need you guys to build a fire and
show me how to use it." (We LIKE building fires! :D )
After you use it - toss it in the dumpster.

Be Safe!
/s/ Phred

DrKym
04-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Never thought of that! thank you Phred! I will be calling in the morning, ours have traveled 3 states with us, and now I will learn to use it effectively and buy new ones!!

May I never need it but if I do, I will be thanking you for the advice of how to use one properly!

cyber-sibes
04-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Does a home fire extinguisher ever lose its effectiveness? Now this is is exactly the question I was asking myself yesterday as I dashed from the house to the garage to grab the fire extinguisher my husband bought me 8 years ago.... thank God it worked, although it took me a few minutes to figure it out (that's when I dialed 911 & got the real fire guys on their way to my house.

And just why did I need the Fire guys & an extinguisher, you might be asking? :rolleyes:

I accidently turned the wrong burner on my brand-new stove to heat water ...when I came back 10 minutes later, I saw foot-high flames, & black smoke pouring into the kitchen. I shoved everything else off the counter onto the floor and slammed a wok over the whole mess, then ran to get the extinguisher, realizing that I had no idea how to use it. It seemed stuck. I grabbed the phone & dialed 911. While talking to the 911 operator, I finally got it to work, and by the time the fire guys showed, the blaze was out. They used huge fans to blow the house clear, and checked all the wiring on my (brand new) stove. All that was left was my melted acrylic salt shaker, now looking like the snowball from hell, firmly attached to the (brand new) stovetop.
I was amazed at how quicky the dry chemical extinguisher put out the fire. I have spent the past 24 hours trying to clean the fine veil of powder covering everything in the house. (which just went up for sale last week), and picking bits of plastic off the (brand new) stovetop. The stove is fine, just need a new drip pan.

It was a rough day. I'm so glad 8-yr old fire extinguishers still work, it could have been so much worse.

I really had no intention to confess all this on PT, but it seems so appropriate at this moment.

show me how to use it." Be Safe!
/s/ Phred
That is such good advice, Phred, I found out when I needed it, I was clueless as to how to use it.

Cinder & Smoke
04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
"Does a home fire extinguisher ever lose its effectiveness?"

Now this is is exactly the question I was asking myself yesterday as I dashed from the house to the garage to grab the fire extinguisher my husband bought me 8 years ago.... thank God it worked ...

And just why did I need the Fire guys & an extinguisher, you might be asking? :rolleyes:

... when I came back 10 minutes later, I saw foot-high flames, & black smoke pouring into the kitchen.

...slammed a wok over the whole mess, then ran to get the extinguisher,
realizing that I had no idea how to use it.
It seemed stuck.

I grabbed the phone & dialed 911.

While talking to the 911 operator, I finally got it to work,
and by the time the fire guys showed, the blaze was out. :)

I was amazed at how quicky the dry chemical extinguisher put out the fire.
I found out when I needed it, I was clueless as to how to use it.

WOW! ~~~ *Yee-Haw!*

Good on ya! ... Way to GO, Pat!! :D

You probably *saved* your house! Stove fires rapidly become kitchen cabinet fires!

Now a few suggestions in case you decide to do it again ...

1) FIRST step is to do the 9-1-1 thing - BEFORE you play Freida Firefighter yourself!
Get the Gang with the BRTs (Big Red Trucks) on the way FIRST ... then do your own thing!

2) Consider storing the extinguisher near where you might need it!
Kitchen - good place is on the inside of a low-level cabinet door - CLOSE to
the exit doorway
out of the kitchen. You want to have the extinguisher between the fire
and the exit -
so you can get to the exit without having to pass the fire!
"Out in the garage" is a lil bit further than I'd suggest for the "kitchen" extinguisher!

And - have we called the Fire Guys yet, on 9-1-1 ?

Lastly - and do it NOW ...
* Go FIND your extinguisher
* READ the Instructions - they're ALWAYS printed on the label!
* Give it a lil *SHAKE* to keep the dry chemical inside "loose"
* CHECK the Gauge to be sure it reads "FULL"
* HANG it UP in it's bracket - so you know where it is

HOPEFULLY, you won't need to play Freida Firefighter - but if you do ...
You'll be ready to do a Good Job like Pat did!

lbaker
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
FARFIGHTER, LIFE - MEYBEY, SAVER - PHRED, you are THE MAN, my goodness we love yuou :cool:

Roxyluvsme13
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM
We don't even have a fire extinguisher. :eek:

slick
04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
My kitchen fire extinguisher is about 9 years old and there is a way of checking it by pressing this little red button on top.

Still.....I could call my local FD and go down there anyway. I could use some eye candy to look at......even compare them with the LA team. ;) :D "Do I hold it like this Mr. Firefighter????"

Cybes, I can only imagine how scary this must have been. I'm not sure I would be as composed as you say you were. Lucky you.

Phred, thanks for all the advice. Yea, YOU DA MAN BABY!!!

DrKym
04-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Wow Pat, thank heavens everyone is alright! How frightening!
I was telling Jasper and my kids about me calling tomorrow and much to my surprise.........My son has learned (now his mom needs to) how to use a home extinguisher!

The FD here works with the schools to teach not just stop drop and roll, but because so many kids are latchkey, to also diall 911 and to use a extinguishers correctly! :eek:

Still calling tomorrow so tht all of us know how!

cyber-sibes
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
1) FIRST step is to do the 9-1-1 thing - BEFORE you play Freida Firefighter yourself!Get the Gang with the BRTs (Big Red Trucks) on the way FIRST ... then do your own thing!
2) Consider storing the extinguisher near where you might need it!:DYup, as it turned out, I ran right past the extinguisher hanging on the back of the cabinet in the hallway right next to the kitchen, duh. And you're right, I should have called 911 FIRST. (Thanks for your "live" advice too, Phred, it was very thoughtful of you to call. I appreciate it. Will follow through tomorrow. ;))

cassiesmom
04-10-2007, 09:26 PM
They do need to be "inspected".

Consider a typical home or vehicle 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 pound Dry Chemical extinguisher
that carries an "ABC" or "Flammable Liquids" label and has a small GAUGE >>>
These need to be "inspected" frequently to be sure the gauge indicates "FULL" and
that there's nothing blocking the discharge nozzle.
Then pick the extinguisher UP and *SHAKE* it - to unpack the dry chemical and
insure that it will flow out the nozzle when needed.

You can do these "inspections" yourself ... for 12 YEARS.

After the 12th Year of the extinguisher's "life" - it gets a lil "dicey"!
The US Dept of Transportation rules state that all stored pressure Dry Chemical extinguishers MUST be "Hydrostatically Tested" by a certified tester Every 12 Years.
ALL Extinguishers are "dated" with the month/year they were assembled.
THAT date starts the 12 year clock - not when you purchased it.

For small home sized extinguishers, it's a LOT cheaper to go to WalMart, Sears, or your favorite Hardware store and buy a barnd NEW one than pay a fire extinguisher service center to empty, hydro test, dry, and refill your old one!

What to DO with the OLD one?
Call your local Fire Station and ask if you can come by some day for a quick class ...
Tell 'em "I'll bring my old extinguisher to use, just need you guys to build a fire and show me how to use it." (We LIKE building fires! :D )
After you use it - toss it in the dumpster.

Be Safe!
/s/ Phred

Thank you, Phred. You're awesome. When I was a nursing assistant, the fire department came with fire extinguishers and we got to actually put out a fire they started in the parking lot. When I was a hospital nurse, we had mandatory fire safety training regularly, so I felt more comfortable dealing with a fire extinguisher. Now - I work in an office, so I don't worry quite as much since I wouldn't have to move people in wheelchairs in an emergency.

Cinder & Smoke
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
... so I felt more comfortable dealing with a fire extinguisher.

Now - I work in an office, so I don't worry quite as much ...

Don't let your guard down ...
a "modern" office, with it's typical content of paper and plastic,
can turn into a raging inferno in a matter of minutes! :eek:

It still pays to keep your fire extinguisher skills *sharp*.
And don't forget - an early 9-1-1 call gets the Fire Guys and their BRTs there
in time to save some stuff!
;)

BitsyNaceyDog
04-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Things that come on a roll ... toilet tissue, paper towels ... What direction is it supposed to unroll? Do I install the new roll with the end facing the wall (so it unrolls from underneath the roller), or facing the room (so it unrolls over the top)?
This is one of my biggest pet peeves! My toilet paper has to unroll over the top.

Ginger's Mom
04-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I really do appreciate your advise on the fire extinquisher, Phred. I bought a small fire extinquisher when I bought own place eight years ago, and I keep it in the laundry room/pantry just off the kitchen. But I must admit that I have not looked at it since I bought it. Guess I need to do that. But I glad to hear that it may still have some life in it. I guess I figured they are only good for about five years. so 12 years sounds good.

Randi
04-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Phred, you're the best!! Thanks!! I went to have another look at my fire extinguiser, and here it is, full figure.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Diverse/brandslukker.jpg

A close up of the text. It actually says that it weighs 5,6 kg. to begin with. It also says that after 15 years, it should be control checked and tested for preassure - and should weigh min. 5,4 kg. Then checked again after another 5 years. It weighs 5,5 kg now, according to my weight. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Diverse/brandslukker-1.jpg

The top bit looks like this. I pull the little thing out connected to the chain and simply press the “tricker” and the foam - or whatever, will blast out on the opposite side.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Diverse/brandslukker-top-bit.jpg

I do wonder what will come out of it, but I could take it down in the yard and see. On the other side of it, it has:
A (wood, paper, textiles)
B (burnable liquids)
C (gasses)
and el installations

A is crossed out. Does that mean I shouldn't use it on those materials? I think John said it would be good on computers.

Killearn Kitties
04-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Oh oh! Putting my hand up. CO2 is for electrical fires!! I have one sitting beside me at work.

lbaker
04-11-2007, 12:40 PM
"putting my hand up".... KK you are too phuny :D

Cinder & Smoke
04-11-2007, 01:16 PM
I went to have another look at my fire extinguisher, and here it is >>>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Fister/Diverse/brandslukker-top-bit.jpg

Randi's extinguisher is a CO2 (Carbon Di-Oxide) type ( Note the "CO2" stamping
on the upper neck of the heavy cylinder.)
There is NO pressure gauge, and it has a rigid, large diameter discharge opening.

In the USA, these extinguishers are required have a formal Hydrostatic Test
every FIVE years - an expensive test!

I pull the little thing out connected to the chain and simply press the “tricker”
and the foam - or whatever, will blast out on the opposite side.

I do wonder what will come out of it, but I could take it down in the yard and see.

On the other side of it, it has:
A (wood, paper, textiles) **A is crossed out**
B (burnable liquids) (gasses)
C Electrical installations

A is crossed out. Does that mean I shouldn't use it on those materials?
I think John said it would be good on computers.

1) You shouldn't "TEST" any type of extinguisher by *Pulling its Pin* and then
operating the "tricker" (or trigger) to "see if anything comes out"!
ALL extinguishers are intended for a ONE-Time application of their contents on
a SINGLE fire event ... THEN they must be cleaned and refilled with fresh agent.
NO extinguisher can be relied upon to Properly RE-seal and maintain its internal
operating pressure after a "short burst" operation ... a "quick squeeze" to
"see if it works" can result in a completely DE-pressurized extinguisher a few days later! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

2) Randi's CO2 extinguisher discharges a COLD Gas - CO2 - that displaces the Oxygen
at the fire and cools the burning materials. Some say it looks like "snow".

3) The "crossed out A" means that the CO2 type extinguisher is NOT suitable
for use on "Class A" fires - fires in wood, paper and fabrics.
A CO2 extinguisher is used for Grease, Oil, and Gasoline (Class B) fires and fires
involving electrical equipment (Class C).

/s/ Phred

momoffuzzyfaces
04-11-2007, 01:40 PM
When you drop a piece of toast and jelly, why does it always land jelly side down? :( :D (specially on carpet?) ;)

Randi
04-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks Phred! I just keep learning more and more about this - I'll end up a real PRO! :D

I'm glad you told me I should not test it, I might have done. I had no idea it could be used only once.

It makes sense it looks like snow, as it says "sneslukker" on it. Sne=snow. So what comes out will be very cold I take it. Fister better not be around, or he'll freeze to death! :eek:

I suppose you could say my bed is made of fabrics, but that's obviously not what to use it on, although I would give it try if it was on fire. ;) I suppose John expected me to start a fire in the kitchen, or some of the electrical equipment.

Thanks for this important info, Phred! :)

MOFF! Because the heavy side will always land face down - so just don't put so much jelly on your toast! ;)

Cinder & Smoke
04-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm glad you told me I should not test it, I might have done that.
I had no idea it could be used only once.

It makes sense it looks like snow, as it says "sneslukker" on it. Sne=snow.
So what comes out will be very cold, I take it.

Cold? ... Yuppers, REAL COLD!

"Testing" an extinguisher can have several meanings ...
ALL extinguishers need to be examined / inspected frequently ... just NOT "operated".

CO2 Extinguishers (like Randi's) get routine "inspections" by being WEIGHED on
a very accurate scale and the weight compared to the marked Full Weight.
CO2 extinguishers have a very heavy container - the difference between the
full weight and the Totally Empty weight is not a big difference.

Most extinguishers CAN be used then cleaned & refilled MANY Times ...
BUT they need to be cleaned & refilled by an "Extinguisher Technician" after
EVERY use or whenever the "seal" is broken on the operating trigger or lever.

WHY?
Even a very short operation or discharge allows some of the dry chemical (powder) or
the CO2 GAS (and sometimes bits of ice) to contaminate the valve sealing surfaces ...
potentially allowing the internal pressure to leak off.

The recharge Technician must bleed off any remaining pressure, disassemble the valve,
and CLEAN it before reassembling the valve onto the extinguisher.
Usually a refilled unit is kept for observation for at least 24 hours -
even carefully cleaned valves can be "leakers"! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/frown.gif

An exception to the "can be cleaned & refilled MANY Times" theory ...
This is NOT true for the Super-Cheap discount store "specials" that usually
sell for $9.95 or so ... THOSE lil jems are made with plastic valves http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif that
have a hard time leaving the factory without leaking! Hardly ANY extinguisher
refillers will even look at one of those units - they ARE for One-Time use followed
by a trip to the trash can. Pay more than $25.00 and you may be buying a
brass-valved, honestly RE-fillable dry chemical extinguisher.

No matter how much you spend on extinguishers - they're WORTH every penny!
Consider Pat's (cyber-sibes) recent "experience" ...
ONE lil extinguisher *saved* her $150,000+ house - not counting the contents!
Really PAYS to buy a few, LEARN how to use 'em, and keep them inspected & serviced.

But, as always, Dial 9-1-1 FIRST, and invite us Fire Guys ...
we LIKE drivin our BRTs!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

cyber-sibes
04-11-2007, 04:52 PM
No matter how much you spend on extinguishers - they're WORTH every penny!
Consider Pat's (cyber-sibes) recent "experience" ...
ONE lil extinguisher *saved* her $150,000+ house - not counting the contents!
Really PAYS to buy a few, LEARN how to use 'em, and keep them inspected & serviced.

But, as always, Dial 9-1-1 FIRST, and invite us Fire Guys ...
we LIKE drivin our BRTs!
http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/biggrin.gifABSOLUTELY! I don't even want to think about how bad it could have been last Monday. And, thanks to your additional info, Phred, I'm putting in an insurance claim. The clean-up guys said the biggest problem was that all the smoke, soot, & dry chemicals are being "recycled" by the furnace, even though the fireguys blew out of the house. I never considered that the furnace ducts would have to be cleaned out. :( I now see the soot streaks on walls & ceilings, besides all the residue on all my furniture.
*I don't mean to be hijacking this thread* but this whole fire extinguisher thing is SO important. I might not even be here posting on PT if it weren't for that little 8-yr. old extinguisher we've been hauling around! Could have lost my computer, or worse.

Roxyluvsme13
04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
When you drop a piece of toast and jelly, why does it always land jelly side down? :( :D (specially on carpet?) ;)
The jelly side is heavier? :p

lvpets2002
04-12-2007, 08:20 AM
:p I thought it landed face down on carpet so you could have some fiber = Cat Hair.. :D That is if you are at my house.. ;)

Dorothy39
04-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Moff, all calculations have been tallied out,and, it's final!!! The jelly just makes the toast "heavy" on one side :p So, be careful from now on!!!! :D

ChrisH
04-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Phred, thank you so much for the fire extinguisher advice. I don't even have one, after reading I will make getting one high priority.

cassiesmom
04-13-2007, 10:14 AM

At my house, it's because the light colored kitchen floor is a magnet for anything, of any color, that has the potential to be dropped on it! Same thing with the carpet.

smokey the elder
04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
"The likelihood of toast landing jelly side down is proportional to the cost of the carpet."-unknown

momoffuzzyfaces
04-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Well, I've noticed bread/toast lands face down if it's just wearing butter too!!! I think my floor must be a magnet for gooy stuff! :eek: :D

slick
04-14-2007, 09:20 PM
I was out this morning doing all kinds of errands and when I got home I put my groceries away and settled down in front of the computer. It was about 3:15 and I was tired so I laid down for a nap. :o

I dreamt I was in my living room and it had a brick fireplace. The fire was roaring and it got a bit out of control. I opened up the balcony door but the smoke kept spreading even though the flames were contained within the fireplace. In my dream I said to myself "What would Phred do??? He said to call 911 first then tackle the fire..." I was dialing 911 when I woke up.

See Phred??? Your lessons are even embedded in my dreams....

Dorothy39
04-14-2007, 10:41 PM
So, I'm not the only person who has "Pet Talk Members" in their dreams~ :rolleyes: :D

Cinder & Smoke
04-15-2007, 12:02 AM
In my dream I said to myself "What would Phred do???
He said to call 911 first then tackle the fire..."

I was dialing 911 when I woke up.

Hope you got hung up before you finished the 9-1-1 ...

MANY places when you dial 9-1-1 you'd better have a crisis to expound upon ...
Telling the Call-Taker "The fire in my dream went out when I grabbed my extinguisher" ...
would be Guaranteed to be answered by the nearest Patrol Cop!

Around here, there's about 4 ways they respond to ALL 9-1-1 calls ...
* Send a Cop
* Send the Fire Guys
* Send a Medic
* Send a Cop - with a bad attitude and a Lecture on when NOT to dial 9-1-1!

You dial 9-1-1 and you're gonna SEE somebody ... there's NO Way to talk that
Call-Taker out of sending SOMEone to your house!
And the more far-out your lame excuse for dialing 9-1-1 is - the quicker they're
going to get there! http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif

And then there are the "timid" callers ...
Example:
<ring>
9-1-1 Dispatcher: 9-1-1; do you have a Police, Fire, or Medical EMERGENCY?
Caller: Hi, sorry to bother you.
Dispatcher: No bother - WHAT's your EMERGENCY, m'am?
Caller: Oh, I don't think it's an emergency ... is the Fire Dept "busy"?
Disp: We always have crews available - WHAT is your PROBLEM?
Caller: I hate to bother them ... but could they maybe stop by sometime and take a look?
Disp: (becoming just a bit *tense*) M'am, this is an EMERGENCY line - do you have an Emergency?
Caller: Well, I don't think so - but I'm not sure ... that's why I asked if the Firefighters
. . were busy ... I'd hate to bother them if they're busy ...
Disp: (now past her breaking point) M'am! TELL me WHAT's WRONG!!!
Caller: Well, I don't know if anything is "wrong" - that's whay I'd like to know if one of the Firefighters
could stop by and check to see if I do have a problem ... if they're not too busy ...

The actual call went on for anothe two or three cat 'n mouse exchanges between the
caller and the totally frustrated 9-1-1 Call Taker ...
who had "transferred" the live call to our Fire Dispatcher.

Between the two dispatchers, after they re-phrased "What's Wrong?" and "What do you
want them to *check*?" another two or three ways, this is what finally was offered ...

Caller: Well, when I opened my basement door to go down and start my laundry,
I saw something I've never seen in my basement ...
Disp: WHAT DID YOU SEE, m'am?
Caller: Well, I saw the Smoke! - Or, I think it might BE smoke ... it Smells like smoke! It's black ...

Our Fire Dispatcher was a bit shocked ... "Son of a BIT**!"
<Beep> - <Boop> -<Beep> - <Beep> - <Beep> ... Berlin Fire to your Station;
STRUCTURE FIRE; <Boop> -bEEp> - <Beep> - <Beep> - <Beep> ... Elsworth Fire mutual aid Berlin, Structure Fire ... no address available yet!

Caller: I just don't know what to do ... would they mind stopping by?

Fire Disp: They won't "mind" a bit m'am ... matter of fact, thery're ON Their WAY ...
now could you please tell me your ADDRESS?

She was STILL yammering with our Dispatcher when the first Engine pulled up!

We "checked it out" with 4 Engines, 2 Tankers, a Rescue, and a Medic Unit!
It wasn't a bad fire; but her oil furnace had malfunctioned and failed to light;
then pumped oil into the fire box and out into the furnace shell;
then did ignite ... http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/eek.gif bonfire in the furnace where it wasn't "supposed" to be burning!

She was STILL worried that she'd "bothered" us while I was writing the report.