PDA

View Full Version : A little help please?

anna_66
07-08-2002, 08:26 AM
Ok, we have our new Chow baby, Huney, and I'm not sure if there is anything we should be doing in particular.
What I mean is, like yesterday, Ashley was squirting the waterhose, now Huney never got wet, but the other dogs did, and for some reason this really freaked her out. We caught her trying to get under the fence once, and then a little later she succeded and went into the garage with Mark. Kinda like with the fireworks the other night, if it freaks her out, she tries to find another place to be.
And this, she still lays on her back submissively when you go to pet her, not all the time, but still quite alot. We have also noticed that if you put your foot towards her AT ALL, she will run. I'm guessing that she's been kicked alot?
I guess I'm just wondering if there's anything you have to do for dogs like this (one's that come from an abusive background, which obviouly she did). All we try to do is reassure her we love her and are not going to hurt her.
I know a few of you (Aly, Mugsy, Logan...) have (or work with) dogs that have abused, could you tell me if there is anything we can do besides what we've been doing?
Thanks Anna

pupper-lover
07-08-2002, 09:08 AM
My Addie was abused, too. We have gone through a lot of needlessly tramatic situations. She was so petrified of everything. The longer Huney has been with you, the more comfortable she should become.

Addie was petrified of every single movement anyone made, from turning the page of a magazine, to walking past her, to setting down a glass on the table, to water. Even abowl of food was scary. I, of course, wanted to protect her and hug her and make her feel safe, but I knew that making a fuss whenever she was upset, would ingrain the idea of these things being something to be afraid of. I was careful not to be overly-threatening, like carefully turning pages and quietly setting down a glass when she was nearby. By being exposed to normal activities, but not forced into anything, Addie learned that these things were normal and that no one was going to hurt her. Whenever, she was scared, I was calm. Seeing me calm and non-responsive helped her to relax.

Huney is still very new to your family, and I'm sure she is still figuring you all out, as you are with her. I'm sure she doesn't realize that the water doesn't hurt. Maybe for now, you should put her inside by the window. Someone can sit by her, as she watches the water happenings from a "safe" location. If she wants to run and hide, within the house, that she be her decision. In a few weeks, if she is ready and realizes the other dogs are not being hurt, bring her outside on a leash and far away from the activity.

As far as approaching Huney, I would try getting down on your knees and calling her to you. Your "decreased size" will be less threatening, plus she won't feel you are lunging towards her.

Huney will adjust with lots of patience and time. Never force her to do anything, unless she has to (like gong to the vet). When she is scared, be calm, but firm. Do not hug her and make a fuss, when she is scared. It may sound cruel, but the cuddling actually re-enforces the fear. She will learn by your example.

You have a real sweety there :D . I'm sure she loves and trusts you more than anyone else she has ever come across. It just takes time to heal. If her behavior does not improve, and you are worried, take her to a doggy behaviorist. There is always someone out there to help.

Dixieland Dancer
07-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Pupper lover has given some excellent advice. My addition would be that you should carefully try to gain her trust and teach her that not everyone is out to hurt her and show her all the love you can. It's the only way you can begin to heal her emotional wounds...and make her painful past merely a distant memory!

Things such as fireworks will be more difficult since they don't occur all the time but chances are she will be afraid of thunder and lightening storms also. Do as Pupper Lover said and don't coddle her but perhaps try to devert her attention to something she loves such as a toy or a game you know she loves to play with.

Interacting with Huney in a soothing, kind, patient manner can help maintain her calm. Since Huney shies from a particular object, in this case water, you might be able to counteract the situation. Introduce the object to her gradually--I like the idea of having her watch from inside the house. Have her watch there at least once daily or every other day for awhile. Reward her with affection or a treat when she doesn't run from it. After she is comfortable in this scenario, introduce her to the water element outside the house. Just do it slowly. You must realize though that what you are hoping for is for her not to run when the water is on. She may never love to play in it and if this is the case you need to be ok with that. There are a lot of dogs who have not be abused who hate water too! You can check the AKC website to see if Chows are usually fond of water or not.

Best of Luck with her.

lovemymaltese
07-08-2002, 12:05 PM
My parents have a dog that came from an abusive home. He was a little pup when we brought him home to love him and take care of him. We discovered that whenever we brought out a fly swatter, Snoopy would freak out. We concluded that his previous owners must have used a fly swatter to hit him or scare him. We had to be sure that Snoopy wasn't around when we used one, we got real good at hitting flies with towels instead. Huney needs love and reassurance, good luck!

mugsy
07-08-2002, 12:52 PM
A lot of love and attention should do the trick. Don't think that it's going to happen overnight. Shawna is still a little leery sometimes and we've had her for 3 years. Just be patient and it will all work out in the end.

sasvermont
07-08-2002, 01:09 PM
My suggestion is to be willing to wait some time for her to grow confident that you will not hurt her. Seeing the other dogs and inter-reacting with them will certainly help Huney get through this major league change.

Keep us posted.:)

lovemymaltese
07-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Good point Mugsy, it wont happen overnight, but patience will prevail.

anna_66
07-09-2002, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all your sugestions. I guess I just wanted to make sure we were doing all we could for our little girl:D

Crikit
07-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Don't worry Anna it will get better. Both Smudge and Winter were abused or neglected when I get them and they both have issuses but like everyone said just give it time and care and she will see that she's not in the same type of place that she was before.

turner
07-28-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone! I am new to Pet Talk and very happy I found this. I have a pure breed rottie (named Phoebe), and yes she was abused when we adopted her. She was terrified of everything. It took about 2-3 months before she really came around. It just takes lots of time and reasurance that you are not going to hurt them. Just take it slow.

:)

anna_66
07-29-2002, 06:22 AM
Welcome Turner, and thanks. Things are getting better with her, I think she really loves her new home, and the other dogs have really taken up with her. We have a Rottie too! His name is Angus, he's an old boy, almost 11! Do you have any pics of your Phoebe? Sure would love to see them!
Anna

turner
07-29-2002, 08:23 AM
Hi anna_66,

I do have some pictures of phoebe but I don't know how to paste them here. If you could tell me how to do that, I would love to show her off along with Deisel....

Thanks lots
:eek:

ChrisAK
07-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Another bit of advise: Have everyone in your family schedule a time just for the two of them. Then take her to another place and just pet and walk.

Our Jazz was also abused, and was terrified of men. DH would take 1/2 an hour a day for just her and take her to the park. This intensified the already close bond she had to him from day one. She is now the matriarch of the house. ;)

aly
07-29-2002, 02:10 PM
Anna,

I somehow missed this thread. Everyone has given great advice. I would also try similar things to what I told you in my response to the grooming question. Find her comfort zone and try to expand it little by little.

I've had Lolly for over a year and she is still very jumpy. I still can't pick up my legs if the leashes get me tangled up. I do exercises with her a lot where I'll slightly lift my leg and feed her a treat. Also sometimes I lift it very high and call her to me. If she comes, she gets a big time reward. I try to get her out of the house a lot now to expose her to as much as possible. She's getting a lot better with men. I signed her up for agility and am hoping that will help boost her confidence. I'll let ya know how that works out :)

If you do take Huney out in public, be very aware of other people. Don't let them charge right up to her. Warn them to take it slow and not to push her limits. I'm sure they'll understand once you explain why.

Yawning or licking your lips is a calming sign. If you ever see Huney is just really stressed, try to yawn. It really works with Lolly :D (opps, just made myself yawn!!)

The main points are positive reinforcement, no coddling, and give it some time.