PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a breeder?

buttercup132
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM
We are looking for a Main Coon or a Manx kitten with no luck! I've searched online sites like craiglist, shelters, I've looked online for breeders and there was ONE for a Manx but isn't breeding anymore and is far away. Couldn't find any Main Coons. I live in Ontario Canada I thought if anyone could help me find a good breeder it would be PT.

catmandu
03-29-2007, 02:38 PM
I put maine coon cats ontario, and got breeders for Toronto, Brighton and Burlington if that helps.
You might check the SPCA , as sometimes they have purebred Cats.
As does Pets Mart on occasion.
Good luck with your Gentle Giant.

buttercup132
03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Do they have links? Toronto and Burlington are good I dont know where the other place is though. I live 5 minutes from Burlington. Thanks:)

Freedom
03-29-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi Alicia -

Here are web sites which may help:

CFA - Cat Fanciers Association, has a breeder locator here:
http://secure.cfa.org/Search.aspx

Note they have Manx SH ad Manx LH; I didn't know whih you wanted; a few places in Ontario did pop up.

TICA - The International Cat Association, has a breeder locator AND a breed rescue, check the menu down the left side here:
http://www.tica.org/html/english/home/

The Maine Coon Breeders and Fanciers Association web site starts here:
http://www.mcbfa.org/

I could not find the Manx breeder group, but you can probably find a link to them on either CFA or TICA sites.

Hope this helps!

catmandu
03-29-2007, 03:28 PM
There are links but they are so amny letters and punctuation that I cant remember them to transfer them.
Just look under maine coons burlington ontaio , and there are listings there.

Randy_K
03-29-2007, 04:34 PM
One way to see the cats and meet the breeders is at a cat show. CFA or TICA shows are held in major cities - you may need to travel a bit to a show but it's worth it. Maine Coons are popular cats in the CFA - I've seen lots of them at shows around here. They're big critters too!

jenluckenbach
03-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Why is it important to have a BREED cat?? Have you actually LOOKED at shelters and rescues in your area?? There are THOUSANDS, tens of thousands, of homeless, DESERVING cats in need of a home. Are they less worthy of adoption because they are not long hair or because they have a long tail?

* Steps off soap box *, people will never change. :(

jenluckenbach
03-29-2007, 05:34 PM
I'd take this guy in a heartbeat!!!

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7973006

There are 40 cats in Burlington alone in need of adoption.

There are 80 cats in just ONE of the toronto shelters I looked at.

After looking through another 125 cats I fund this gorgeous girl.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7771983

* oops, accidentally got back on soap box * sorry :(

catfamily
03-29-2007, 08:41 PM
I was just going to reply the same way jenluckenbach did.Why on earth do you need a breeder.Their are so many homeless and shelter cats that are main coons and ALL kinds of loving cats that are going to be put down or die in a cage after many years of just sitting there.
Personnally...I wish there were NO breeders.There are too many homeless and unwanted cats/kittens in the world.

columbine
03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Purebred cats are prone to genetic disorders and can rack up some distressing vet bills. Please do consider visiting an adoption center and just letting one of the sweet little cats there steal your heart. You'll see - there'll be one who's just waiting for you!

Love, Columbine

Randy_K
03-29-2007, 11:15 PM
Purebred cats are prone to genetic disorders and can rack up some distressing vet bills.
True for some breeders (even one is too many!) but not universally true. Mango came from a responsible breeder who mixed the gene pool well and only had one litter a year (and generally fell in love with at least one of the kittens from every litter!). He's never had a sick day in his six years. In contrast, Bubbles' mom was rescued from the street very pregnant. Little Bubs has frequent health problems that are probably genetic in origin. Peaches, although an Aby, was rescued from the street so we don't know her genetic heritage but she has allergy problens that can become a huge problem if not managed properly.

Please do consider visiting an adoption center and just letting one of the sweet little cats there steal your heart.
I whole heartedly agree. Especially older cats. They are so happy to have a loving home again... and they deserve it!

buttercup132
03-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Why is it important to have a BREED cat?? Have you actually LOOKED at shelters and rescues in your area?? There are THOUSANDS, tens of thousands, of homeless, DESERVING cats in need of a home. Are they less worthy of adoption because they are not long hair or because they have a long tail?

That's nice I'm well aware of all the homless cats thats why if you read my post properly you would see I've looked in rescues and have tried to find breed specific rescues with no luck which is why I'm going to my last resort which is a breeder.I asked for some help finding a certain breed not a rant on adopting. I don't see why your getting all worked up about liking a certain breed. Have you never visited the dog section of this board ? Everyone loves certain breeds and there is nothing wrong with that.

BC_MoM
03-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Alicia is well aware of the adoption world, I'm pretty sure the majority of her pets are rescues.
No need to pull out the soap boxes. WOW.
What's wrong with her going to a breeder if she wants a specific breed?
She's smart. She can tell a reputable breeder from an idiot.

buttercup132
03-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Alicia is well aware of the adoption world, I'm pretty sure the majority of her pets are rescues.
What's wrong with her going to a breeder if she wants a specific breed? She's smart. She knows a reputable breeder from an idiot.Thank you! And infact all but 2 of my animals are rescues even my horse is a rescue. My dog came from a pet store but I couldnt help that I was 6 and my mom bought my sisters bunny from a reputable breeder.

Flatcoatluver
03-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Alicia I didn't know you were considering getting another kitty. Is there even any purebred rescues around? I know that sometimes they can put you on a waiting list and will call you right away when they do have owners drop them off. I know I am not any help, but good luck on your search. How are Molly and Hanky doing?

Lilith Cherry
03-30-2007, 06:02 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jazzy-Jo Havenly Felines
PO Box 16
St. Eugene, ON K0B 1P0
Phone: 613 674 1583

Email: [email protected]

LOCATED 1 HOUR EAST OF OTTAWA, JUST OFF HWY 417, AND 45 MINUTES FROM DOWNTOWN MONTREAL

This shelter near my home has several Maine Coone type cats they really need homes for. I think it may be nearer to your home than the ones Barry kindly found for you. I have attached some pictures of the "orphans" for you.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ON40.html

buttercup132
03-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Alicia I didn't know you were considering getting another kitty. Is there even any purebred rescues around? I know that sometimes they can put you on a waiting list and will call you right away when they do have owners drop them off. I know I am not any help, but good luck on your search. How are Molly and Hanky doing?Yes my dad has wanted a Main Coon or Manx sicne forever , he likes the big cats. I don't think there is any purebred rescues around me for any breed. They are doing great they love each other so much now and are inseperable they always follow each other.

Ottawa is like 5 hours away, a bit too far. Thanks.

BC_MoM
03-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Perhaps you could meet half way with the foster parents of one of these kitties if you're interested.

Argranade
03-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Here is a breeder of main coons,

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-cats-kittens-for-sale-Maine-Coon-Kittens-Available-W0QQAdIdZ11621702

Only $700 lol.

Argranade
03-30-2007, 08:39 PM
OR I don't know if your dad would be intrested or not but Bobtail Pixie-Bob kittens are my favourit of all breeds and they have that realy realy short tail, they look like wild bob cats and there realy pretty.

Here is a breeder http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-cats-kittens-for-sale-Exotic-Unusual-Bengal-Pixie-Bob-kittens-CCA-Reg-W0QQAdIdZ7720146

buttercup132
04-01-2007, 11:41 AM
Thank you to the people who actually helped. I think we have found a breeder and her momma cat is due any day now.