PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Chocolate

jennielynn1970
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
My assistant here at work asked me whether chocolate was as deadly to cats as it is to dogs. I've never heard of a cat eating chocolate, so I have no idea. Apparently, she had a bag of hershey kisses out by the garbage, and when she went out today to put more garbage out, she found muddy cat prints and silver foil on the ground and some chocolate with licks or bites out of it. Any idea if this is something she should worry about?? She doesn't own cats, and actually she's a cat hater, so I wouldn't doubt that she found out that it's bad for them and put it out there on purpose. It's the same cat that is pooping on her front porch mat, lol. I think the cat is very smart! :D :p

momtomany
03-02-2007, 11:41 AM
Hey Jenn
I tried to attach the ASPCA website for list of poison so you could just click, but it......as you can see

Anyway chocolate is on the list for pets.........

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe

Craftlady
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Very toxic heres a link tells more about it.
hazzard (http://www.petcaretips.net/cat-chocolate-poisoning.html)

KittyGurl
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I have heard that chocolate was bad for any animal if they eat too much, but Angel snuck some chocolate ice cream and a chocolate donut one day. She was fine later on!

Medusa
03-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I haven't read the info posted but I've been told that it's baker's chocolate that is supposed to be toxic to dogs and cats. I'm inclined to believe that's true because my RB dog Charmin ate a whole candy dish of chocolate covered cherries while we were at the other end of the house during the holidays. I called my vet and we watched her but nothing happened. But a pet has no business eating chocolate anyhow, so I'd make sure they didn't get any. AND...if you find out that woman is purposely trying to poison that cat, she needs to be turned in. God forbid if I live near anyone who does harm to cats.

Blessings,
Mary

smokey the elder
03-02-2007, 12:45 PM
I caught Luna drinking some of my chocolate milk once, but it didn't seem to do him any harm. I think it really depends on the dose, and the individual cat. Smokey the Elder got hold of a tiny piece of chocolate chip and was violently sick, then was OK.