PDA

View Full Version : Building a Dream - Oprah

sasvermont
02-26-2007, 09:24 PM
Oh my gosh. I am watching that tv special about the academy Oprah built in South Africa. 26 buildings, all expense paid for over 400 girls. The interviews with the girls are incredible. How could anyone have said negative things about this project.

Tears keep filling my eyes.

lizbud
02-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Oh darn, I missed it . :( I knew it was going to be on, but didn't know
it was last night. I wanted to see that. :(

cassiesmom
02-27-2007, 10:22 AM
Did they say why she chose an African country as the place to establish the school? I missed almost the entire show.

Rachel
02-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Liz, the show is going to be replayed on Saturday evening.

I think anyone who was critical of Oprah's project should watch this program and they may see things in a different light. Others should watch just to be inspired and hopeful for our world.

lizbud
02-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Liz, the show is going to be replayed on Saturday evening.

I think anyone who was critical of Oprah's project should watch this program and they may see things in a different light. Others should watch just to be inspired and hopeful for our world.

Yes Rachel, in today's show she said that too. I have it marked on my
calendar now. :) 8;00pm on NBC.

Before this, I did hear Oprah explain why she chose to build where she did.
So I'll leave her show to explain it again.I understand her reasons very well.

gini
02-28-2007, 05:36 PM
It was such a good show and introduction to her new school. When the tears flowed down those beautiful faces - tears that were highlighted even more by the beautiful brown of their skin - it was more than I could take - out came the kleenex!

I hope that this is the first of many shows that she does on this school. I will be anxious to hear about the teachers that have been chosen for these girls and to follow all of them through their academics.

When she announced to the one girl that she will pay for college too............
how could you fault Oprah in any way?

Did the rest of you see all of the beauty in those faces? The excitement and those smiles were really something and for all of their poverty - their grace and dignity so heartening and humbling at the same time.

CathyBogart
02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Sometimes I wish I had a TV. :) It sounds like a beautiful segment.