PDA

View Full Version : Gambling away your Daughters life...

Blue_Frog
02-26-2007, 01:08 PM
People made me very very sad :( --- I just don't get how someone could trade away their child for a gambling debt ... And the best part? The tribal elders are trying to make sure it gets enforced so she has to go against her will.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2007-02-26T153130Z_01_ISL100092_RTRUKOC_0_US-PAKISTAN-GIRL.xml&src=rss

Girl lost in poker game pleads for help

HYDERABAD (Reuters) - A teenage girl in southern Pakistan, whose late father lost her in a poker game when she was 2 years old, has asked authorities to save her from being handed over to a middle-aged relative.

Rasheeda, 17, said she has filed applications with the police and a local councillor asking them to prevent Lal Haider, 45, from taking her to his home.

Her mother, Nooran said her husband racked up a debt of 10,000 rupees ($151) to Haider playing cards.

"My husband didn't have money to pay, and instead he told Lal Haider that he could take Rasheeda when she grows up," she said.

Despite being paid his money last year, she said Haider still insisted the girl should be given to him because of tribal customs.

While both families live in Hyderabad, a city 160 km (100 miles) north of the southern city of Karachi, they belong to the same tribe in Baluchistan province.

The girl's uncle, Dur Mohammad said Haider apparently wanted to marry the girl to his son.

Khalid Rajput, a local councillor dealing with the case, said the decision that Rasheeda should be handed over to Haider was taken late last week at a tribal council meeting.

"We know some tribal elders from Baluchistan came for the meeting in which the girl's family was told to give her as per their customs," he said.

Irfan Bhutto, a police officer in Hyderabad, said Haider had been summoned. "We will ensure the girl does not have to do anything against her will."

Catlady711
02-26-2007, 01:18 PM
People made me very very sad --- I just don't get how someone could trade away their child for a gambling debt ... And the best part? The tribal elders are trying to make sure it gets enforced so she has to go against her will.

People in other countries have different customs than we do, and gambling has been noted to cause people to do strange things all in the sake of addiction.

DrKym
02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Parents usually know what is best for their child, so I think all marriages should be arranged.

And at least her family will not need a dowry for her.

sparks19
02-26-2007, 01:52 PM
I konw this is kind of unrelated and this is more funny than sad like the above article....

but just for a little humour. I heard on the Jeff Foxworthy count down (he always looks up crazy news stories)

A man was playing poker with his friends and he was sure he had a winning hand but had no more money... so he put his wife in. He lost and later his friend who had won came to his house to collect his winnings (the mans wife) The man refused to give over his wife but the wife was so mad that her husband would do such a thing that she divorced him and ran away with the friend that won the poker game. LOL serves him right.

Miss Z
02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
That makes me very sad too, especially the part of marrying the girl off to her cousin. When will some people learn that others are not objects? :(

caseysmom
02-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Parents usually know what is best for their child, so I think all marriages should be arranged.

Your joking, right?

DrKym
02-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Your joking, right?

I think so.................................. ;)

caseysmom
02-26-2007, 02:08 PM
I think so.................................. ;)

Oh I thought so! I mean don't get me wrong I am sure I am the best equipped to pick husbands for my daughters and I would no doubt do a better job than them :D

mike001
02-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Aren't we lucky to be living in a free country where such nonsense is non existant?

DrKym
02-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh I thought so! I mean don't get me wrong I am sure I am the best equipped to pick husbands for my daughters and I would no doubt do a better job than them :D

As the mother of 2 married daughters , you are absolutely right!

And the woman I choose for my son will be marvelous! :p

wombat2u2004
02-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Actually I have something to admit folks.
Last night I lost you all on a poker game.
I'm sorry, but I had run out of chips, and the only recourse I had was to use all the members of this group as collateral.
Your respective new spouses will be arriving today from the Congo to meet with you all.
Wombat

lizbud
02-26-2007, 05:00 PM

You have got to be kidding lady. :rolleyes:

DrKym
02-26-2007, 05:24 PM
You have got to be kidding lady. :rolleyes:

As said earlier I think so.................................. :p

Wombat did you at least lose me to a tall mate? I hate looking down at guys.......no I don't on second thought ;)

Kalei
02-26-2007, 05:51 PM
How sad:(

wombat2u2004
02-27-2007, 03:25 AM
As said earlier I think so.................................. :p

Wombat did you at least lose me to a tall mate? I hate looking down at guys.......no I don't on second thought ;)

Sorry doc, all I have left is 4' pygmy.

Marigold2
02-28-2007, 04:51 PM
I'd like a blond.;)

wombat2u2004
02-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I'd like a blond.;)

All I have left is a blond woodcutter :eek: