PDA

View Full Version : What word/s do you have a hard time spelling

Sirrahsim
02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
I can NEVER remember how to spell the word restaurant!! Every time that I go to type it I have to look it up :rolleyes: I always want to spell it restaraunt or something like that :rolleyes:

I was an excellent speller when I was in school but it seems that that ability has atrophied a bit since then :rolleyes: :D

junescrater716
02-25-2007, 12:54 PM
I was on a really potent cold medicene once and I forgot how to spell my name and the word "the" lol :D

Catlady711
02-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I also used to be excellent at spelling in school, however have since went downhilll and getting worse every year.

These are some words I have a hard time spelling, and if they are spelled correctly it's purely coincidental!

Diarrhea
Chihuahua
Muzzle
Dachschand
Rottweiller

Most of them are words I have to write at work and it bothers me that I can't consistently spell them correctly because it's on a medical file and should be spelled properly.

Randi
02-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I have a hard time spelling anaesthesia, had to look it up again. :rolleyes:

junescrater716! It's medicine. ;)

What I don't understand is that some people mix up "then" and "than". It has entirely different meanings.

Ginger's Mom
02-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Is it seperate or separate? I could look it up in the dictionary every day and I still wouldn't remember. :rolleyes:

jackie
02-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I have trouble with restaurant too!

And apparently!

Thanks god for my Google toolbar spellchecker! :p

luvofallhorses
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
ususally schnauzer. :p I am pretty good at spelling other words, though. :)

Pam
02-25-2007, 02:55 PM
What I don't understand is that some people mix up "then" and "than". It has entirely different meanings.

Along the same lines..... I always have to look up stationary and stationery when I am using them in a sentence.

1. Stationery is writing paper.
2. Stationary is being fixed in one place.

Now why can't I get that through my head? :confused:

junescrater716
02-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I have a hard time spelling anaesthesia, had to look it up again. :rolleyes:

junescrater716! It's medicine. ;)

OOPS!!! lol See spelling is annoying. I'm good on the spelling tests but when I'm writing like stories/lyrics/poems etc. I mispell sooooo much :p :D

Almita
02-25-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm with you on that. I can't spell Restaurant either. I think that's the only word... not sure haha.

Laura's Babies
02-25-2007, 06:59 PM
I always made streight "A's" in spelling at school but now I can't remember how to spell ANYTHING!

borzoimom
02-25-2007, 07:15 PM
ususally schnauzer. :p I am pretty good at spelling other words, though. :)
Ususally.. lollllllll.. ( perfect for this thread.. lol.. )

Pembroke_Corgi
02-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Oooooh, I always misspell restaurant, too! I just correctly learned how to spell "definitely" - from Mozilla's spell-checker- I used to spell it "definately." I'm fairly confident with my spelling, but nonetheless, I sure do appreciate spell-checker! :)

CountryWolf07
02-25-2007, 08:54 PM
I can't spell restaurant either! I always have a hard time with it... It is annoying.

Ceph
02-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Restaraunt and privilege....

and sometimes words just look wrong...that always sends me for a loop.

Daisy and Delilah
02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Here's my list: I won't attempt to try to correct them so they could all be wrong :) :confused:

restaurant
seperate
calendar
magnificent
accomodate
necessary
diarrea
deodurant-this one is my worst

The list could go on and on. I'm very thankful for my spelling correction website :) I made myself memorize Chihuahua :D

cassiesmom
02-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Accommodate ...
Curiosity ...

persianmom
02-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Most words, never was a good speller, Thank God for spell checkers.

Suki Wingy
02-26-2007, 03:00 AM
most normal words. Sometimes the spell check doesn't even get it! I suspect I may be dyslexic though so that could be part of it. I don't even reilze half the time that anything is wrong. My worst is probably believe, which may or may not be spelled correctly right there. I've gotten better at it since the Sea World commercial though! Also business, and busy (are those spelled right?)

Twisterdog
02-26-2007, 03:12 AM

No kidding! I had NO idea whatsoever, I spell them both "stationary" and always have.

Here's a trick for "separate" ... Say this, "There's "A RAT" in "sepARATe".

And here's my trick for desert vs. dessert ... Desert has one "s", like sand. Dessert has two "s"'s, like strawberry shortcake.

I have a lot of trouble knowing whether words like calendar, cemetery, etc. have an "e" or and "a" in the last syllable.

I never remember "penicillin" ... is that even correct?

RedHedd
02-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Along the same lines..... I always have to look up stationary and stationery when I am using them in a sentence.

Now why can't I get that through my head? :confused:

An easy way to remember is that Letter is spelled with "er" and so is stationery.

RedHedd
02-26-2007, 09:12 AM
And here's my trick for desert vs. dessert ... Desert has one "s", like sand. Dessert has two "s"'s, like strawberry shortcake.
Dessert is stressed spelled backwards! :D When you're stressed, eat dessert! :D

GreyhoundGirl
02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
schnauzer.

Me too!

Usually words I have trouble with are ones that are similar in french... like...

différent /different
bleu/blue

Rachel
02-27-2007, 04:39 AM

Another way to remember this one is that you use a pen to write on stationery.

For some reason, I have a hard time spelling the names of some fruits and vegetables. My grocery list is a mess.

banana or bannana?
potatos or potatoes?
broccoli or brocoli or brocolli?

Pam
02-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Thank you ReddHedd and Rachel! Those were just the tips I needed. You have saved me countless trips to the dictionary! LOL!

In my work doing medical transcription my boss does not spell things (probably a good thing as he spells worse than I do). :p When he says a patient's name is Frances/Francis I have to wait until I hear he/she or him/her in the body of the dictation before knowing which spelling to use. I found a helpful little way to determine the correct spelling which is sort of like the hints you gave. Frances with an "e" is easy to remember because there is an "e" in her. Francis with an "i" is easy to remember because there is an "i" in him. :)

sirrahbed
02-27-2007, 02:28 PM
brocoli...

no, broccoli

no, brocolli

broccolli :p

none of them LOOK right

Husky_mom
02-27-2007, 02:36 PM
I know I have some but can´t seem to recall which ones........most of my mistakes are from not typing right, you know, finger errors, but I just thought about two that always have given me problems

business bussiness
adress addres address.......lol

I had a time when younger with
together........until I got it figured it out........TO...GET.....HER......haha clever ain´t I

xcolbi
02-27-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm a pretty good speller, but the most challenging words would have to be phobias. :p (Here I go again with the phobias... :rolleyes: )

Hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (fear of the number 666)

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia (OMG! I REMEMBERED IT! :D )

pneumonia (or however you spell it...I think that's right though...not sure... ;) )

psychic (I seem to always screw up the s and the p or add in an h somewhere...only when I'm typing though. My friend spells it physic :p )

plagiarism (I always put plajarism :p )

BitsyNaceyDog
02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Spelling has never been one of my strong points, definitely is probably the word I have the most trouble with though.

Dachschand I assume you mean dachshund ? ;) (I normally wouldn't correct someone's spelling, but thought it was appropriate for this thread.)

Miss Z
02-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Naphtha is a word that I often leave the first 'h' out of. Other than that, I can generally remember how things are spelt. :)

RedHedd
02-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Quite often I "cheat" and actually use a spell checker! The ieSpell free plug in is a lifesaver and very good for a free, small application.