PDA

View Full Version : i need ideas! :)

finn's mom
02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on how to make a large subject appear smaller? I'm trying to take photographs illustrating scale and perspective. I have plenty of photos that make a small subject seem larger. I am just having a total brain shutdown! Any suggestions or links to photos would be great!

beeniesmom
02-20-2007, 02:01 PM
Place it next to something larger?
Photograph it from a very low angle?
Not very good at this. I wish I was.

beeniesmom
02-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Ooooh Idea. Use a mirror.

finn's mom
02-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Carmen! I thought about placing it near something small and having the smaller item closer and the bigger item farther so that they appear the same size, thus making the larger item (like a car) look smaller...but I don't know if that's what he's talking about. He's asked us to take two images and if I did that kind, it would be making the small item look larger and the large item look smaller, all in one image! Wow, that was a mouthful! I hope it makes sense. And, with the lower angle, that actually makes the item look bigger (if I'm understanding what you're saying, anyway!). I am just having a hard time coming up with ideas! I appreciate your post, though, even if you don't consider yourself good at it! ;)

finn's mom
02-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Ooooh Idea. Use a mirror.

David suggested that, too...let me go give it a shot! :D

beeniesmom
02-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Yikes! That even more difficult than I thought... all in one image? Good luck.

finn's mom
02-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Yikes! That even more difficult than I thought... all in one image? Good luck.

Well, that's not what he wants...he wants two images. But, if you put a small item and a large item together, you're "killing two birds with one stone" so to speak. So, that's why I said I don't think it's what he wants. Does that make sense?

Husky_mom
02-20-2007, 02:14 PM
instead of a low angle try a high angle.......like looking down a building.......
or get a shot from the roof.......

so he´s asked you to get two separate shots......one making an item smaller and another making an item bigger than they actually are.......

so you have the smaller bigger already, and now just the bigger smaller right?

beeniesmom
02-20-2007, 02:15 PM
How about taking a picture of a picture....
That would make a large thing look smaller.... maybe?

finn's mom
02-20-2007, 02:17 PM
instead of a low angle try a high angle.......like looking down a building.......
or get a shot from the roof.......

so he´s asked you to get two separate shots......one making an item smaller and another making an item bigger than they actually are.......

so you have the smaller bigger already, and now just the bigger smaller right?

bingo. :) and i thought about the roof shots, i just don't know if i have anything interesting to photograph from my own roof, and i didn't give myself the opportunity to go into town or anything and ask to get up on a highrise roof or something. plus, i'm terrified of heights, so i'd have to have someone go with me. hahaha

i do think i'll try the mirror thing and see what i can accomplish with that and then grab the ladder and head for the skies. ;)