PDA

View Full Version : Painted Ceremic bowls - Poison to dogs-

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I am attaching the link to the whole article at the end of the copied paragraph.
I have heard for years ceremic bowls mostly because of the glaze and paint contains lead etc. and have posted this warning a few times to people in emails etc. - Here is a good summary of this ..
" Plastic Bowls- Painted Ceramic Bowls always put water in STAINLESS STEEL or CLEAR GLASS BOWLS, Not plastic or ceramic! Plastic deteriorates no matter how often you clean or change water. Research shows that when plastic containers, such as cups and dishes are filled with water or other liquids that they will gradually dissolve. This could be hazardous to your pet's health. (from Dr. Michael Fox's column in the NY post) Email questions to [email protected] . Painted Ceramic Bowls even if glazed could still lead to lead in your pets food or water. This is a tip for PEOPLE TOO! Only use WHITE or clear glass. Never 'colors'! If the OUTSIDE of the bowl is color it's fine but not the INSIDE. Even if 'glazed' the lead or toxins from paint and colors can get into the food and water" .
Here is a good link on general other poisons to dogs.. http://www.treshanley.com/cic/hazards.html

Lady's Human
02-18-2007, 10:17 AM
As far as plastic bowls go:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp

I have to call BS on the bowls. Should they be washed? Yep. Any water bowl should be washed.

As far as the ceramics go, any ceramic bowl that's okay for human food should be okay for dog food/water.

There have been issues with lead paint in some ceramics imported into the US, but I haven't heard anything about it for a long time.

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 10:25 AM
The complaint with plastic bowls, the biggest complaint is that plastic bowls will absorb the fat in dog food- just like plastic does with speghetti, meat etc.
The biggest problem with ceremic bowls is that dog bowls are not made for humans. Even glazes on the bowls if made outside the US and Canada ( china being the biggest offender) not only will wear off, but the glaze itsself is not made for people. I am afraid many Asian countries have little regard for dogs and cats obviously.
The idea of painted meaning colors is what amazed me the most. I use to do ceremics and really it makes sense. The paints do have lead in them, and even recommended the use of gloves in applying most colors. Now I know why...
When we were having brands of dog foods tested for ethoxyquin, I also sent in two of my oldest bowls- they were a thick plastic- they came back " rancid on fat content". I use stainless steel bowls and have for years, but I always wash my bowls after they eat. This was recommended because I feed raw, and done more so for my protection.

Lady's Human
02-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Never, ever argue religion with a true believer.

areias
02-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Then what is recommended for a dog that will tip any bowl except ceramic?? I only use it for his food...but when he starts eating, even in a "no-spill" bowl he will normally loose about 1/4 of his food in the floor. Ceramic put an end to that.

I have a plastic "auto waterer" with a jug that is tipped over, and have never had a problem-the first one we had would leave mildew at the highest point of the water but we took care of that with washing everytime the jug was empty...

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 10:45 AM
Never, ever argue religion with a true believer.
lol.. yup!

cyber-sibes
02-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Just adding my 2 cents, gained form 30 years of working in the ceramics field:

Lead is perfectly safe in glazes if the pottery has been properly fired. It is physically impossible for it to "come out" into your food. Unfortunately, some cheap imports aren't properly fired, hence the persistent rumor. For at least the past twenty years, all lead has been "encapsulated" in commercial glazes used for food items, human or canine. The industry also used to use uranium, which is no longer legal.

Regarding overseas pottery: The USA is the baby in the industry. Ceramic ware has been commercially produced for centuries upon centuries in European, Asian and Middle-eastern countries.

And yes, gloves & respirators are standard when mixing leaded glazes.
Moral: buy a decent ceramic bowl. I've used them with pets for years and no one has dropped dead yet or shown any signs of heavy metal poisoning.

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Then what is recommended for a dog that will tip any bowl except ceramic?? I only use it for his food...but when he starts eating, even in a "no-spill" bowl he will normally loose about 1/4 of his food in the floor. Ceramic put an end to that.

I have a plastic "auto waterer" with a jug that is tipped over, and have never had a problem-the first one we had would leave mildew at the highest point of the water but we took care of that with washing everytime the jug was empty...
I use bowls like this. At dinner time the one side comes out ( thats femkas spot to eat) and the rest of the time they are both water.

Karen
02-18-2007, 12:26 PM
There are many, many, many, many, many types of plastic. Saying "plastic bowls absorb fat" is misleading, in that it depends on what kind of plastic you have. Some are softer and more prous than others, and so unsuitable. But you cannot rule out "all plastic" or "all ceramic" any more than you can say "every dog likes to play fetch." Tupperware, for example, is a fairly soft plastic - if you store spaghetti sauce in it, it will stain. That is not true of harder plastics. Think about it.

For ceramics, if it is made in the U.S., and if it is people-safe, it is perfectly safe and fine, even if it has pretty colors. There are manufacturing standards set for such things.

borzoimom
02-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Yea- if we use ceremics they are made in the US or Canada.

Catsnclay
02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
I have been in the pottery business for the last 30 + years and this is one of those "old wives tales" that pop up now and then.

Let me see if I can straighten this out for everyone. Ceramics - earthenware, stoneware & porcelian are completely SAFE. We have strick regulations that we MUST meet if we sell/make anything in the ceramic world. All clays and glazes, if used properly are completely safe. The dinnerware you eat off of every night....safe. The coffee/tea you drink in the am, perfectly safe.

Now, the ceramic you must be aware of is some of the stuff made in China and Mexico. They sometimes do not fire the clay to the correct tempature, and the glazes they use are known to have some lead in them, BUT......it would take years, and years of eating & drinking off of these before anything would happen to you.

I suggest strongly if you are going to buy any type of ceramics at a dollar store or from foriegn countries, to go and buy a lead kit - yes they are out there. It is a little paper stick that you put on the said piece with water (I believe) and if it turns a specific color it either does or does not have lead. Very simple.

Buy your ceramics from stores & people you trust (sorry, I don't trust dollar store ceramics at all!) Yes, the local potters at craft fairs are safe - we have to be or we would all be out of business.

If anyone has any more questions about ceramics, please feel free to PM me, I will be happy to help.

Bunny

borzoimom
02-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Bowls in the US are safe. I totally agree! If I use ceremic bowls they are made in the US.
BTW- I use to do ceremics too Catsnclay... Thats pretty cool!!! ;)

Lady's Human
02-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Then why, praytell, did you post the urban legend that they are poison to dogs?

cassiesmom
02-21-2007, 01:39 PM
But what about ceramics made in Mexico? I've read that Mexican made ceramics are the ones that can carry lead and there are kits that allow you to test for lead content before you use them for food. (Where I read it was in the Frugal Gourmet's cook books.) Cassie Cat's bowls are glass and her water dish is plastic because she's such a fussbudget - I'm just asking about ceramics in general.

Vela
02-21-2007, 01:40 PM
I use stainless steel bowls for the food and plastic waterers with the jug on top, for water (previously used plastic bowls for water as well). Haven't had a problem with that yet. Haven't ever used ceramic dishes for either food or water, and I don't put food in plastic.

borzoimom
02-21-2007, 01:43 PM
But what about ceramics made in Mexico? I've read that Mexican made ceramics are the ones that can carry lead and there are kits that allow you to test for lead content before you use them for food. (Where I read it was in the Frugal Gourmet's cook books.) Cassie Cat's bowls are glass and her water dish is plastic because she's such a fussbudget - I'm just asking about ceramics in general.
I have heard that too but I really do not follow anything with that. It was just easier to use metal bowls and be done with it..

Catsnclay
02-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Mexico does not care about it's citizens....truly. Lead based paints (for ceramics and wall paint) is allowed in Mexico (and some other countries). The stores "should" have something on the ware that say "Not for food use" or "For dectorative use only" but sadly they don't. ( Usually your local dollar stores - remember you get what you pay for!)

If you buy ceramics from a well known store, you will not have this problem -

Ceramics are completly safe for human & animal consumption - even with COLOR on or in it!!!!

(shesh- this reminds me of the "Swiffer" email that went around - and apparently is still going around :rolleyes: )

mike001
02-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I've always used stainless steel bowls for all my dogs. Thinking back....have any of you ever seen ceramic bowls used in hospitals? Everything comes on solid white plates and foam containers. Except they use plastic water jugs...yuck..

Kfamr
02-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I'd imagine it'd be rather expensive for a hospital to supply ceramic bowls for all of their patients - not that they are unsafe.

Catsnclay
02-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Just as a side note, I sent an email to that Dr. Fox, but apparently the email is no longer correct - it came back not deliverable.

I'm going to assume he meant "cheap" Imports should not be used because of the lead, but the article was written several years ago and most likely some things were left on the editing floor.

So, let us all learn a good lesson from this:

Do not believe everything you read on the Internet. ;)

Use common sense. :)

And, last but not least - if its too good to be true, it probably isn't!!!!! :rolleyes:

Lady's Human
02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Hospitals normally use the most affordable, most durable materials they can. Ceramics break, stainless steel and plastics will survive repeated washings and drops.

lizbud
02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Just as a side note, I sent an email to that Dr. Fox, but apparently the email is no longer correct - it came back not deliverable.

I'm going to assume he meant "cheap" Imports should not be used because of the lead, but the article was written several years ago and most likely some things were left on the editing floor.

So, let us all learn a good lesson from this:

Do not believe everything you read on the Internet. ;)

Use common sense. :)

And, last but not least - if its too good to be true, it probably

isn't!!!!! :rolleyes:

I think this sums it all up very nicely. Sounds a lot different than the
original posted "warning" though. Thanks for filling in the blanks. :)

borzoimom
02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
I think this sums it all up very nicely. Sounds a lot different than the
original posted "warning" though. Thanks for filling in the blanks. :)
A warning is a warning- check out your bowls you use.. After all my years in dogs- that is how I knew the US bowls were safe.. And I dont have many of them either...