PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know Why My Car Is Shaking?

elizabethann
02-16-2007, 07:33 AM
So I'm driving to Target last night going about 80 on the highway and my car starts to shake like the dickens. I get to Target and check my tires - no flats. After I shopped, I drove home going around 65/70 and it's still shaking.

This morning I drove to work going 65 and I can feel it wanting to start shaking (if I went up to 70, it would have).

Why do you think this is? Is there something seriously wrong with my car? I drive a 2001 Ford Focus wagon.

Please help!

mruffruff
02-16-2007, 07:41 AM
It sounds like you need a wheel alignment. Not a serious problem, but your tires will wear unevenly and the car will steer to one side if you take your hands off the steering wheel. Just one of those maintenance things.

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 07:42 AM
I am not really sure but in my experience shaking at a certain speed is a wheel alignment.. Shake how? Like the engine- or the wheels? I am assuming since you said you checked the tires, you thought it had something to do with the tires..

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
My husband just said " how many miles in are on the car?".. And has it been hit in the front end?

elizabethann
02-16-2007, 07:44 AM
I am not really sure but in my experience shaking at a certain speed is a wheel alignment.. Shake how? Like the engine- or the wheels? I am assuming since you said you checked the tires, you thought it had something to do with the tires..

I thought the tires were flat. My whole car was shaking. My steering wheel, the windows, even my seat. I felt like I was on an old wooden roller coaster.

I hope it's just an alignment. Thanks for your thoughts folks!

critter crazy
02-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Yup, sounds like you need a wheel alignment! Been there done that!:D

elizabethann
My husband just said " how many miles in are on the car?".. And has it been hit in the front end?

I have 132,000 miles on it. I've been in 1 accident with it and that was from the side.

Freedom
Sounds like wheel alignment to me also. Hitting potholes is the big thing that puts them out of alignment.

borzoimom
02-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Yup, sounds like you need a wheel alignment! Been there done that!:D
Thats what it sounds like to me if the whole car was vibrating. If it was just the front end- that could be a more serious problem.

TFTpwnsYou
02-16-2007, 08:53 AM
I had the same thing happen with my old car. Scared the crap out of me. I think it is something to do with the wheels, roater(sp?), or something in that area. Definitely have it checked. It only gets worse and more scary. I hope you find the problem to be something minor.

Daisy and Delilah
02-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Car problems are my biggest fear in life. It definitely sounds like you have an allignment problem or one of the tires is degrading(seperating). Good luck with it. :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-16-2007, 09:26 AM
You need your tires balanced. When they are off balance your car will start to shake when you reach higher speeds..

When your wheels need to be aligned.. the car will veer off in one direction instead of driving in a straight line. :)

Lady's Human
02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
Shaking like that is normally either a bad tire or a tire that's out of balance.

Bad tires can be caused by alignment problems, so it sounds like a tire rotation/balance and an alignment check is in order.

DrKym
02-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Until the engine finally went in our old Acura we played the always fun game of "Guess The Scary Noise!"

Hope your shaking is cleared up ASAP, no fun driving a car with a twisted sense of humor!
Good luck and BE SAFE!

kym

lvpets2002
02-16-2007, 10:27 AM
:) Yes I will aggree.. However I was thinking it might be in some Snow & was cold shaking.. :D
It sounds like you need a wheel alignment. Not a serious problem, but your tires will wear unevenly and the car will steer to one side if you take your hands off the steering wheel. Just one of those maintenance things.

Husky_mom
02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
You need your tires balanced. When they are off balance your car will start to shake when you reach higher speeds..

When your wheels need to be aligned.. the car will veer off in one direction instead of driving in a straight line. :)

took my words......I work at a car shop......we sell tireas and do all mechanical stuff so I think Iīve learned a bit LOL......sometimes a simple thing can be very confusing more likely to us women.......thatīs why women that come here like having me around and not only guys.......

elizabethann
02-16-2007, 10:45 AM
took my words......I work at a car shop......we sell tireas and do all mechanical stuff so I think Iīve learned a bit LOL......sometimes a simple thing can be very confusing more likely to us women.......thatīs why women that come here like having me around and not only guys.......

Husky_mom, In your dealings with cars at the shop, which car, SUV and truck do you think is the best regarding upkeep and dependability?

I'd like to buy a new vehicle but I really like not having a car payment and I kind of like my little Focus (except I don't like it now because of the shaking issue).

Just curious. :)

RedHedd
02-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Like everyone else has said, sounds like a simple wheel alignment and balancing is in order - it's quick, simple and not too expensive. Take it in, get it done and get on with enjoying a long weekend! The Focus is a good car; I hope you're getting your regular oil changes, etc. It should last you a long time if properly maintained.

Husky_mom
02-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Husky_mom, In your dealings with cars at the shop, which car, SUV and truck do you think is the best regarding upkeep and dependability?

I'd like to buy a new vehicle but I really like not having a car payment and I kind of like my little Focus (except I don't like it now because of the shaking issue).

Just curious. :)

I must say it also depends in the country and all, but around here Chevrolet are fairly easy to maintain, cheap parts and all......Nissan are very tough cars but they have very expensive sparks.....which you change not very often but still when you do OMG!!.......

I have had a Neon and a Cirrus (Sebring) and they are very nice cars not too expensive and very soft wheel drive.....

it also depends what you want the car for......Focus are nice cars, the balancing and alignment are very fast to do and it will get your car back in condition besides keeping tires in good shape.....

moosmom
02-19-2007, 10:11 AM
I believe that's a sign that your front end needs aligning.