PDA

View Full Version : Older dog and young dog

Jakesmom
02-15-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure if behaviour is the appropriate place for this problem, but here goes.

We have two dogs, a 10 1/2 year old Golden, Jake, and a 2 year old English Cocker, Sophie. Jake has problems with arthritis and thoracic and lumbar disc disease. He is on "maximal medical management", including glucosamine, metacam, and acupuncture. With these therapies, he seems generally pretty comfortable, and when enthused about something (hike in woods, snow, swim) can really rally and run like a maniac for a short time.

The problem is, he is not enthused anymore about "regular" neighborhood walks. He looks like he just cant mount the energy to do it (his back legs are increasingly weak due to the disc disease), and he often refuses. For awhile I could deal with this by taking him for rides (he LOVES rides) to different neighborhoods and we would walk there. But now, we've pretty much used up the nearby neighborhoods (I think they have all reached boring status).

I would be fine with the above and just take him for walks when he wanted to go, and give him some enjoyment with rides, but Sophie is young and needs to walk and excercise. Which brings me to the real problem--when I take Sophie on a walk by herself, Jake gets upset--either comes running to the door like he wants to go (when I give in and take him, he prettty quickly poops out), or looks totally wounded.

I know part of the problem is that we have always done everything with both of them and (esp Jake, being here first) so they are confused when one gets left behind (though honestly, despite how spoiled she is, Sophie seems to take it better). I don't want to anthropomorphize them too much ;) but I was hoping someone might have some ideas about how to change the routine.

thanks

Jake's mom

Freedom
02-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Where I live, my back yard faces the field at the local middle school. I see folks come with two dogs, and start throwing the ball or a frisbee. One guy comes with a golf club and a ball and shots the ball for the dogs to chase. Both dogs start playing, eventually one sits down and waits till the other is tired out too. Sometimes the people drive over to have the dogs play.

Maybe that would help?

borzoimom
02-15-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm not sure if behaviour is the appropriate place for this problem, but here goes.

We have two dogs, a 10 1/2 year old Golden, Jake, and a 2 year old English Cocker, Sophie. Jake has problems with arthritis and thoracic and lumbar disc disease. He is on "maximal medical management", including glucosamine, metacam, and acupuncture. With these therapies, he seems generally pretty comfortable, and when enthused about something (hike in woods, snow, swim) can really rally and run like a maniac for a short time.

The problem is, he is not enthused anymore about "regular" neighborhood walks. He looks like he just cant mount the energy to do it (his back legs are increasingly weak due to the disc disease), and he often refuses. For awhile I could deal with this by taking him for rides (he LOVES rides) to different neighborhoods and we would walk there. But now, we've pretty much used up the nearby neighborhoods (I think they have all reached boring status).

I would be fine with the above and just take him for walks when he wanted to go, and give him some enjoyment with rides, but Sophie is young and needs to walk and excercise. Which brings me to the real problem--when I take Sophie on a walk by herself, Jake gets upset--either comes running to the door like he wants to go (when I give in and take him, he prettty quickly poops out), or looks totally wounded.

I know part of the problem is that we have always done everything with both of them and (esp Jake, being here first) so they are confused when one gets left behind (though honestly, despite how spoiled she is, Sophie seems to take it better). I don't want to anthropomorphize them too much ;) but I was hoping someone might have some ideas about how to change the routine.

thanks

Jake's mom
My boy Hottie is in the same boat. I just let him decide what he wants to do. He likes to see new things- but the 'same old same old' no interest. Thats fine with me- as long as he is happy. With these conditions, as you know, we have to take each day as it comes. Some days hottie is young- some days he acts old- I just take it as it comes. Hottie ran up the steps last week- something he hasnt done in several months- where as today, as you can see in the dog general- he is very unsure of himself- yes- the ice has something to do with it- but really= he is just having " one of his days.." Take it as it comes. If he wants to go fine- . You go anyway with the 2 year old, after a time or two of that he might want to come- but if he doesnt- leave him be.. We know if we had an illness if some days were too much for us- we need to respect the same in these conditions with the dogs.

Canis-Lupess
02-15-2007, 04:57 PM
I had this problem when my older dog was alive. She was 14 and suffered from arthritis like your golden and the other one was still 12 but with no arthritis and still quite fit and active for her age so I was torn between exercising Jess enough and not over-exercising Mist.

If you have somebody else to help you, maybe slightly overlapping the walks in some way, ie, bringing the young dog out of the back door as somebody else takes the older one into the front door after a little stroll for him or vice versa so that they don't see each other coming and going. He won't see her leave then and it might help.

I would just take Mist for a little stroll around the block first so she could do her business and just move her legs a bit and then I'd take our Jess for a longer walk afterwards. Mist had to be put to sleep at the end of January though so I only have Jess to worry about.

So, try and take your older dog just for a little stroll on the fronts to do his business and move his legs a bit then as you bring him in one door, have somebody else take the other out of the other door so they don't meet or see each other. The older dog will be blissfully unaware then that the younger dog has been taken out, lol. :D
If the other person can't actually exercise the dog for whatever reason, you can sort of swap places again outside once the older dog is inside and the other person come back inside whilst you resume on your longer walk with the younger dog.

I thought ideas I came up with might help you out.