PDA

View Full Version : The Shredder!

freckledimple
02-10-2007, 10:52 AM
I have a 5 month old mixed breed pup. He was a dump baby :( He's mostly an outdoor doggy, but on cold nights we bring him in and put him in the bathroom. We give him food, water, blanket, piddle pads, and a couple chew toys. The problem is with the piddle pads. Instead of peeing on them, he shreds them to teen-tiny pieces; and then pees in the corner. What can we do to prevent the pad shredding? Please help. Thank you.

Canis-Lupess
02-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Provide him with some newspaper in the corner where he pees and also provide a piddle pad for him to shred, lol, so he isn't as likely to shred the newspaper.

Another thing would be to try putting something not so nice tasting on the piddle pad like bitter apple and use a trigger scent like some very diluted cheap perfume that he learns to associate with the nasty taste of bitter apple.
That way, once he's learnt that the smell of the perfume is a prelude to the nasty taste, he'll not want to touch whatever he can smell it on and you can just use the perfume alone and not even have to put the bitter apple on it.

catnapper
02-10-2007, 10:02 PM
They sell frames to put around the pee pad so pups can't chew it.

I'd personally skip the piddle pad and crate him in the appropriate size crate.

freckledimple
02-10-2007, 11:17 PM
We have one of those collapsable crates made w/canvas and screen; but he tore it. There is a good reason he's an outdoor doggy :D He's very smart and sweet, just destructive indoors; pure mutt puppy.

catnapper
02-11-2007, 08:03 AM
Most puppies will tear through collapsable crates. Most puppies are destruction machines. Its up to us to teach him the rules of politeness and proper behavior. Don't rely on simply tossing your puppy outside because he's destructive. (you toss him outside because he's destructive indoors then you are surprised he turns around and shreds a plastic pads?) Sorry if I sound sarcastic, but do you know how many people I talk to on a daily basis who ask for advice then turn around and ignore it because they aren't prepared to actually follow through? They want an answer but don't want to take the time and energy to make the solution work. I just got the feeling from you that you wanted an answer to shredding pads but don't want to do more work than dealing with the potty pad issue.... but the potty pad is a symptom of the whole puppy.

critter crazy
02-11-2007, 08:06 AM
You keep the puppy outside the majority of the time, and then wonder why he chews things, and pees in the house. This dog is 5 months old, should be indoors, and be potty trained by now. He was dumped, as you said, but as far as I can tell is still being dumped, by being outside all the time. JMO!

freckledimple
02-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I live with and take care of my grandparents(88 & 89), and they will not allow a big dog puppy indoors all the time. They only allow small animals indoors. The only reason they will allow him in during cold nights is because he is a puppy. If this were my home he would be an indoor/outdoor dog, but I have to respect their wishes. I go outside and play with him and give him attention several times a day. He also has a nice big yard to run in and a very nice dog house, and plenty of toys. I cannot go back to my own home until I am finished here. I don't punish him for his behavior, I am only looking for a solution. I came here seeking advice, not criticism; and I would appreciate judgement being withheld if the whole situation is not known.

Canis-Lupess
02-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I agree that people shouldn't jump down somebody elses neck too quick just because they keep their dogs outdoors.

Many breeders of dogs who have a larger number of dogs keep their dogs outdoors in kennels etc...because there are just too many to have in the house. You can't call them bad dog owners just because they don't keep them indoors. As long as they go out and give them lots of attention in the day. At night, it makes no difference because, in my opinion, dogs should spend the night alone in their own space, not in the same bed as their owners. This can create over attachment and seperation anxiety, not to mention the dominance issues associated with the dog being allowed into such an important area as on the master bed.

I have to keep mine outdoors because I live with the parents who will not for anything allow them inside except at bonfire and new year because of the fireworks. If I could afford my own place, I would have them in a bit more to spend more time with me but there is nothing I can do about that so I can understand where freckledimple is coming from on this one.

Like her, I do go out and see to them several times a day. I take Jess for 3 or 4 walks each day and she's currently living in the car port next to the house and I bring her into the porch for shorter periods too which is attached to the kitchen because, since Mist died, I hate leaving her alone in the run and she has a light in the car port too for when it gets dark and my stepdad is often out there doing DIY jobs (his work shed is sort of inside the carport) in the daytime so she has him around too.

sprokett
02-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree that people shouldn't jump down somebody elses neck too quick just because they keep their dogs outdoors.

Many breeders of dogs who have a larger number of dogs keep their dogs outdoors in kennels etc...because there are just too many to have in the house. You can't call them bad dog owners just because they don't keep them indoors. As long as they go out and give them lots of attention in the day. At night, it makes no difference because, in my opinion, dogs should spend the night alone in their own space, not in the same bed as their owners. This can create over attachment and seperation anxiety, not to mention the dominance issues associated with the dog being allowed into such an important area as on the master bed.

I have to keep mine outdoors because I live with the parents who will not for anything allow them inside except at bonfire and new year because of the fireworks. If I could afford my own place, I would have them in a bit more to spend more time with me but there is nothing I can do about that so I can understand where freckledimple is coming from on this one.

Like her, I do go out and see to them several times a day. I take Jess for 3 or 4 walks each day and she's currently living in the car port next to the house and I bring her into the porch for shorter periods too which is attached to the kitchen because, since Mist died, I hate leaving her alone in the run and she has a light in the car port too for when it gets dark and my stepdad is often out there doing DIY jobs (his work shed is sort of inside the carport) in the daytime so she has him around too.

i agree 150%
dogs should not spend the night with theyre owners because of the same reason canislupess

sprokett
02-26-2007, 10:17 AM
and why is everybody jumping down freckledimple's neck?????

critter crazy
02-26-2007, 10:22 AM
All I am trying to say, is at 5 months old the dog should be potty trained. But being outside, it is hard to potty train a dog. Obviously he is not going to know what to do with potty pads, if he is only allowed to come in once in a while. Training is needed. You cannot expect a dog to just automatically know what to do. they have to be trained.

gwen
02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm no expert on dogs but from a purely emotional instinctive reaction I really dont know why people get dogs and keep them outside, my next door neighbours has two and they are permanently outside and when I see them they seem so sad, my dog would be bereft if I left him outside, when he does go in the garden after about 10 minutes he is peering through the window desperate to be let back in. I got my dog to be part of my family, and we live in the house so why wouldn't he? I dont baby my dog and I have 4 children so I dont in anyway confuse him for a child but still, it just seems wrong if he were exiled, no matter how much time you spend in the garden with the dog ultimately you are going to return to the comfort of your home. It just doesnt seem right.

sprokett
02-26-2007, 12:24 PM
All I am trying to say, is at 5 months old the dog should be potty trained. But being outside, it is hard to potty train a dog. Obviously he is not going to know what to do with potty pads, if he is only allowed to come in once in a while. Training is needed. You cannot expect a dog to just automatically know what to do. they have to be trained.

i understand he is 5 months old and yes he should be trained but he
hasnt exactly had the best start in life being dumped has he??
but you can say "all im a trying to say ,is at 5 months old the dog should be potty trained" so what if he is outside as long as he get's plenty of exercise and play he will be fine it is just the same being inside or out whilst potty training.And no the dog will not know w/out being trained ,but does not mean you have to jump down freckledimple's throat