PDA

View Full Version : Update on Noah

noahmason
06-26-2002, 09:32 AM
Thanks again everyone for your prayers, it really helped :) Well, Noah is going to be okay!!! We're waiting on the results of the blood test, but his heart looks normal on the ultrasound - so they think it is an overactive thyroid. I guess it is a very treatable disease. My question for all of you now is...there is an option of radioactive iodine ($1000!!!!) or a pill for the rest of his life. Has any of you done either if these and can give me some insight into how it all works - pros and cons?? He needs to get treated asap because his heart rate is over 300bpm. My poor baby!!! Thanks again :)

tatsxxx11
06-26-2002, 10:24 AM
I'm so glad to hear Noah's heart is fine!!:) Another PT member, Mollymc, has a kitty with hyperthyroidism. Here's some info. on the condition and treatments from the Vetinfo. website! Hugs and kisses to Noah!!

Hyperthyroidism in Cats

Hyperthyroidism is the most common hormonal disease of cats. The overproduction of thyroid hormone can be the result of hyperplasia (increased activity of the gland for unknown reasons) or cancer. A small percentage of the cancers are malignant. This disease was not commonly recognized prior to the late 1970s. The reason for the increase in prevalence is not known.

Hyperthyroidism affects older cats most commonly. It is seen occasionally in cats as young as 4 years of age. The clinical signs include weight loss, increased activity, increased appetite, vomiting or diarrhea, increased vocalization, increased drinking and increased urination. In some cats, the disorder produces atypical signs such as depression, inappetance or weakness.

The increase in thyroid hormone causes the cat's heart to beat faster, often > 240 beats per minute. Heart murmurs may be present. Heart failure will occur in up to 10% of cats and heart damage occurs in most, although it is usually reversible with treatment of the hyperthyroidism. The haircoat may look scruffy. Enlarged thyroid glands may be found. Effects on the kidneys from the circulatory changes can make existing kidney disease worse or cause the appearance of kidney disease in some cats.

Diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease and other conditions that also affect older cats need to be ruled out prior to settling on a diagnosis of hyperthyroidism, even if tests indicate it is present.

Testing for hyperthyroidism is done by measuring the T4 (one thyroid hormone) levels in the blood stream. In most cats with hyperthyroidism, these levels will be above normal. In some cats, they will be in the "normal" range, despite the presence of the disease. This is particularly true of very old cats. In these cats, repeating the test in a week or so is often diagnostic. If not, more specialized testing must be done, such as T3 (another thyroid hormone) suppression tests or thyroid releasing hormone (TRH) testing.

There are currently three commonly used treatments for this problem. Surgery, radioactive iodine therapy and medical treatment using methimazole (Tapazole <rx>).

Medical treatment may be effective long term if the cat is compliant about taking pills and no side effects occur. It is not uncommon to see side effects from methimazole, which can include anemia and decreased platelet numbers. Most side effects occur within the first month. Medical treatment is less costly in the short run but over the lifetime of the cat, it may be more expensive than alternative methods of treating for this problem.

Surgery is an effective procedure in most cats. There is a higher than normal risk of complications with surgery on the thyroid gland, due to the parathyroid glands in the region. These glands control calcium regulation in the body and they are easily damaged during surgery. Death can result if calcium levels drop sufficiently. Therefore, calcium levels should be carefully monitored for a week if both of the thyroid glands are affected.

Radioactive iodine therapy is probably the best combination of safety and efficiency for treatment of hyperthyroidism. It is effective in about 90% of cats, no surgery or anesthesia is required and the parathyroid glands are not affected. For patients in which the daily administration of pills is undesirable this is the best method of treatment. The major disadvantage to this therapy is the required isolation of the cat at a treatment facility for 7 to 14 days following the administration of the radioactive iodine, due to safety concerns.

In older cats, this disease is common enough that routine screening is considered to be necessary by many veterinarians. Due to the potential for numerous secondary complications, such as heart disease and digestive problems, early diagnosis is a good idea. Consider asking your vet about tests for hyperthyroidism if your cat is over 10 years of age.

Mike Richards, DVM

noahmason
06-26-2002, 12:35 PM
thanks!! it was very helpful

NoahsMommy
06-26-2002, 12:46 PM
Poor little guy....I am glad they found what it is and now you can get started with whatever treatment you choose. I don't know about these treatments...that first one sure looks expensive, are the pills better? Does Noah take pills willingly?

He's in my prayers....

noahmason
06-26-2002, 12:53 PM
Nah, Noah's not too keen on pills - and every single day for the rest of his life - I don't know if I could handle that!! :eek:

NoahsMommy
06-26-2002, 01:06 PM
If your Noah is anything like my Noah....that should prove to be hard...I was trying to give him his Laxatone last night...he would have NOTHING to do with it....so I cut up the left over chicken from dinner and put some in there...I even gave Noel some first so he'd be READY for that chicken....nope....wouldn't touch it...:rolleyes:

My Noah sends your sweet Noah head bumpies.... :)

krazyaboutkatz
06-27-2002, 12:04 AM
I'm so glad to here that Noah's heart is normal. I don't know anything about hyperthyroidism either. At least it's treatable and you have several options to choose from. Good luck. Please keep us posted about your decision.:)

Miss Meow
06-27-2002, 05:38 AM
That's such good news about Noah. I'm so glad it's a treatable condition - you must be so relieved.

Can you get a pill popper to help dispense pills, if that's the course you take? We have a plastic syringe-like thing where you pop the tablet in, into the cat's mouth and push the handle. No getting fingers bitten off!

06-27-2002, 08:25 AM
miss Meow , where did you get that syringue for pills ??? Have never heard or seen that before !! That might be very useful here , as it is quite possible that Sydney will need a pill a day too , for his heart !!

As to Noah : glad to hear your disease is treatable !! Good luck to you !!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
06-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Glad to hear Noah's heart is ok. I know hyperthyroidism is kind of common in cats, but I've never dealt with it, or known anyone who has, so unfortunately I can't be of much help there. It's just good to know that he has a treatable condition and that you caught it in time. A pill a day for the rest of his life might not sound too pleasant, but it's really not that bad. Tubby gets his daily dose. He doesn't like it one bit, but if I have anything to say about it, that's just too darn bad for Tubby. ;) And for now Peanut gets one a day too. It's easier to give her pills over Tubby, but I think it's just because she is more gullible. The pill is over in a second and then she gets her coveted treats. ;)

But really, it's not that bad. Both Tubby and I have learned how to make the process easier, and if cooperates and sits still for a second, it's over before he knows it, and he gets a treat too. :) However, after reading about this, it sounds like the iodine treatment might be the way to go because it's a one-time thing and it's over with - even though it is costly.

Good luck with whichever decision you make. Tubby sends head bumpies and Peanut sends chin scritchies.

Miss Meow
06-27-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by lut
miss Meow , where did you get that syringue for pills ??? Have never heard or seen that before !! That might be very useful here , as it is quite possible that Sydney will need a pill a day too , for his heart !!

Hi Lut, I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if it's an Australian thing - but I'll take a photo on the weekend and post it so you can have a look. I think you can get them at vet surgeries. Mini was on several pills a day before and after his heart surgery and is a right terror - before we got the pill popper we had to wrap him in a towel and still ended up with cuts on our hands, arms and faces!

BTW, your web album is gorgeous. I just love the pics of Sydney!

krazyaboutkatz
06-27-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by lut

As to Noah : glad to hear your disease is treatable !! Good luck to you !!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/sydneybilliepets Hi Lut. When Pepper had to take some pills, I got the pill syringe from my Vet. You should ask your Vet about it. He had to take 3 different kinds of pills so I was able to put all 3 of them in the syringe so I only had to put it in his mouth once. It worked very well because he hates pills.

yorkster
06-28-2002, 06:59 PM
Nahmason, I have something you might want to consider:

I have a cat (Kedi) that was diagnosed with a bad heart last March. :( He is now on 2 types of heart meds, twice a day. He feels great which is of course good! :)
The problem is this: We can't be gone for more than about a 12 hour period because of the meds he HAS to take. One time we went skiing and were gone longer than expected because of driving conditions, etc. By the time we got home, he was already acting sickly. :eek:
Last month we went to the ocean for a few days, and therefore had to board both the kitties at $14.00 EACH. They also charge you for dispensing the meds! That was an additional $5.00 a day. They of course are closed on Sundays, so it was 4 days of service. The total was $132.00! That's alot for us, especially since we like to take off for short trips quite often.
If I had the option to have a one-time procedure done and not have to do the meds everyday, I would do that for sure! It's not an option for his condition though.
It's something to think about, I believe.
Good luck with whatever you decide and let us know. :)