PDA

View Full Version : my puppy loves eating soil

cfuh
06-24-2002, 10:27 AM
Does anyone have any experiences or advice for a 3mos lab mix eating soil??? She loves the stuff and I can't seem to get her to stop. Thanks!

:confused: :eek:

pupper-lover
06-24-2002, 10:40 AM
My golden loved to eat soil as a pup. He also loved and still loves to to eat everything else. This weekend, he decided to try sand (yuck). It is part of learning. If you don't want your pup to eat soil, you need to treat the situation like any other undesirable behavior, with appropriate discipline and distraction from the "forbidden" behavior. If this soil is fertilized, you definately need to stop the behavior, for the puppy's safety. If your puppy is just digging and burying his nose, not really eating mass quanities of dirt, you may want to designate an area for him/her to do this. My dog outgrew the soil eating obsession. He still loves to dig, but only were he's allowed.

Sorry, I don't have an instant solution. I'm sure someone else will respond with some better solutions. Have fun with your new pup. They grow up so fast!

mugsy
06-24-2002, 05:36 PM
Ours eat dirt all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've been mud slimed by one of the Danes!

anna_66
06-25-2002, 07:41 AM
Keisha used to always eat dirt, she'd even eat it out of my plants if I didn't keep an eye on her! And she'd eat alot not just a little. Also she would dig small holes in the yard (only 1 or 2) and her and Angus both would eat the dirt from the hole. Guess there was something they needed:rolleyes: I never really understood!

Presley
06-25-2002, 04:33 PM
Presley ate soil.. I don't keep any plants low anymore except one and it is covered in bitter apple now. I called the vet about it, I thought it was a mineral or vitamin lack and he said it wasn't that it is something most dogs do and it is normal. But Presley soon started to Dig in my house plants!!! One big mess everywhere! She wont go near the one she can get to anymore.