PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell the sex of a 6 week old puppy?

kittycats_delight
01-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Basically guys the question is exactly the title. I wanted to find out the sex of a 6 week old puppy and I don't know how. Can anyone direct me to pics or tell me?

Thanks
Michelle

GreyhoundGirl
01-27-2007, 09:32 AM
umm... I've never seen a 6 week old puppy... but wouldn't you find out the same way you would an older dog?

Canis-Lupess
01-27-2007, 09:33 AM
It's easy. The male will have a little penis that is much further forward. When he lays on his back, it almost looks like it is on his tummy.

A little bitch will have the vulva which is much further back nearer to her anal opening and easier to see from the back if you lift her tail. The vulva is sort of pointed at the end and wider at the base and has a slit running down it.

The penis on a puppy often has some hairs growing from the end of it.

Hope this helps.

borzoimom
01-27-2007, 09:33 AM
I know you are kidding- but I will help.. A male puppy is born with a penis- ie on the belly- a female is not..

kittycats_delight
01-27-2007, 09:41 AM
No actually I am not kidding. We were looking at so puppies today. And they all looked to be male. The had what appeared to be a penis with hairs coming from the tip I was pretty well sure they were male but the shelter worker looked and was not sure. First she thought maybe yes they were male then she thought no they were female. So she got me questioning myself too. SO I figured I would ask just to be sure.

I have not had or been around a puppy so young and of course it is much easier when they are older. I should have taken a pic: :p I know I sound like a dummy but the youngest dog we ever had was 6 months old. So I figured I would ask.

Anyway just to let you all know as well. We are adopting a puppy. He appears to be (and we were told by the shelter) a newf X. He just arrived today and we will have to wait awhile before he can come home. Definately 2 weeks maybe longer. When the shelter director comes back on Monday they will let us know.

borzoimom
01-27-2007, 09:41 AM
they are males- females do not have that..

borzoimom
01-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Here is zubin uh showing uh what he has..

kittycats_delight
01-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks. That's what I thought to begin with but the shelter worker had me all confused. I guess I should trust my instincts more.

kittycats_delight
01-27-2007, 10:03 AM
The picture of Zubin showing off his goods is very cute. I thought it maybe harder to tell when they are real little. I know how to tell when they are not itty bitty. But I thought it was somewhat not so evident when they were tiny.

borzoimom
01-27-2007, 10:48 AM
If it comes out of the belly- its a male.. Much easier than cats..

chocolatepuppy
01-27-2007, 11:06 AM
A newf X? I'm green with envy. ;) Can't wait to see 'him'. :D

Canis-Lupess
01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Pups are really easy to sex right from being born.

I bet the pups were all male because if there had been females, the difference would have been obvious to anyone. I'm surprised that the shelter worked didn't even know how to sex puppies. Maybe it is something they should be trained to do when working in such a place. After all, they have to rehome dogs and they can't do a good job if they don't even know whether a pup is a dog or a bitch.

k9krazee
01-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Anyway just to let you all know as well. We are adopting a puppy. He appears to be (and we were told by the shelter) a newf X. He just arrived today and we will have to wait awhile before he can come home. Definately 2 weeks maybe longer. When the shelter director comes back on Monday they will let us know.

How exciting Michelle!!!!! :D :D :D I can't wait to see pictures!!

Taz_Zoee
01-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Congrats on getting a new puppy!! That is so exciting! Do you have a name for him/her, or does the puppy already have a name? Boy or girl? Sorry, I'll stop asking so many questions and just wait. LOL :) I am not a very patient person. ;)

luvofallhorses
01-27-2007, 01:30 PM
the shelter worker SHOULD know how to tell the gender. you would think they would. It is easy to tell the gender of a dog..you can see the testicles if you look on his behind. and if you can't see testicles then it's a girl. :) are they adopting out 6 week puppies, though? :confused: I am excited for you and can't wait to see him or her! :)

kittycats_delight
01-27-2007, 02:30 PM
OK to answer a few questions.

Thinking he is just that a male he will be called Bjørn(norwegian for bear) if a female(I don't think so) then I have no idea what her name will be. When we hear from the shelter directer I will find out for sure. The worker said she can usually tell but was unsure with this guys. :confused: This pup was not the first one we had choosen. We went and seen a cutie patootie border collie X and put in our request for him. He is 3 months old. But about 1.5 hours after we got home we got a call saying there had been some confusion and he was already spoken for. So once his wait period was over in about 1 week he would be going to the home of the couple that found him abandoned.

She told us they had just abaout 20 minutes before got in a litter of puppies. If we could come and have a look. So we went and there were 4 puppies. 3 are lab x but there was one that was hiding that was twice the size and obviously not from the same litter. He is Bjørn. The newf x. I seen him sticking his little head out around the bed and fell in love. I picked him up and he cuddled right in to my neck. That was it...addicted. So we spent some time with them and decided on him.

Seeing they only came in today there will be a 10 wait before the municiple sign him over. They are doing a police investigation and trying to find the person that abandoned him. This is standard procedure with all abandoned and abused animals. After the investigation then the municiple signs off and he is released to the shelter. The shelter will then get him his vaccines and dewormed...all that fun stuff and after 5 days he can be released to us. But seeing he is just 6 weeks old it maybe longer than 2 weeks. We will have to find that out from the director.

I think that covers everything. Just let me know if I missed something.

BTW: there was an amazing staffie there. Owner relinquished by an american soldier. The soldier was being discharged and going home so he released him to the shelter. His name is Romeo. MY GOD...what a beauty. Adult of 3 years old. Somewhat aggressive(territorial). He does not like men. I guess the soldier wasn't very nice to him. But when I called him by name and started talking to him he was very sweet. As long as my husband was not in sight. If I did not have cats I am pretty sure I would have taken him. And there was also a beauty girl there. A rottie her name was Nilus. She had some social issues(other animals) but was an absolute sweetheart. She is extremely underweight. They are trying to get some weight on her. But she was just phenomenal.

Oh how I love the big babies. :D

Taylorbay
01-27-2007, 02:31 PM
any pics yet? ooh I want to see the newf :D

kittycats_delight
01-27-2007, 02:34 PM
No pics yet. It probably be a little while. Sorry. But I promise I will get some as soon as I can. :D

rg_girlca
01-27-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh Michelle, I'm so excited for you. I just LOVE Newfies. They are GORGEOUS. What a very nice surprise. :) I can't wait to see pictures of the little one. :D

Felicia's Mom
01-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Congrats on your new arrivial.:D

krazyaboutkatz
01-27-2007, 04:06 PM
Congrats Michelle!!!:D He sounds adorable.:)

catmandu
01-27-2007, 05:38 PM
THAT WILL BE EXCITING FOR YOUR CATS TO HAVE A PUPPY TO PLAY WITH, AND TRAIN.
IS IT JUST ME OR WILL A NEWFIE X WILL BE A FAIRLY BIG PUPPY?
ALL THAT MORE TO LOVE!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/cats101372.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/cats101368.jpg

kittycats_delight
01-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks everyone it is so sweet that you are all excited for me. :)

THAT WILL BE EXCITING FOR YOUR CATS TO HAVE A PUPPY TO PLAY WITH, AND TRAIN.
IS IT JUST ME OR WILL A NEWFIE X WILL BE A FAIRLY BIG PUPPY?
ALL THAT MORE TO LOVE!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/new%20photos/cats101372.jpg
Definately will be a big puppy Gary. Vixen doesn't like little dogs much. They scare her. Go figure. She has always been around big dogs since she was 5 weeks old. She has actually befriended the landlords dog which is a collie. We love big dogs here and you are right. More to love for sure. :D