PDA

View Full Version : lotion on a cat

Zoey&Mandy
11-04-2006, 11:44 PM
is it okay to put lotion on a cats paw pad? my cats paws are dry/cracked. i wanna put lotion on it to make it uncracked

libby22
11-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I was wondering the exact same thing today! Lucifer's feet are so dry!

fragrancehound
11-05-2006, 10:47 PM
I would be very cautious about using lotion on animals that is meant for humans. It could make them sick if they lick it off. There are a few products on the market called paw wax at least I think that is the name that is made specifically for animals.

Zoey&Mandy
11-06-2006, 01:36 AM
well u think jus usin a fragrance free lotion would be fine?

critters
11-06-2006, 04:48 AM
A little petrolem jelly should be fine.

Barbara
11-06-2006, 05:22 AM
You'll have to expect that the cat licks its paws after you applied whatever- so I would never put anything that cats cannot eat- fragrance free would not be enough for me.

I suppose a little olive oil would be ok.

Freedom
11-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Why not just phone your vet for info? At my vet office, the techs who answer the phone are a wealth of information!

When Amber burned his paw pads on the hot sidewalk one summer, they did give me some ointment to put on to help the healing. But for dryness, I don't think you will need to go in and spend money for a visit. And most likely, there IS something you can get "over the counter," so I would just call and ask.

I agree wtih earlier comments. Fragrance free is not enough. Cats are always grooming themselves, and anything added to a paw is going to get licked off. So it needs to be "edible" for felines. This is the same reason you can NOT use dog products on cats. All items need to be specifically for cat use.

Let us know what you use!

fragrancehound
11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
When Panther had his stitches removed the technician said it was ok to use a little vitamin E. A little olive oil would be ok too. He said NOT to use Neosporin or anything similar because that would make him vomit. It really is best to contact your vet to see what is acceptable.

MajesticCollies
11-06-2006, 12:14 PM
A groomer would know of a product. They have pad lotion all the time. Ask your local groomer.

libby22
11-06-2006, 03:15 PM
I posted this question on another cat forum I am a member of. One lady replied saying her cats lick most things off, she likes to mix vaseline with a little bitter apple spray. Which makes it makes cats paws soft, but awful tasting so they don't lick it off.