PDA

View Full Version : Banning Novelty Socks :P

Miss Z
10-26-2006, 03:35 AM
Yep, you read that right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/6084634.stm

I saw this on the news yesterday, at first it made me laugh, but now it just seems plain crazy. I agree that doctors and nurses should not wear tattoos, excessive make-up or have odd hairstyles, but socks? I'm sure no-one would really look at socks anyway, and if they did, at least it brings a little humour into a time when most people feel stressed and worried.

And really, I think the NHS should concentrate on spending its money on the patients.

Killearn Kitties
10-26-2006, 05:50 AM
I'm fairly ambivalent about the story. While I dislike the over-protective control freakery we are being subjected to at the moment, neither would I like to be told that I had a terminal degenerative illness by someone whose socks were playing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. The Trust's Director of Clinical Care said they would adopt a common sense approach, and if that is the case, I don't see a particular problem with it.

The trouble with expecting people to make up their own minds about what is professional dress, is that people's ideas of that can vary wildly. Then as soon as guidelines are given, people become outraged about what they can't wear, even though they had no intention of doing so. :D

catnapper
10-26-2006, 09:33 AM
LOL - is this for real?

I have plenty of novelty socks for work. Paw prints, bones, cats, etc. I try to wear the ones that are tan or black to go with my pants or shoes, but if I have my longer pants on I'll wear my bright pink ones of my favorite purple striped ones with the bright yellow bones! :D

But I feel I can get away with it because I'm training dogs and I use a lot of humor in my classes. Now I'd never wear any of my novelty socks for a design meeting.... well, not never. I have some very pretty trouser socks covered in cats. But you have to look veeeeerrryyyy closely to notice that I have cats chasing mice all over them ;) I'd definately never wear my brightly colored novelty socks to a design meeting.

Corinna
10-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Boy oh boy we have a lot of pet talkers who would be in trouble.

RICHARD
10-26-2006, 11:21 AM
:rolleyes: Oh boy,

Here I go....

A few years back, at a sister facility of ours, they had to come out with a "dress code" for nurses and doctors.

To start out with....Every employer has te right to expect their employees to "dress' professionally.

One gal I knew was send home for wearing a sweat pant kind of bottom and her daiughter's belly shirt.

She wondered why!

(Thiis is a medical /hospital enviroment)

The memeo that was sent out was very specific-to the point of being obnoxious.

No giant nails-no airbrushing or naal jewelry.
no more than two rings-on both hands
no more than on bracelet.
no belley shirts-the piecred belly button craze was just in at the time.
no colored/printed underwear under white pants.
(Now, I don't know about you, but a nice thong under see thru white pants
make a catheter not a pleasant experience :rolleyes: )
Tattoos/and faicial piercings were frowned upon.
Hair had to be no more that two colors.
no fish net stockings
skirts had to be of an apporpriate length-that and a garter shot wasn't bad at all.
(Another Bug up my rear, a crotch shot, while getting an injection can distract you from that pain -- double :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )

I know these things do not have any bearing on how you do your job, but there is a public perception about the way you dress.

------------------------------------

My personal favorite was the Viictoria's secret underwire sheer bra ane the white blouse.

"For god's sake, they are only BREASTS!", sayeth the offender!

It was the endless stream of male co-workers who would come into the back of the office to see what the "outfit du jour" was.

It got to be a real hoot to be in the cafeteria and asked, "Hey, what does look like/what is XXXXX wearing today?"

"The forecast is Clear and cold, with slight exposure when XXXXXX bends over to pick things up.."

When you HAVE to be told to dress professionally, you are in trouble. :eek:

moosmom
10-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Personally, I think that novelty socks would cheer up any patient in a hospital setting. What's the big deal? As far as the other dress code issues, I think I'd feel a little weird being treated by a resident, doctor or nurse covered in tattoos, piercings and multi-colored hair. But that's just me. To each his own.

Karen
10-26-2006, 10:20 PM
I think that most people would not notice anyone's socks.

I think most who actually notice might be cheered by "novelty socks" as long as they were g-rated. Yes, I love my turtle socks, my Christmas socks, I even have patriotic fuzzy socks for election day in November!

So I am not exactly an unbiased person.

RICHARD
10-26-2006, 11:24 PM
I even have patriotic fuzzy socks for election day in November!

So I am not exactly an unbiased person.

Hmmm, Left and Right socks? Do you vote twice? :confused:

Karen
10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Hmmm, Left and Right socks? Do you vote twice? :confused:

I only vote once, and no, the socks aren't partisan, each will go on whatever foot I decide to put 'em on. When I received them as a gift, I figured they must be for election day, as any of the other flag-waving-type holidays are in weather far too warm for fuzzy socks, even in Massachusetts!

Lady's Human
10-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Wouldn't left and right socks cancel each other out on election day, making neither exist statistically?

Karen
10-28-2006, 12:29 AM
Wouldn't left and right socks cancel each other out on election day, making neither exist statistically?

They both go into the booth with me, but as I vote using my hands, just standing on my feet, they don't have any influence on the vote itself.

Twisterdog
10-29-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm fairly ambivalent about the story. While I dislike the over-protective control freakery we are being subjected to at the moment, neither would I like to be told that I had a terminal degenerative illness by someone whose socks were playing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

I agree. If you are working in the pediatrics ward, the kids would probably like socks playing Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. But, I agree, don't come into my room in those socks to tell me I've got six months. Common sense.