PDA

View Full Version : Missing Front Teeth

kohala
10-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Any ideas why a 3 to 5 year old cat would be missing front teeth? I just noticed my rescued cat has only one little tooth on the bottom and there are spaces between the four on top: three, gap, one. Still has very health fangs, tho! From the field report I got with him he may have been tossed from a car (gag - makes me sick to think of it!), yet would that take out the little teeth?
Fortunate for him he's a cat; it would be quite the smile if he were human :p .
I never noticed Grasshopper ever losing teeth, even in her final days when she was very elderly and ill.

???

(I'll introduce him as soon as I get pictures - His name is Spencer. He's a lynx point Siamese mix, so I'm told.)

Barbara
10-24-2006, 05:13 AM
Hi Kohala, nice to see you back- and I can't wait to see Spencer. He has some big paws (Grasshopper's....) to walk in but I am glad he got a purrfect PT home after what he's been through.

I'm sorry I don't have an idea why he might have lost his teeth. Filou has lost a fang within his first 3 years- no idea how it went, it just was gone one day and the vet said it fell out quite completely. But Spencer still has his fangs.

So the good thing is a cat smile doesn't show too many teeth. :)

krazyaboutkatz
10-24-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't know why he may have lost his teeth but I'm looking forward to being able to meet him soon.:) My Pearl is also a Lynx Point Siamese Mix. He is very vocal? My Pearly girl sure is.:)

Laura's Babies
10-24-2006, 12:14 PM
There is no telling what happened to his teeth... If only they could talk!

Can't wait to meet him so hurry with the pictures!

smokey the elder
10-24-2006, 02:17 PM
You might want your vet to check for stomatitis, where a cat is allergic to his own teeth (!) Is he FIV-negative? FIV+ cats often develop stomatitis.

critters
10-24-2006, 04:14 PM
He might have a tooth disease like FORL, feline odontoclastic resorptive lesions. It's pretty common, and 25% of my monsters have it (young and old).

kohala
10-24-2006, 10:23 PM
I think I'll get him back to the vet's in a little bit, after I've gotten to know him a little better, and thoroughly inspected him both mentally and physically.
I'm collecting info on him for her, and I'll add the dental conditions you mentioned. Thank you!! He looks a lot like KAK's Pearl. I have to remember we've only been together a short time; he's so affectionate I feel like I've known him for years!