PDA

View Full Version : Peej *Surgery update*

PJ's Mom
10-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I know it's been awhile since I posted much of anything, but I still lurk almost everyday and thought that some of you might like to know the latest on Peej and his "boo boo" eye.

His eye doctor and I decided last month that it's best for Peej to get off the steroids he's been on to keep his eye under control. So, this Friday he will have his left eye removed. It's supposed to be a fairly easy procedure...he'll go in at 9:00am and be home by 2:00pm. He'll have to be kept quiet for a week or so to let the incision heal.

I keep telling myself that he's not using the eye anyway (he's now 95% blind), and that it looks really bad and that he'll be better off without it.

That doesn't keep me from getting sad when I think about him losing it. :(

Please pray for my boy and I'll try to get some pics posted as soon as I can.

k9krazee
10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Awwww! Of course we'll keep Peej in our thoughts!! Glad to see ya post ;)

chocolatepuppy
10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
It's nice to hear from you. I'm sorry Peej has to lose his eye. I will keep him in my prayers that everything goes well. I miss seeing Peej. Please keep us updated. :)

borzoimom
10-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi everyone,

I know it's been awhile since I posted much of anything, but I still lurk almost everyday and thought that some of you might like to know the latest on Peej and his "boo boo" eye.

His eye doctor and I decided last month that it's best for Peej to get off the steroids he's been on to keep his eye under control. So, this Friday he will have his left eye removed. It's supposed to be a fairly easy procedure...he'll go in at 9:00am and be home by 2:00pm. He'll have to be kept quiet for a week or so to let the incision heal.

I keep telling myself that he's not using the eye anyway (he's now 95% blind), and that it looks really bad and that he'll be better off without it.

That doesn't keep me from getting sad when I think about him losing it. :(

Please pray for my boy and I'll try to get some pics posted as soon as I can.
I will put your baby in prayer. I am not sure what happened, but I trust my vet, and I am sure you trust yours as well... !

Kfamr
10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Dawn, I was just refreshing PT one more time before going to bed, just about turned my monitor off and then saw the name "Peej" in the index.

It's so great to hear from you and I have been wondering how everyone is doing?

I'm sure Peej will do fine and will certainly adjust to it well as his vision wasn't great in that eye to begin with. I will be thinking of the both of you tomorrow - stay strong for your boy!

Hugs to all of you....

Kay

PJ's Mom
10-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

Kay, it's great to see you. I'm surprised you still have time to post with everything going on. :) Thank God Kiara was found safe and sound. Give all your babies hugs and kisses from me. :)

As promised, here are some pics.

Peej and his boo boo eye...

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/meiglan/Picture007.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/meiglan/Picture003.jpg

and of course Bailey is dropping in too. ;)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/meiglan/Picture006.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/meiglan/Picture004.jpg

That's all for now. :)

borzoimom
10-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Pooooooooooor baby!!! In prayer for sure but I am sure he will feel better after the operation.

borzoimom
10-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Dawn, I was just refreshing PT one more time before going to bed, just about turned my monitor off and then saw the name "Peej" in the index.

It's so great to hear from you and I have been wondering how everyone is doing?

I'm sure Peej will do fine and will certainly adjust to it well as his vision wasn't great in that eye to begin with. I will be thinking of the both of you tomorrow - stay strong for your boy!

Hugs to all of you....

Kay
Did you loose your baby? I am sorry- I dont know but HALLELUIA!!! LOL..

Tollers-n-Dobes
10-23-2006, 11:00 PM
I was so happy to see a post from you, Dawn! I've missed seeing you, Peej, and Bailey around.

I'm sure Peej will be just fine and will adjust extremely easily. :)
Good luck! Please try to update as as to how he's doing afterwards.

shais_mom
10-23-2006, 11:20 PM
awww poor Peej!
I hope he feels better soon! And hugs all around

luvofallhorses
10-23-2006, 11:24 PM
It's so good to hear from you, Dawn! :) I will pray that Peej will be okay with one eye. I know how hard it must be on you. (((HUGS))) your babies are beautiful as always. stop by more often and keep your chin up girl! :)

Ginger's Mom
10-24-2006, 05:36 AM
I, too, am very happy to hear from you again, Dawn. However, I am sorry that it is under such stressful circumstances for you. I will definitely keep PJ (and you) in my thoughts and prayers. I have heard of so many dogs leading normal, happy lives after having an eye removed. I am sure that PJ will do fine, too. Especially with such a wonderful family to help him recover.

I sure have missed seeing your cute duo. It has been way too long since I have been able to send virtual hugs to that pretty Bailey. Please pass along some hugs to her from Ginger and I, and then give some to that very brave Peej.

mruffruff
10-24-2006, 07:30 AM
I'm sorry that PJ has to lose the eye. If he can't see with it anyway, he'll probably feel better without it. Sometimes dogs don't let us know when something bothers them.

You might be surprised how quickly he recovers. I think it was only a week after my dog Bear had both eyes removed that he was perky and happy.

Sending prayers for an uncomplicated operation!

Pam
10-24-2006, 07:51 AM
It's good to hear from you again. I'm sorry that PeeJ has to have this sirjury but I think that in the end it will be the best thing for him. Years ago, when I was 12, (yes, many years ago ;) ) my father had to have an eye removed. At the time I wasn't told why, and I am sure it was because I would have been too young to understand. Now I wish that I did know, as for the past 12 years I have been working for an ophthalmologist and have a little understanding about such things. My dad did just fine except for hanging up his car keys and I do believe this is a decision that is not entered into hastily either by a vet or human ophthalmologist. I know from my current employment that long-term use of steroids has a detrimental effect and they should only be used temporarily. When my own boss prescribes them it is always to taper and discontinue eventually. I am glad he will be able to go off the meds, and I know he will do fine, so the ((((hugs)))) are for you.

borzoimom
10-24-2006, 07:53 AM
"Dont find yourself up a creek without a poodle"... rofl! Thats great! :D

zoomer
10-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Awww well it'll do him good, and he'll feel so much better once he has that eye removed! It looks like it hurts. Good luck and you and & Peej will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Pembroke_Corgi
10-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Awww, poor Peej. I hope everything goes well with his operation.

Jadapit
10-24-2006, 10:53 AM
Dawn, I have missed you and your fur kids so much! I'm so glad you posted. Poor Peej, bless his heart. He will be in my thoughts and prayers. Your fur kids are as beautiful as ever. :D

Muddy4paws
10-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Im glad your back! :D I've missed seeing your dogs! Especially your handsome boy

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/meiglan/Picture007.jpg

I know a few dogs with only one eye, I know one that has both eyes removed and they get on just as well as a dog with 2, please dont worry about that dogs dont let something like that hold them back. He will still be as gorgeous as ever, its sad yes but dogs are very strong and he will be just fine! just make sure you give him lots of love!! :D keep us posted on how everything goes and dont leave again!!! :p

Husky15
10-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Poor Peej. He will be in my prayers and thoughts. My cousin's dog is blind in one eye and I think he may be slowly going in the other. They say he cannot see right, but he can see the shadows of things, like if he was looking at my cousin he would see his form, but in a dark shadowy way. Good luck, and what cute doggies you have!

Alysser
10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Aw, poor Peej! I think he'll be much more comfortable without that eye. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.

lv4dogs
10-24-2006, 01:44 PM
There's those 2 cuties. I sure have missed seeing them. I hope his surgery goes well. Yous will be in my thoughts. Your pups look great!

PJ's Mom
10-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Hi everyone!

It's nice to be back even though I don't have as much time to post as I used to. I miss seeing everyone! :)

Peej and Bailey have promised to pose for more pic soon. ;)

jazzcat
10-25-2006, 12:39 AM
HI!!! It's so good to see you and Peej and Bailey. I'm sorry that Peej has to have the surgery but I bet he will do great and feel so much better. I'll be sending good vibes that all goes well.

I hope you'll be posting more. I've missed you!

Glacier
10-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Nice to see you again!

We have all paws crossed for Peej. I hope the surgery is a success and he's feeling better soon.

My brother has a senior cocker spaniel who has glaucoma. Riley has been pretty much blind for years. He had both eyes removed a couple weeks ago. He has no clue that anything has changed, except that he feels better. I hope your sweetie has the same kind of success.

PJ's Mom
10-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks for all the prayers, good thoughts and crossed paws. :)

Peej came through the sirjury just fine. When I saw him, I cried and when we got in the car to leave the Dr's office, we sat there so I could cry a little more. :(

He'll need to be quiet for a couple of days but his eye doctor doesn't forsee any problems. Peej's eye has been sent to pathology and we'll have the results in a couple of weeks.

And here he is. This was taken about 5 minutes ago.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b223/meiglan/Picture011.jpg

K9karen
10-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Poor baby. Peej will look fine once the stitches come out. I hope (the always) handsome pupster isn't in any pain. I'll bet he'll feel better too and won't notice any difference. My friend had a blind Rottie who handled life perfectly, even with the occassional furniture move! I know you feel awful, but you did the right thing. I personally think the steroids would eventually have had more serious side effects. Please wipe your tears and give your honies huge (but gentle) hugs and kisses for me! And xoxo to you too!

CathyBogart
10-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Hey Peej, I'm sure that feels much better. You look handsome as always! Give your mom some extra cuddles, ok? :)

Pam
10-28-2006, 05:34 AM
I personally think the steroids would eventually have had more serious side effects.

I totally agree with Karen. The fact that he has been living without sight in that eye sadly means that he won't notice any difference. The adjustment will be on your part, seeing your sweetie without his eye. He is a handsome little guy just the same. Please give him a couple of gentle hugs from me too. :)

borzoimom
10-28-2006, 05:35 AM
After the swelling goes down, the stictches heal and the hair starts to grow back, he will be just fine. Meanwhile it is hard not to feel sorry for the poor little guy, but actually I bet he feels better than all the irratation it caused before. Remember to protect him for a few days. Things look different to him right now. Like make sure lights are on stairs, and until he learns to turn his head more, things like a ball coming the direction of his eye, he might not be able to see. They learn quick and this should only take a few days to get him use to it. Just protect him, and give him a hug from me !

Daisy and Delilah
10-28-2006, 06:51 AM
Welcome back Dawn. It's so good to hear from you again. Kisses and hugs to Peej. What a beautiful boy he is :)

Ginger's Mom
10-28-2006, 08:27 AM
I was thinking about you and Peej all day yesterday. Glad to hear that the surgery went well, and that he is home recovering. All things considered his eye doesn't look that bad, and it will be much better once the swelling goes down and the healing begins. I do think it will be harder for you to adjust to than it will Peej. {{{Hugs}}} to you and to that handsome fellow. Please keep us updated as he improves.

Alysser
10-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Still as handsome as ever! :D

pitc9
10-28-2006, 09:28 AM
What?? I don't see anything different with your handsome man! :)

He'll always be sweet Peej! 1 or 2 eyes!
I'm sure this is hard for you, but ya know what... the only thing he notices is that his eye doesn't bother him anymore and he doesn't understand why your sad! :)

Hugs to all 3 of you! I'm glad you came back to let us know about this!

ChrisH
10-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Peej and Bailey are two of my favourite PT dogs, it's so good to see them again and Peej with one eye is just as gorgeous as ever. Kisses & hugs to them both. You too.

gemini9961
10-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Dawn, I do believe he looks as handsome as ever. Peej will be fine, he'll show you. ;)

chocolatepuppy
10-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Glad to hear Peej did well in surgery. I'm sure he will do well and feel much better once he's all healed up. He is still as adorable as ever. :)

luvofallhorses
10-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm so glad Peej did well in surgery. :) even though he has just one eye, he is still handsome as ever. :) give the sweet boy a gentle hug for me and Bailey, too! :)

Muddy4paws
10-28-2006, 02:42 PM
Im glad everything went well, thats the most important thing! His eye will look alot better once its cleared up, I think he still looks as good as ever! Try and cheer up he will be perfectly fine, I bet its a relief for him to be cleared of having a bad eye :)

PJ's Mom
10-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Thanks everyone. Maybe my reaction was partially due to the relief that his surgery was a success. :)

Bailey keeps sniffing it. I guess she knows something is wrong.

borzoimom
10-29-2006, 05:08 AM
Thanks everyone. Maybe my reaction was partially due to the relief that his surgery was a success. :)

Bailey keeps sniffing it. I guess she knows something is wrong.
Maybe- but keep an eye on Bailey. Remember they think they are helping if they lick a "wound".. Even seperate if you can not watch them just to be safe.

anna_66
11-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Dawn, I'm so glad to hear that Peej came through the surgery just fine. It's been a few days since you've posted...how's the sweetie doing? Great I hope.
Are you getting a little more used to seeing him like that? I personally think that would be the hardest thing to get used to.

Lots of love and hugs
Anna