PDA

View Full Version : Red Ear Slider Hatchling

Addie
10-22-2006, 06:57 PM
I just bought a red ear slider hatchling....(If i can find out how to get pics from iPhoto onto here I will post them) and I have been looking online and researching them. If anyone can help me with them or have had past expierences with them, I will take any and all tips!

Chilli
10-22-2006, 07:22 PM
You do know they can to ALOT of work, right?
First, what kind of habitat do you have him in now?

Addie
10-22-2006, 07:33 PM
I know...I had a box turtle before...except he was full grown...

right now I have him in a plastic container with rocks and a heating pad underneath to warm the water. I change his water every day to prevent eye infections...I have little hatchling pellets...for food...but he doesn't seem interested in eating them...(I assume it's a male...) I have the heating pad because im from PA...and it's cold here...and I'm getting a lamp tomorrow...and I have a makeshift one for tonight...

Chilli
10-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Maybe try some white turkey lunchmeat? Sometimes they don't eat because the water isn't warm enough... but I'd assume it would be warm enough if it had a heating pad..

Addie
10-22-2006, 08:03 PM
okay...i'll get my brother to feed him any meat...im a vegitarian...lol...when I got him he came with tiny brown pellets...could it be that he isn't eating right away because he was stressed from the shipping tot eh reptile show?

Chilli
10-23-2006, 07:09 AM
He very well could just be adjusting to his new home. Though when I had my RES for a short time, he ate on the second day.
Is there any way you could check the temp. of the water?

On a side note, I'm a vegetarian, also. I still feel my pets meat by myself, as I don't mind sacrificing my comfort for the well-being of my pet. =)

Addie
10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
okay...since the light has been on and the heating pad has warmed it up drastically...and my mom hjad her window open. :P so the house is warm and so is the water...it's in the 80's...he loves it! As for food...I haven't noticed any pellets missing so if he doesn't eat by tomorrow morning I will put in some turkey so he has time to eat it :) and I don't monitor him just overnight...