PDA

View Full Version : lavender plants

Boo's Mom
06-06-2002, 10:57 AM
Hey! I'm new here. Does anybody know if lavender plants are dangerous to cats? I saw one at the nursery this morning and I'd like to have it here in the house but I don't know about Boo Boo. I don't want to take any chances. Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Karen
06-06-2002, 11:05 AM
It doesn't appear on the lengthy list I found here:

http://www.geocities.com/stuartplaid/toxic.html

So it may be safe. I have a little lavendar plant by the kitchen door, and I wondered if Miss Hoppy (my bunny) would eat some of it. She ate a whole row of lavender seedlings once, but they were sunning on "her" windowsill, so it may have had more to do with that than with their taste!

Boo's Mom
06-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Thanks! I'll got check that site now for info on other plants. LOL about Miss Hoppy! How dare a plant invade his lounging territory!

Boo's Mom
06-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Her lounging territory, not his! Sorry!

Karen
06-06-2002, 12:59 PM
It was funny - she ignored them for a few weeks, so I thought they were safe, until they were just about big enough to transplant and then... snip snip munch munch gone!!!

06-07-2002, 11:37 AM
aw , I visited that site with toxic plants !!!
I did not realise that there were so many !!!
I am glad that my Sydney is an indoor cat !!!
Karen , is this the same for rabbits ?? We have a rabbit too and she often sits outside in the grass !

Karen
06-07-2002, 11:42 AM
I don;t think it's the same for rabbits at all - cats are meat-eaters by nature, bunnies are plant-eaters, so I imagine their nutrritional needs are completely different.

Miss Hoppy will eat choice pieces of grass, but we'd have to have a whole herd of bunnies to replace the lawn moser - she's very picky! (And has never gotten sick after eating anything she found outdoors, either. ;)